Board logo

kiteboard gokova Turkey
K?ùTEBOARDGOKOVA - 17-3-2008 at 00:43

Best location of Turkey for beginners and intermediate riders
Kiteboarding school, Naish shop and latest equipment rental
IKO instructors
6 months 14-24 knot wind (april-november)
very cheap accommodation
www.kiteboardgokova.com
info@kiteboardgokova.com
[Edited on 8-4-2008 by K?ùTEBOARDGOKOVA]

[Edited on 9-4-2008 by K?ùTEBOARDGOKOVA]

[Edited on 13-4-2008 by K?ùTEBOARDGOKOVA]

[Edited on 13-4-2008 by K?ùTEBOARDGOKOVA]

kite-turkey - 30-3-2011 at 17:03

Gokova is defo a sweet spot which is only just becoming known to British riders. It's got great conditions from end of May to September... with a stable thermal wind averaging 18-25 knots. Contact us if you need help with accommodation, transfers, rental or courses. We've also got centres in Alacati and Urla (3.5 hours drive), so you could ride all three spots in a week. For details and contacts visit http://www.kite-turkey.com />

[Edited on 30-3-2011 by kite-turkey]

Loxley - 1-2-2012 at 12:46

Hi all, well I am booked for 10 days in Gokova at the start of May so I will give a full and honest review when I return.

Seems a bit thin on the kitesurf thread these days.
Where has everyone gone ?

Mark

rusty tdi - 11-5-2012 at 17:42

Lots of spot pimping on gokova by kite schools. its a good place to kite a bit busy and dangerous these days. great place to learn new tricks. The wind never really gets windy. i have been using an 11m bow kite there for the last 5 years and find it a bit light and i am 9 stone. if i was a big guy i would take a 11m and 13 or 14 m. you will need a car or a 30 min walk. And its a 10 Turkish Lira/ £4 charge to use the beach

Loxley - 22-6-2012 at 11:59

Ok, so I am a bit slow in replying / updating, but here is my review of Gokova.

Visited for the first 10 days of May 2012.

This is a 'big' kite only sort of place, especially for someone my size ( 95kg / 15 stone ).
I was using the 15m everyday, could really have done with the 17m.

The wind did blow everyday but one. It doesn't show til around lunchtime and tended to be gone by about 6pm.

It is predominantly onshore, very very marginally cross shore.

Water is warm and not that salty. Rash vest and boardies only or a 2mm shortie at best. Locals were wearing longer suits, but then that tends to be the case abroad where to them its not that warm, but to us would seem hot.

Shallow water, ankle to knee deep for 50m out, then waist deep to chest deep maybe another 100m or so, then deeper still. You can see a definite 'drop' off line where the water changes colour. Very clear water though and a sandy bottom so no need for boots.

The main area in front of the schools is best avoided and go past the breakwater where there is actually better wind.

I regularly sailed the whole width of the bay.

It really is good for begineers, the wind is not that strong as it's warm, but it is pretty consistent. It's not really flat though, just constant small chop, Dovey estuary will seem like a millpond in comparison.

The town area of Gokova/Akyaka is small. There are a few bars and shops, some nice fish restaurants, but above all it's a relaxed place. It would be ok for couples or families to visit as the town has a nice beach, not massive, but convenient.

I wouldnt rush to go back as it's not challenging enough, no waves obviously and no actual large area of flat water to really skim about on, but I would recommend it.

Easy 1 hour drive from Dalaman airport on the main road to Mugla.

I have posted a few videos on you tube search for MarkHoughtonsChannel to get a kite eye view of the area or pm me for more info.