Forces-of-Nature Forums
Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

March so far in the Forces-of-Nature Diaries
Total Entries: 17151
This Months Entries: 27
My Total Entries: 0
My Entries this Month: 0
Most Active Members:
justal (10 entries)
squiz (10 entries)
maker (4 entries)
Most Stoked Members:
squiz (Stoke Factor: 44 )
justal (Stoke Factor: 38 )
maker (Stoke Factor: 13 )

Member Details Session Description
Toys Used
Owner: squiz

Member#: 6644
Registered: 27-05-2007
Diary Entries: 1869

5th January 2018
Windsurfing: Point Clear
Wind Direction: W
Wind Stength: 10/20
Surf / Sea State: flatish
Air Temperature: 7
Sea Temperature:
Weather: sunny
Max Speed: 26.62 (knots - unless stated otherwise)
Distance Covered: 19.11 (Nautical Miles - unless stated otherwise)

Friday 5th January – windsurfing **** Point Clear – sunny

25.62 kt. max, 23.94 kt. ave., 10.26 kt. hr., 19.92 kt mile, 31.70 km., 17.10 kt. alpha.

It was always going to be a bit of a risk going to Point Clear today but the forecast had improved when I checked first thing, so after a phone call from Neil Hurrell plus a message from Craig we were all set. It was supposed to be wall to wall sunshine but it rained before we left and the wind in Felixstowe was only 6 knots:( The rain soon cleared and when we arrived at Point Clear there was a clear blue sky approaching from Mersea Island. I had just said to Mag that I didn’t want to get stuck on the green then promptly got stuck fast by driving on the wet grass. It was stupid to even try as Neil and Craig had wisely parked in the far carpark! After unhitching the trailer, they tried to push us out but failed, so Craig went and got his car and soon pulled us out:)
Simon Hill had also arrived so the next decision to make was what gear to use? With clearing skies, the wind was building but we decided on big kit, me 8.5, Neil 8, Craig 7.2 and Simon 8.6 on our biggest short boards. The wind seemed to be building making me doubt my kit choice went by the time I was ready to set off the wind had dropped :( The other three had a flounder but I decided against it and Neil and Craig found getting back against the tide a struggle. Mag went for a nice walk down the beach and back along the river path. I was cold now so had a cheese roll with Mag in the van as the wind began to build:) We then set off across the bay, my boom was too high so I landed at the far end to lower it and my hands were cold already! I set off heading towards East Mersea just missing the green triangle post and got going in places but ran out of wind at Brightlingsea so turned landing again by the fence at the end of the beach to warm my hands. The next run with the wind a little better I sailed past Brightlingsea and keep going three miles up the River Colne. This is a great area to sail but the wind got lighter the further I went so I gybed and headed slowly back against the tide. As I passed the shelter of East Mersea the wind increased and I had a god run into the lagoon. The tide was very high now with most of the shingle bank and marshes under water so it was difficult to get your bearing and in the end, I ran aground! I wind was a good 20 knots now but the lagoon was pretty lumpy, Craig was going well on his 7.2 and Neil changed down his board size. There wasn’t enough time to rig smaller and I was never hugely overpowered so had some fun in the lagoon getting several 25 kt runs. So, the two Star session became a Four-Star session and when the sun went behind a cloud it was time to back up as the temperature soon drops! I have never seen the tide so high and all the beach disappeared, we all had a good afternoon nice to get out before the temperature drops. We were the only four sailors out each travelling an hour to get there, where were the locals today ???

Photo Gallery Here

Toys Used:
F2 Xantos CS 310 147
Tushingham Lightning 8.5
Gull Delta L



About MY Statsbar



No. of Views: 393
Facebook Stumbleupon Digg




back to top

Web Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...