Board logo

MAST CAM - Home made
Hans@BW - 9-5-2004 at 06:45

Hi all,

Heres a pic I took on hols in Gran Canaria - Bahia Feliz. Best thing was when I was fixing my 'Heath Robinson' effort of a mast cam there were all these Germans milling round dropping snide comments - dissing my fun! Well I think is is kind a proof that it worked...

Jeanette - 9-5-2004 at 13:41

Looks brilliant Hans!

How is the building of your own board coming along?

justal - 9-5-2004 at 14:58

Cool.... Maybe a 'kite-cam' should be next, you could get some cool aerial photos of the whole beach from one of those!

Al.

Hans@BW - 10-5-2004 at 06:05

J, I have finished building the board and I am pretty stoked by it I managed to get the final weight to 6.5kg. If I can find them I'll post some pics... It is really great in the waves like wave riding with slippers on - real comfortable. It should have been 80 litres but I think it's a bit less. It has a liitle too much tail rocker so it's not as quick but it's lovely in gybes and slashing around on waves!

Hans.

Hans@BW - 25-5-2004 at 05:20

J,

Found some pics half way through making the board - just starting to put the foot strap plugs in...

Have some of the first time I used it at Rozzy being developed - will post these if there ok....?

Looks like I've got to do this with separate posts - sorry...

Hans.

Hans@BW - 25-5-2004 at 05:24

Pic2

Sorry about the last one forgot to save it low res for the web - hope this doesn't take so long to download.

Hans.

Hans@BW - 25-5-2004 at 05:25

Last one.... promise.

Hans.

justal - 25-5-2004 at 05:43

Looks promising.... Look forward to seeing the shots of it in action. Did you give it an intersting custom spray job??

Al.

Hans@BW - 27-5-2004 at 22:27

Al,

Just gel coated it white with some funky stickers on it. I did think about a cool spray job, but I was just desparate to get it on the water and so didn't bother in the end...

I have had the pics back and will get them scanned in soon.

Hans.

justal - 28-5-2004 at 05:59

Cool.... So how much did it actually cost to build? I guess a blank that size costs a fair bit.

Al.

Hans@BW - 29-5-2004 at 21:41

Al,

Got the pics scanned in of the first day that I took the board out. I was so nervous about damaging the board after all the hard work and effort I had put in to making it..!

Pretty scary day, it was onshore - which I hate sailing in, the waves were a size.... and later on I got thrashed in the killing zone right in the middle opposite the rocks after messing up a gybe - the kit got snatched out of my hands and I had a 40 min swim back to the beach. No damaged to the kit but I was knackered and shaken up!

Enjoy the pics,

Hans.

Hans@BW - 29-5-2004 at 21:43

More...

Hans@BW - 29-5-2004 at 21:45

And more..

Hans@BW - 29-5-2004 at 21:47

Hans@BW - 29-5-2004 at 21:49

And finally..

Hans@BW - 18-6-2004 at 22:49

Al,

Sorry mate - just read your last post on this. In total including all costs for making the hot box, vac bag, Airex & Herex materials, glass and carbon fibre, resin, foam blank foot strap plugs / fin / mast track / gel coat cost me around £450 maybe £500. I think it would definately be cheaper if I make another one. Do you want to commision one.......

Hans.

kelvin - 23-7-2004 at 08:15

hans looking for some info on mast cam , what can you ,mail me
kel

Hans@BW - 22-1-2005 at 07:23

Kel,

Did you still want the info on the camera?

Hans.

kelvin - 22-1-2005 at 08:49

yes the project is still on the burner , although waiting a bit warmer climes before spending time messing around, been doing lots of trail riding so up to my neck in bike repairs in spare time .