Board logo

65knots!!
shem - 23-6-2004 at 16:50

As Im working part time in the harbour office, I get updated with weather conditions, etc. Last nights highest wind reading was a massive 65 knots at Barmouth harbour!!!!! Aberdyfi and tywyn was an official force 9, dropping to 8 this afo. Hardcore!!

justal - 23-6-2004 at 17:34

65 knots sounds a bit much to me!!..... Aberporth Bouy and Pembroke weather stations have shown maximumn sustained winds of about 30 knots.. Peaking once last night, then dropped off this morning and once again picked up throughout the day (and are still rising now).

I measured a maximum gust of 39 knots whilst on the beach earlier, and sailing in that certainly was hardcore. Chirs was out kiting as well, although he did pack up once the wind hit about 30 knots!!!... Not surprising really.

Its not exactly 'summery' out there either.

Al.

rob - 23-6-2004 at 19:17

sounds like 0.5m nasa wing weather to me!!

justal - 23-6-2004 at 19:21

Chris has just been back out in 35-40 knots with his 5m Wipika.... It looked pretty lively out there!!!

Al.

rob - 23-6-2004 at 19:30

in 40kts i imagine a tesco bag is quite lively!!!

its been quite windy here lately but its really gusty. no fun. noticed a few trees have been snapped though... had it been a steady 35kts i might have been tempted to get out there!

shem - 26-6-2004 at 06:53

Barmouth was so windy that yauchts where dragging theyre mourings and the life boat had to go out from 2am till 6 am recovering boats. Tywyn has been really windy as well.

chris - 26-6-2004 at 07:24

yep it was bloody mad out there. mike tried to launch his 8m cabrinha, but it was too much. the 7m wipika was o.k but the gusts were moving the kite was all over the place in the end the kite folded in on its self, so i bailed. derek was loving the conditions and was sailing way out in the massive wind swell.

didn't think i'd be using the 7m this time of year.