Board logo

Big Waves spots
PJohnson - 18-8-2005 at 13:44

Can anyone advise me where the best known heaviest big waves can be found? Im doing a photo shoot and Im looking for the best spots worldwide.

Thanks for your help

justal - 29-8-2005 at 12:55

Not being funny, but I would imagine in order to do a photo shoot of some of the 'heaviest' waves in the world then you would need to know a thing or two about waves and how to operate in such environments... Anyone who has the knowledge to do such a thing should really already know the names and whereabouts of such waves.

Al.

kelvin - 2-9-2005 at 10:48

thats a subtle put down Al !
I,ll suggest Knap Barry at high tide on a big wind/swell
One big shore dump of a wave garanteed to break any kit / body in its way !

justal - 2-9-2005 at 15:30

Well, I didn't want to encourage someone who 'might' know very little about big waves to paddle out at Teahupoo with a video camera strapped to thier head!!!

Al.

Airborne - 3-9-2005 at 21:37

Ah very wise Al, i agree with you, but what if he's operating a land camera? I've never really thought about it, but is there much danger on the sand with land camera's at these heavy wave spots

justal - 3-9-2005 at 21:54

Yeah, OK, but most of the worlds REALLY heavy wave spots are quite a way offshore!!

Al.

Airborne - 3-9-2005 at 22:06

Yeah definatly, good point...dunno what kind of lense you'd have to use to zoom in to those places...you got me there

Northend - 13-7-2006 at 17:35

This is a good starting point for finding the worlds biggest waves but with the exception of Waimea and Pipeline they are all way offshore:
http://www.extremehorizon.com/bigwaves.asp

booger - 19-2-2007 at 11:34

quote:
Originally posted by Northend
This is a good starting point for finding the worlds biggest waves but with the exception of Waimea and Pipeline they are all way offshore:
http://www.extremehorizon.com/bigwaves.asp

Shipsterns?? You can even tell from the name that its not way offshore