Board logo

ripped sail
paul - 13-4-2003 at 19:52

well I had a great session today with my 5.4, and when I came to de-rig I found a 6 inch tear in the monofilm, figured I could probably repair this with some duck tape anyone else had any experience with DIY sail repairs ? ?

SeanBo - 13-4-2003 at 22:09

I have had/done more than my fair share of sail repairs!

Does the rip meet a seam or batten? If it does then there is a good chance that a (suck it and see) bodge job, or a pro repair is the only way to go.

If not then there are good alternatives. Duck (duct?) tape will work, but will slowly peel off (5+ sessions depending on position on sail). It will also look ugly!

Best option is some Mylar (clear) tape. It is fairly expensive (about £5 for a 2M roll), but worth the money. Make sure the rip is clean (soapy water, then rinse with fresh water, then dry completely) and then apply carefully.

When applying, try and make sure there are few, if any, air-pockets. Try not to touch the sticky side of the tape (very difficult!). Finally trim the corners so that there are no 45+ degree corners.

Another option is to Mylar tape one side (see comments above) and then apply a 'decent' sticker on the other side (JP and F2 make some great ones that are about the right size, I am sure the other manufacturers do as well)

If you do decide to get a pro repair done, it seems to pay to go direct rather than through a shop. The shop wil add convenience of drop off and pick up times, but will also add thier margin!

Hope it works out!

SeanBo

paul - 14-4-2003 at 07:59

cheers for the info I might try and track down some of that mylar tape, it'll do for a few sessions untill I get around to getting the panel replaced, the tear is no where near a seam or a battern so should be ok.

I know what you mean about not getting shops to organise repairs, it takes too long and costs to much, in the past I've taken damaged sails to Lodey Sails and had panels replaced and they've done really good jobs on them.

justal - 14-4-2003 at 15:46

Most windsurf shops will sell the mylar tape... Its pretty good stuff, I always keep some in my repair box along with neoprene glue, Dr ding, fibreglass resin sandpaper etc.

Surfstore sell it as well if you can't find any locally.

Al.

justal - 16-4-2003 at 07:03

Gun sell it as well in a 100mmx1000mm roll for £5

I'm there now placing an order!!!

Al.

paul - 16-4-2003 at 08:02

an order for what ? ? not more toys ?

badexcuseforasailor - 16-4-2003 at 09:35

You can never have enough Toys
just not enough money to buy them

justal - 16-4-2003 at 15:46

The order was as follows!!..

I wonder if it'll get here by the weekend?

Nothing too exciting really, just replacing stuff that has worn out. I need some downhaul rope too, but can't get it around here... Hopefully Dazza has got some for me.

Not sure of the exact price of all that yet either, about £200 I think... Not bad really, up to normal prices.

Also got a bargain on a set of 40m 500lb Flexifoil Hydrolines too... £40.00

Al.

paul - 16-4-2003 at 16:02

quote:
0cm Pro Classic mast extension ?

not much of an extension is it...........

justanna - 16-4-2003 at 16:05

Congratulations on becomming a 'Force of Nature' Paul

justal - 16-4-2003 at 16:06

Thats what I thought... I always used to call that a mast cup but they seem to call them zero cm extensions these days!!

Think I shall try to make one fully functional boom out of my two older booms as well... One has a bent arm, the other doesn't fix to the mast too well... Should be a simple thing to swap an arm from the one with a slipping front-end to the one with a bent arm. Then I'll have a nice new boom, one that is fine and one that slips and is bent!!... Anyone want to buy a boom!!!

Hows it going with the sail repair?

Al.