Board logo

best beaches for kite surfing
charlie - 2-10-2002 at 16:01

I'm staying with friends in West Wales this weekend, solva i think, and as i don't know the area was wondering if anyone can recommend a good beach to kite at, preferably where there will be other kiters.

justal - 2-10-2002 at 18:32

If you're staying at Solva, then head to Newgale, its pretty good there for kiting (both on the sand and in the water).

Al.

mal - 8-10-2002 at 16:37

Hi
I'm possibly meeting friends in Aberdyfi this weekend - and up for kitesurfing and/or mountain board on the beach. Are there many kitesurfers out at weekends ? If so - does it work in the estuary (on the southern side) and therefore make it pretty much an all wind direction spot ? or is it just on the oceanside of the bars ?
I'm an 'improver'(?) so would like to hook up with someone with local knowledge if poss - where do they meet up ? Appreciate any pointers.
Also - if I have to come to the southside of the estuary - how long is the drive (I'm with family). I assume there is no 'water taxi' or owt.

thanks

justal - 8-10-2002 at 18:16

Hi Mal,
Good to see new members here. You can kitesurf both on the seafront or in the estuary at Aberdovey, and with high tides around midday this weekend, the estuary should be perfect for an 'improver'. People windsurf and kitesurf from both the Aberdovey side of the estuary and the Borth side, and its not actually that far across the estuary, so we quite often sail across the whole width of the estuary and land on the beach on the opposite side.

It takes about 40 minutes to drive around, but about 2 minutes to windsurf it!!

Basically, it will depend on the wind direction as to the best place for you to launch. NE is onshore on the Borth side of the estuary, Southerly is onshore on the Aberdovey side. SW is onshore on the seafront at Aberdovey and Westerly in onshore on the seafront at Borth. There are a couple of local kitsurfers and there will be quite a few windsurfers around if there is wind forecast.

Have a good time.

Al.

mal - 8-10-2002 at 21:13

nice one - may see you there ....
yellow/black flysurfer warrior and yellow board.

mal

shem - 21-12-2003 at 17:05

Hi Al. Found this old forum thread whilst web surfing, just wandering if any members come down to Aberdyfi now adays??

rush - 29-12-2003 at 08:51

or maybe S.Wales!
Anywhere as long as it's Wales!

Good Luck Shem with your new site!
www.rushextreme.co.uk

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by rush]

[Edited on 29-12-2003 by rush]