Board logo

Artificial Reef at Borth
justanna - 21-5-2003 at 10:43

The plans for the artificial reef at Borth have made it onto the BBC Wales website

It doesn't appear to have much more information that the article in the Cambrain News a couple of weeks ago but it does look as if it is eing seriously considered

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/3044349.stm

badexcuseforasailor - 21-5-2003 at 11:49

Al may not have the water all to him self if you get the reef. Has to be better than groynes though or needing a board to sail to the shops on a high tide.

Jumping Jack - 23-5-2003 at 06:06

It does seem as though the reefs are the best option.

In the poll I'd like to say 'do nothing and let nature take its course', and in a ideal world thats what I'd go for, but it looks as though the people of Borth need some sort of coastal protection and the reefs seem like the best choice.

JJ

robyn - 10-7-2003 at 15:12

Hi, i'm a student at the marine school in falmouth, cornwall, i don't really know anything about the aritificial reef beeing considered for borth but i'm after someone who knows whats going on with the proposed reef in newquay as i'm thinkin of doing my dissertation on some environmental aspect to do with it. There's loads of stuff on the internet but haven't really found anything up to date, it all stops at the feasability study.
cheers
ilikeseaweed@hotmail.com

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by robyn]

justanna - 10-7-2003 at 15:26

Have you had a look at this site? They are supposed to be doing both reefs (Borth and Newquay) but don't appear to be doing much on either. You could ask them though!

http://www.asrltd.co.nz/

SinistaPenguin - 11-9-2003 at 12:59

It seems that ASR are pretty busy in the UK at the moment, not only are they considering reefs in Borth and Newquay, but there is supposed to be one going in at Boscombe Pier in Bournemouth over this winter. I haven't managed to find out if this is true and there is no mention of any of the UK reefs on ASR's website. It appears that there's a lot of talking going on and feasability studies etc, but nothing actually happening.

justal - 11-9-2003 at 18:07

Don't want to be too cynical about it all, but ASR get paid quite a tidy sum just for carrying out the feasibilty study, so I guess Kerry Black is happy!!

Al.