Board logo

Help! - first kite buy
Fi - 9-10-2005 at 20:47

My boyfriend wants to get into kite surfing and I'd like to buy him a kite for his 30th bday. Having no clue myself and being overwhelmed by the amount of sites there are PLEASE can you advise what size, make etc are best?
Thank you so much.

justal - 9-10-2005 at 21:25

I think you'll need to give us some more info... How much does he weigh, how much experience (if any) does he have, what sort of conditions will he kitesurf in? What kites has he used in the past?

If he hasn't been out at all before then maybe a kitesurf lesson or two would be a more useful birthday present??

Al.

shem - 10-10-2005 at 07:16

Sound as a pound advice AL!!

From personal experience I find its best for people to try a few different kites before they splash out, to make sure they like what they have bought.

justal - 10-10-2005 at 07:29

I thought you might agree with me there Shem!!

adam - 10-10-2005 at 20:17

Agree with these two

If he hasn't flown even on land before definately a good idea, where are you based sure someone could recommend a local instructor. Even with land experience recommended to have a lesson for the safety side of things at least, I am just starting and about to do the same.

Could also get him a smallish foil kite for flying on land as practice first if he hasn't flown a kite at all, would be something to open on the day too?

Something like a 1.5 or 2m Ozone Imp on a bar would be good and then when he moves on to the bigger kites you can use it

Others may think its a waste of money just an idea?!

adam - 10-10-2005 at 20:23

Heres a link

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/kites/ozoneimp05.htm

Fi - 10-10-2005 at 22:47

Al, thanks for the good advice. Genius suggestion!
He is relocating to Derry, Northern Ireland in December so I am investigating instructors there. Haven't come up with anything yet so if anyone knows of somewhere in N.I. I could arrange lessons I'd be grateful.

Thanks for all the suggestions. He has a 2 metre flexifoil land kite at the moment but I think picking the right kite for surfing for him would need to be his decision.

willf - 11-10-2005 at 11:28

sky sports are mobile teachers in ireland they travel any where- revolution@skysportz.co they even have offer of male or FEMALE instructers!! not sure how open your relashe is !!!

willf - 11-10-2005 at 11:29

or get ferry to troon in scotland where they do lessons is great spot tooo i learnt there. extreme zone.

Fi - 12-10-2005 at 09:41

Will, Can I double check the email address with you: 'revolution@skysportz.co.uk'. I sent them a query and it bounced back. Thanks.

justal - 12-10-2005 at 10:31

try revolution@skysportz.com

Al.

boardertatt - 2-11-2007 at 12:52

boardertatt - 2-11-2007 at 12:55

Hi Fi,

I live in NI and there are a few guys who do lessons. One of the more prominent and most respected is Eddie at wildrovertours.co.uk, he travels to the student and spends a lot of time teaching in Donegal (approx 1 hr from Derry). If you're boyfriend is reloacting tell him to log on to Nikiteforum.com where most of the locals log on, he'll be able to get a few contacts from here. hope this helps.

Scotty