Board logo

Borth BST beach bash
justal - 17-1-2004 at 20:37

Its that time of year again... time to start planning the first Forces-of-Nature beach meeting and due to its popularity last year, the first one will once again be in Borth, West Wales on the weekend the clocks go forward, 27th & 28th March 2004.

For those who haven't joined us before, basically its a very informal affair where we all meet up for a weekend and indulge in our favourite Forces-of-Nature sports. The last one in October was a roaring success with around 40 people turning up, so hopefully the first one of 2004 will be just as good.

The 27th & 28th March should be a good weekend, as not only do the clocks go forward, but high tides are around midday and are fairly small, giving plenty of opportunity for water and land-based sports either on the seafront or in the estuary.

For those who don't know the area, Borth is a 4 mile long sandy beach that faces west. The surf can be OK and sometimes really good, but the conditions for windsurfing, kitesurfing and land-based beach sports are perfect. The hard packed wide sandy beach is just excellent for kite-buggying, land-yatching etc. Windsurfing is possible in any wind direction, with SSW through to NNW being best on the seafront. These winds provide perfect bump and jump conditions or onshore wave-sailing conditions. If a big SW is blowing then it does get big and gnarly, but under such conditions we tend to sail from the Lifeboat Station at the south of the beach where the cliffs provide a little protection and the waves are smaller and cleaner.

Occasionally dead Southerly or Northerly winds provide cross-shore sailing. These (especially the southerlies) can be accompanied by waves, or can be fairly flat. SE winds can be OK and provide some cross-offshore wave-sailing on rare occassions, but the wind is often gusty. NE and Easterly winds are sailable on the seafront, but we tend to head to the estuary at Ynyslas in these wind directions as the valley there funnels the wind increasing it by at least 10 knots, and often more like 20 knots. It can often produce good 5m sailing conditions when everywhere is still. The water state in here is anything from mirror smooth to mad confused chop.

Kitesurfing is possible from both the sea front or in the estuary where the flat waters can be perfect.

The town itself is fairly small and rarely busy. There are three pubs, a couple of general stores and lots of campsites to choose from. The Youth Hostel is pretty good for acommodation too. (I'll post a more comprehensive list of accomodation options soon.)

Kite Surf Wales have said that they will be on hand for the weekend and will give free taster sessions to those interested in taking up kite-powered sports.

As usual it will probably turn into a long weekend and start on the Friday when we'll meet either on the beach during the day or in the Friendship pub (Borth) in the evening, and that will be the plan for Sat and Sun too.

We obviously can't control the weather, but whatever happens on that front hopefully we'll all find something to do to amuse ourselves...even if we have to do a gorge walk!!!

If you're going to join us then post a reply here and we'll look out for you.

Oh, and start praying for perfect conditions.

Al.

Nugget - 17-1-2004 at 21:02

Hey Al, long time since I've been to Borth (good memories) book me a place in the car park, see you there.

shem - 17-1-2004 at 21:16

Yip, should be a good weekend, and the KITE SURF WALES, toy box,(van) will be there, if people want to try kiting for the first time. If theres a big enough response maybe I could get the caution and globe rider guys up with some kit for us to play with, what do you think????

C you all there.

Spencer - 18-1-2004 at 15:14

hi Al,
99% sure ill pop up for that weekend,just checked my work plan & ive got sat sun mon off so this w/end falls nicely as i have to work every other w/end on this continental shift.If the wind & sea state is anyhting like last time should be a good one!!!
Spence...

Nick - 18-1-2004 at 20:35

Excellent, count me in, I'm really looking forward to it. If the forecast looks good I might use one or two of those precious annual leave days to make it a long weekend....it seemed to work last time.

Hi Nugget - most impressed with your trek to Hunstanton...I was watching rugby on Sat afternoon and it was f'ing freezing. Where do you sail locally - Hallow, Bredon, Pershore etc?

cheers

Nick

zelwaters - 19-1-2004 at 09:16

hello, so the 27th and 28th, fancy that, have to book it off, cheers for the notice,

isnt borth beautiful, took a peak there on saturday, took me 4 hours to drive down, hopefully it will be quicker next time!

hey al, any good places to go out in aber? night wise!

Dave - 19-1-2004 at 16:33

Hey Zel - Which way did you go? It only takes me 2 and half hours from Sale. (When I visit my Mum).

Anyhow I'll be around for that weekend, so see you all then.

justal - 19-1-2004 at 20:07

quote:
Originally posted by zelwaters
hey al, any good places to go out in aber? night wise!

Tonnes of them.... You'll be amazed at how many pubs there are in Aber, I think it has more bars etc per population than anywhere else.

There aren't many clubs though, the few I can think of that have late licenses are The Glen (on the seafront towards the cliff railway), The Bay, along the same bit of road, Pier Pressure (on the pier funnily enough), and the 'up-market' Brasserie (also on the Pier), The Academy, (up towards the castle) and the club by the clock-tower that has a new name, but has previously been called Porky's and K2... And of course there the Student Union up on the campus.

Also, if you are in the right place at the right time there are numerous pubs where lock-ins ar common-place... Some which you can pretty much guarantee it!!

On the 27th-28th we'll end up in the Friendship in Borth.

Al.

zelwaters - 20-1-2004 at 23:18

hey al, cheers for that, i went to the Bay on sat nite, was not that great to start off with, but went back later on after a couple more drinks and had a laugh. was looking for some rock nites out, oh i dindt tell you, i stayed over at this pub/ motel, and my bed looked like something featured out of the adams family, where fester sinks into the bed like a coffin, only got one hours kip.

Dave, sorry only just read ur post, sent a u2u after seeing someone mention u could do dale to borth in 2.5 hours, il ask u again how did u do it??

i followed on the map what i thought ws the quickest route, but ended up trekking through snowdonia national park! took 4 hours if not longer,, then on the way back accidently followed a different route which on the map looks longer, but took bout the same time! i always follow m56 then a55 takes bout an hour

zel

zelwaters - 20-1-2004 at 23:19

by the way i live in sale, well kinda, my boyf does, but i live in cheadle hulme

justal - 21-1-2004 at 06:49

Looks as though Dave's Sale to Borth route is in demand... Post it here dave as Thodd and Bodhi want it as well.

Al.

zelwaters - 21-1-2004 at 09:24

indeed

justal - 21-1-2004 at 15:12

As promised, for those who need it, here is a list of possible accomodation options in and around Borth.

A Fron Caravan Park
Borth
SY24 5LR Tel: 01970 611200

Brynrodyn Caravan and Leisure park
Borth
SY24 5NR Tel: 01970 871472

The Mill House Caravan Park
Dol-y-Bont
Borth
SY24 5LX Tel: 01970 871481

Ty Mawr Caravan Park
Ynyslas
Borth
SY24 5LB Tel: 01970 871327

Bryn Owen caravan site...pretty big, just down the road from the Lifeboat Station. (01970 871366)

Sea Rivers. Just down the road from the Estuary at Ynyslas. (01970 871399)

Pen Y Graig Farm Caravan Park. (01970 871717).

Glanlerry... This one is just outside of Borth and looks quite nice whenever I drive past it. (01970 871413)

Golden Sands... (01970 871440)

Cambrian Coast... Up by the Golf Course Car park so a nice little walk/stagger along the beach to/fromthe pub.

I think thats it for caravan sites.

Now for some B&B's etc.

Picnic
High Street, Borth, Ceredigion, SY24 5JP.
Phone: 01970 871346 Fax: 0870 1287114 (From £17.50 per night)

Grosvenor
Borth, SY24 5JS
01970 871459

Glanmor Hotel
01970 871689

Pebbles
01970 871362

Maesteg B & B
Borth Dyfed
SY24 5JP
Tel: 01970 871928

Another popular option is the Youth Hostel... BEFS will tell you all about that, but he seems to like it there. This is his info on the place from last time:

quote:
Originally posted by badexcuseforasailor
If you don't mind sharing a dorm the hostel is great £10.25 for the night then £5 ish for evening meal and £4 for breakfast(or theres a selfcatering kitchen if you want to cook)

Book here borth yha

0870 770 5708

you have to be a member of the yha though £13 for a year memebership

I'm not sure which ones will be open in March, but the list above should give you something to start with.... I just copied it from the thread about the last trip to Borth so let me know if any of the details are out of date. You'll also find lots of info on Borth and its conditions in that thread (including my amazing sketch map of the beach on page 2!)

Looks like it could turn into a good meeting. Hopefully the first of several this year.

Al.

MartinF - 22-1-2004 at 09:50

Hey Al,

Weather willing, I'll be there. I've sworn I'll make it up to Borth this year, so count me in.

AndyW - 22-1-2004 at 13:00

Al,

Really enjoyed the last meet so count us in.

We might even get Jules back in the water.

Or at the very least kiting of some kind and as always I need my photographer to record the event.

Andy & Jules!

Thodd - 22-1-2004 at 13:16

Al,

Is the place near the Golf Course just a case of finding a clearing and pitching your tent? ie not a camp site.
Then getting balls hit against your tent when someone's teeing offon the 18th at silly o'clock in the morning?

The random dumping of the tent without paying for it appeals to me!

justal - 22-1-2004 at 19:29

quote:
Originally posted by MartinF
Hey Al,

Weather willing, I'll be there. I've sworn I'll make it up to Borth this year, so count me in.

Woohoo.... its about time Martin.

Lets just hope theres wind so that you get to see Borth at its best.

Al.

justal - 22-1-2004 at 19:34

Andy & Jules... Glad you'll be able to make it, although I had assumed you would as you are almost locals these days!!
Thodd.. the camping in the dunes is not officially allowed, but at that time of year there shouldn't be any problems. In the summer the golf course car park attendant will actually let you camp there anyway and if he see's you will relieve you of a fiver for the privelege. He won't be around until much later in the year though, so its should be OK...

Even in the summer you would get away with camping in the dunes themselves, but last time Spencer and Paul just pitched a tent in the car park.

You're unlikely to get hit by a golf ball there either, its quite a way from the fairway... Unless I was playing golf of course, coz then the balls could end up anywhere!!

Al.

justal - 23-1-2004 at 08:33

Thodd, Bodhi, Zelwaters... I don't know the route from Sale to Borth, we'll have to wait to hear from Dave for that, but how long does it take you to get to Porthmadog when you go to Hells Mouth?? Its only an hour to Borth from there, so although it looks like a long way round, it could be an option..

Although, I've just done a route-planner enquiry through the AA and they give Sale to Borth as 130 miles, 2hr 50 mins.

B5166 Start out at Sale,Gt Man
Follow signs Northenden B5166
B5166 Sale Moor (Junction with A6144)
Follow signs Northenden B5166 through one-way gyratory system
A5103 Junction with A5103
At traffic signals turn right to join A5103 (signposted Chester, Warrington)
M56 Junction with A560/M56
Forward to join Motorway M56
M56 Junction 9 (M6)
Travelodge (Lymm)
M56 Junction 14 (A5117)
CHESTER SERVICE AREA
M56 Junction 15 (M53)
Take right-hand lanes (signposted Queensferry)
A5117 Motorway Terminal Roundabout
At roundabout take 1st exit A5117 to leave Motorway
A5117 Junction with A540
At roundabout take 2nd exit
A550 Junction with A550
At traffic signals forward A550
A494 Junction with A494/A548
A494 Junction with A550/B5129 (edge of Queensferry)
Forward (signposted Mold)
A55 Junction with A55
Branch left (signposted Chester) to join A55
A550 Junction 35 (A550)
Branch left and at roundabout take 4th exit A550 (signposted Wrexham)
A550 Dobshill (Junction with A549)
A550 Junction with A5104/A5118 (not shown)
A5104 Junction with A5104(north)
At roundabout take 3rd exit A5104 (signposted Corwen)
A5104 Pontblyddyn ("The Bridge Inn")
Turn left then right
A5104 Pontybodkin (post office)
A5104 Coed-talon ("Railway Inn")
A5104 Rhydtalog ("The Liver Inn")
A5104 (edge of) Llandegla ("Crown Hotel")
Turn right then left
A5104 Junction with A542
A5104 Bryneglwys
A494 Junction with A494
Forward A494 (signposted Bala)
A5 Junction with A5 (east)
At traffic signals turn right A5 (signposted Betws-y-Coed)
A494 Junction with A494
At traffic signals turn left A494 (signposted Bala)
A494 Glan-yr-afon
A494 Bethel
A494 Sarnau
A494 Cefn-ddwysarn
A494 Llanfor
A494 BALA
Follow signs Dolgellau A494 Later alongside Bala Lake
A494 Llanuwchllyn
Bear right
A494 Rhydymain
A494 Bontnewydd (Junction with B4416)
A494 Junction for Dolgellau
Forward (signposted Betws-y-Coed, Llangurig)
A470 Junction with A470
At T-junction turn left A470 (signposted Machynlleth, Llangurig)
A487 "Cross Foxes Inn"
Turn right A487 (signposted Machynlleth) and ascend
A487 Summit (938 ft) (Craig-y-Llam)
Descend to
A487 Corris Uchaf
A487 (edge of) Corris ("Braich Goch Hotel")
A487 Centre for Alternative Technology (to left)
A487 Pantperthog
A487 Junction with A493
Bear left and cross River Dovey
A487 Machynlleth (Clock Tower)
A487 Celtica
A487 Derwenlas ("Black Lion Inn")
A487 Glandyfi
A487 Eglwys Fach
A487 R.S.P.B Nature Reserve (to right)
A487 Furnace
B4353 Tre'r-ddol ("The Wildfowler" public house)
Turn right B4353 (signposted Borth)
B4353 Llancynfelin
In 1.9 miles over level crossing 0.7 mile farther keep left
B4353 Arrive at BORTH

Section time 2:50, Total time 2:50

And they've missed the shortcut that I know about through Brithdir (between Bala and and Cross Foxes Inn along the B4416, missing out Dolgellau).. I'm sure there are others.

Al.

Thodd - 23-1-2004 at 08:49

Hi Al,

On Average it can take anything between 2-2.5 hours to get to Hells mouth, so if we're going to Borth.... taking into account the getting lost factor (yes...even with your extensive directions!!), the food stop, the toilet stop, the provisions stop, the petrol stop and the stopping for stoppings sake...I reckon I could do it in 3-3.5hrs !

justal - 23-1-2004 at 08:55

Thats not too bad.... It always takes about 3 hours to get anywhere of any significance from Borth, so that sounds about right.

Al.

Nick - 23-1-2004 at 09:55

For any wooses out there who don't fancy camping I can strongly recommend the Picnic B&B .... I've just booked a room for the Friday+Saturday night.

I stayed there back in October and can't really fault it. Friendly, spotlessly clean and great breakfasts. A hot bath after a days sailing is a must for me too! It's only a three minute walk/stagger along the front to the Friendship Inn, and a three minute drive up the road to the Golf course car park.

Cheers

Nick

zelwaters - 23-1-2004 at 13:36

i think where im going wrong is that i take the a55 towards conwy rather than towards chester, hits might be it, coz i end up following the coast for some time, especially with the speed restriciotns, i will check it out in comparison to my route, thanks alot al, this will truly help! zel

Dave - 23-1-2004 at 15:33

Go on the M56 to Chester,
then follow signs to

Queensferry
Corwen
Bala
Dolgellau
Machynlleth
Tre'r-doll
Ynyslas
Borth

Obviously you don't go into the towns and its a bit winding, but it should take 2 1/2 hrs.

http://www.theaa.com does a route planner, but you only want to know which roadsigns to follow.

There a lovely bit of road when you come past Cader Idris

p.s. my mum lives in Sale Moor

bodhi - 25-1-2004 at 13:16

Cheers Dave, will try that route out. I'm sure I've taken a similar route to Dolgellau before and that took me about 2 and a bit.... My car is rubbish though!

Which campsite will most people be staying at then in the interest of being community spirited?

justal - 5-2-2004 at 19:43

Its all gone a bit quiet in this thread....

Who else is going to be coming?? Come one, don't be scared!!!

I know some of you will probably wait to see what the forecast is on the weekend, but hopefully some people will be here whatever the weather.. Have managed to get the time of work yet BEFS??

Al.

Wes - 5-2-2004 at 19:47

Put me down for a place at the bar

Im pretty sure that I can make it to this one, although drizzle, no wind and no waves mean i'll stay in front of the telly.........

johno - 5-2-2004 at 19:51

has anyone got any idear how many hours it is from bristol to borth

justal - 5-2-2004 at 19:52

Yep.... 3 hours. I've done the journey literally hundreds of times!!

Al.

justal - 5-2-2004 at 19:57

But thats taking it easy in a fully laden Transit van and going the long way around to avoid the Severn Bridge Toll.

I have done Aberystwyth to Bristol in 2hrs 10 mins once when going for it in a car, so adding on another 10 minutes to get to Borth and you may be able to do it 2 1/2 hrs.

Mind you it did take me 6 hours once due to snow!!!

99.9% of the time it takes 3 though.

Al.

Wes - 5-2-2004 at 20:01

Three hours in a Transit....

I'll hold you to that and fine you 1 pint for every 15mins over!

justal - 5-2-2004 at 20:06

It does help, that I have done the journey 100's of times, so know the roads pretty well, but 3 hours is about right (although for some reason it alwasy takes my parents about 4 in their car, but I don't think they ever get the route right!!).

I take it that means you and Jen will be here for the Borth BST bash then Wes??

Al.

johno - 5-2-2004 at 20:18

i will try and get a freepass i will have to do plenty of sucking up to the misses the weekend before actually i better start now(dam)

Spencer - 5-2-2004 at 22:36

Last oct. took me 3hrs,it was dark wet & didnt know the roads,from Bath that is!
Spence...

justal - 6-2-2004 at 06:54

Exactly... its always 3 hours.

Are you coming up this time Spencer.. Looks as though there could be a decent West Country contingent. Anna now has a Bristle dictionary so she might be able to understand our West Country accents this time.

Al.

ajdesq - 6-2-2004 at 11:33

Grumble moan, winge & groan. I won't be there this time I'm working that weekend, but even if not I'll actually be mid-way through my month's snowboarding stint at Les Arcs. It's an 11hr overnight trip to commute back to work that weekend. Hey ho. I'll probably be coming up afterwards (end-ish April) as I've just entered 'The Dark Side' and bought a kite off Shem. He's even promised to show me how to use it. I'll keep y'all posted as to when I next come up in case anyone else is about. Cheers, Andrew

Rabbit - 9-2-2004 at 08:04

Al,
Can you get some big red signs that kind of read "Rabbit don't drive or park here"?
Then you will see me there!

Spencer - 9-2-2004 at 14:48

Yeah will come up again this time,paul said he would come up again as well.Ive gotta work Fri night but will probably leave straight after work,would be nice if the weather is like last time!
Spence...

justal - 9-2-2004 at 16:28

Rabbit... I'm sure we can sort something out.. maybe we'll just confiscate your keys once you get into Borth!

You're right Spencer, if we can order weather once again it'll be perfect. We can only wait and see on that one I'm afraid though. I take it you'll be camping again?? Maybe we'll all have to have a few beers around a camp fire if its dry.

Al.

Spencer - 9-2-2004 at 22:56

Al. Yeah will camping again,dont know where yet? the golf coarse car park was pretty good,but if a few people are camping/vans then a site maybe better if we all go to the same one? camp fire with beer sounds good,sat night shouldnt get dark till 8ish.

Spence...

Tim - 11-2-2004 at 17:33

busy....?

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Tim]

Tim - 11-2-2004 at 17:34

My self (Tim), Rob Porter and Mark Bird will be driving up for this weekend. If anyone knows any of us then hello to you! I've been to Borth 5 or 6 times, usually for family type holidays, but last time I windsurfed there was the Boardwise Demo day a couple of years ago. That involved a lot of fire jumping by John Hibberd after a bottle of vodka. Not sure I'll be leaping the fire myself. Not sure where we'll stay, probably camping, do I have to book, can't be that busy....?

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Tim]

zelwaters - 12-2-2004 at 00:39

where u from tim?

zelwaters - 12-2-2004 at 00:41

god its hard to imagine that its going to be getting lighter soon, hmmm camping sounds good, is there any sites near by?

justal - 12-2-2004 at 07:19

Nice one Tim... Not sure if I'll know you or not, but I was at the BW demo when John Hibbard was there.

As far as camping goes, there won't be a problem with places being too busy, but there may be a problem with places not being open yet as it will be a little early in the season. Best bet is to phone some and see whats open. I didn't add camp-sites to the list of accommodation earlier in this thread, but some of the caravan sites allow camping, so if any of you find any campsite contact details post them here for all to see.

And heres a campsite to start you off:

Ynys-Fergi Camping Tel: 01970 871344

I don't know what its like though as I've never had the need to use it. I'm not even sure which one it is, but there is abasic looking camp-site at the Ynyslas end of the beach, it could be that one.

Al.

Rabbit - 12-2-2004 at 08:10

Surley,
Supply on demmand!
If all the people camping/Caravaning (adjesq) approch a site then what do you recon on a group discount booking?

Wes - 12-2-2004 at 12:10

Campfire and beer - sounds good!

badexcuseforasailor - 12-2-2004 at 12:45

Cya there people

Tim - 13-2-2004 at 09:34

I live in Bedfordshrie, and I'm a regular at Brogboroughlake. I do love Borth though, and would go more often if there was a hyperspace terminal there that I could jump into with my windsurf kit. I thought you weren't coming BEFS?,... glad to see you've managed to plan it.

I know where the campsite is near the railway station..... couple of years ago it was totally full, but that was August bank holiday!

Tim

Jonny - 17-2-2004 at 13:41

I will be there seeing as I've got that weekend free and its on my doorstep. see you all there

justal - 18-2-2004 at 07:32

Good to hear it Jonny, you have NO excuses!!

Do I know you???

Al.

Jonny - 19-2-2004 at 10:34

Ive not bumped into you yet. Ive been to Ynslas a few times, I always end up goin at stupid times like my last trip there when it was about 3PM on a late Novembers Sunday afternoon. There was barely an hours daylight left so only had an hour or so to mess about in the estuary. The forecast looks really good for the estuary at the weekend so think Im gonna have to take a trip there. Just hope them valley winds pick up from Machynlleth. Only prob is High tides gonna be very early in the morning for me so will have to make a big effort and force myself out of bed. Probabaly see you at the weekend if them winds pick up

justal - 19-2-2004 at 17:39

Yep... I'll be there at first light if theres wind!

Al.

rob - 20-2-2004 at 10:52

hopefully i'll be there - thats the weekend uni finishes so fortunately i'll still have my accomodation for the saturday nite!

fingers crossed for the weather now though..... if its like it is now, its gonna be ace!!

rob

justal - 22-2-2004 at 15:39

Fingers Crossed.... If it's anythign like today then it will be perfect. No waves, but lots of wind and lots of sunshine which would be perfect for most people that are coming.

Al.

Stevievee - 24-2-2004 at 20:08

Will there be any demo kit or anything like that available at this event??

SV

justal - 24-2-2004 at 20:13

Kite Surf Wales will be there and (weather willing) will give non-kiters some taster sessions as far as I know.

I was also spekaing to Doug at Boardwise the other day and he said they may well trun up for the weekend with a van load of demo windsurf kit. Theres nothing definate arranged yet though, and part of the idea is that its an opportunity for us all to get together without anyone trying to sell us something.... Although I must admit it is quite nice having kit rigged and ready for you to demo!!

Al.

justal - 4-3-2004 at 16:52

Not too long to go now.... Has everyone sorted out where they are staying?? Is there a campsite of choice?

Its also time to start doing those wind dances... I'm sure a joint effort will have to please the gods and bring us some decent conditions.

Al.

shem - 6-3-2004 at 08:14

Ive done my wind dance, didnt want to be to gready so just asked for 15 knots sw and a 2-3 foot swell. ooooooooooo suits me sir!!

stevebus - 10-3-2004 at 18:53

I know i said i could not make it but a bit of rearanging has taken place and yipee i,m free,so see ya there on the sea front with wind jinx(i mean ian) and lots of beer as its ann's birthday on the saturday so i hope i can get all my gear on the bus around all the cases of beer.

justal - 10-3-2004 at 20:09

If theres a struggle fitting in all the toys and all the beer, you could always leave Ann at home to make some more room!!!

We'll celebrate her birthday in her absence!!!

(Now I'm gonna be in trouble)

Al.

Bananaman - 11-3-2004 at 22:45

Hey man wheres the campsites that are staggerin distance from this Borth bash as I need to book somewhere pref with facilities. Any ideas Al?

justal - 12-3-2004 at 06:55

Bananman.... A few of the caravan/campsites listed earlier are near the pub, but I'm not really sure which ones will be open at this time of year, and which ones allow camping (Someone else here might know though as they may have already booked).

Golden Sands is in town, not far from the pub, and Bryn Owen is close to the pub too. The other good option is the Youth Hostel which is cheap and near to the pub. As are all of the guest houses / B&B's listed. The campsites that are furthest from the pub are Ty Mawr, Sea Rivers and Cambrian Coast. Although if I end up staggering home from the pub then I'll be walking past them all, so none are too far away.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about the various accomodation options in Borth though as I have never used any of them. Has anyone else booked into a campsite yet??

Al.

markh - 17-3-2004 at 11:04

Bananaman - how are you getting up there?

Also - anyone else heading up from London? I'm trying to get Friday and/or Monday off from work. If I can, I'd love to join y'all. What's 230 miles when you're having fun?!!

P.S. Would M1-M6-M54-A5-etc be the best route?

Bananaman - 17-3-2004 at 11:23

Hay Mark. I'm not gonna be able to get any extra days off work so will be going probably Friday evening, which of course means I'll get there about 1am lol. No point going Saturday morning cause I'll lose too much daylight time.

markh - 17-3-2004 at 14:25

Cool. Thats' the sort of thing I usually do. Less tiring driving on clear roads and can just kip in the van somewhere when I arrive.

badexcuseforasailor - 17-3-2004 at 14:52

Im coming up from nr london ( j8 m1 ) leaving very early saturday morning. M1 M6 M54 is the way I go mark

AndyW - 17-3-2004 at 15:06

Yep M54 alright, then Shrewsbury bypass (A5), Welshpool, Newtown, Llanidloes, A44.

Your wise to travel when there's little traffic, especially after the M54.

See you there!

Nick - 17-3-2004 at 17:35

If the forecast is good I'm hoping to get to Borth around mid-morning on the Friday.... is anyone else planning an early arrival?

Cheers

Nick

justal - 17-3-2004 at 18:50

I'll be there early!!!

Was gonna ask today if anyone wold be here on the Friday, but you've all already answered my question!... I'll take the day off.

Al.

rob - 19-3-2004 at 13:33

i'll be there on the friday too i'd imagine!

the weathers looking pretty reasonable, or is it too early to suggest such a thing?!

http://www.metcheck.com/14dayforecast.asp?lat=52&lon=-4&locationID=8&Arr=175&Country=WL&Coastal=1

hopefully the wind will turn a little more west

hope its gonna be good, i'm looking forward to it now!!

rob

Dave - 19-3-2004 at 17:30

I'll be around on Friday - are you trying to get there early enough to sail/kite/surf or just drink?

Nick - 19-3-2004 at 20:50

The former for me Dave, then plenty of the latter once it gets dark!

The England v France six nations game is scheduled for the Saturday evening - are any pubs in Borth likely to have it on?

Cheers

Nick

justal - 19-3-2004 at 20:52

Hmmm...Possibly, if Wales aren't playing.

Al.

justal - 20-3-2004 at 08:16

Right, some of the West Country contingent were asking for detailed directions from Bristol to Borth, so here goes... I go via Gloucester to get from Bristol to Borth and via Abergavenny and across the bridge in the other direction. (I avoid the toll then).

From Bristol:
M5 to Gloucester. OFF at Junction 12 (B4008 / A38)
2nd exit @ roundabout A38 (Dual Carraigeway) into Gloucester
Straight on at roundabout (to Gloucester)

In Gloucester
Straight on at traffic lights.
Straight on at a couple more sets of traffic lights. (past Burger King)
Follow road through Gloucester, along river and then follow it left over the River.
Bear left off bridge (road works there at the mo, so you might have to go to roundabout and take first exit) Signposted to Ross and Monmouth.

Dual carriageway.
2nd exit (Ross A40) at roundabout.
Follow A40 (50mph most of the way)
Through Birdwood
Through Huntley
Over Glasshouse Hill
Through (the humorously named) Box Bush
Through Weston Under Penyard
At Mini-Roundabout 2nd Exit (Don't go into Ross)
At Roundabout 1st Exit (A40)
Short Dual Carriageway.
At Roundabout 3rd Exit (A49 Hereford)
Follow A 49 to Hereford

In Hereford
Straight on at Traffic Lights.
2nd exit at Roundabout.
Over river.
Straight on at Lights,
Left (A438) at 2nd set of lights.
Straight on at mini-roundabout (A438)

Follow A438
Through King's Acre
Through Letton
Past Junction to Hay-On-Wye
Follow Road (becomes A4111) Through Eardisley and onto Kington
Straight on at Roundabout (Rhayader)
Straight on at 2nd roundabout (onto A44 Rhayader)
Follow A 44 all the way to Rhayader (Through Pen-y-Bont and Crossgates, straight on at roundabout in crossgates)

In Rhayader go right at clock-tower (A470 Llangurig)

Follow A470 to Llangurig.
1st exit at Roundabout through Llangurig (onto A44 Aberystwyth)
Follow A 44 over the 'mountains'
Through Eisteffodd Gurig
Through Ponterwydd
Through Goginan
Through Capel Bangor
At Mini Roundabout 2nd exit (A4159 Borth)
Through Capel Dewi
At Junction Right (A 487 Machynlleth)
Through Bow St.
Left onto B4353 (Borth)
Through Llandre
through Glanwern
INTO BORTH!!! (Hurray)

As you come into Borth you'll sea the lifeboat station car park in front of you. Pull up in here, take a look at the sea and catch your breath. If its an absolute howling SW (fingers crossed)and low tide we may be sailing from here. Otherwise head north through Borth, along the road past the golf course, then in Ynyslas when the road bears around to the right don't follow it but go straight on. Right on that junction next to the bus stop is the turning into the 'Golf Course Car Park'. Thats the most likely place that we will be. If we aren't there, then continue north through Ynyslas to the estuary (which is where we'll be if there is some Easterly in the wind).

It should take 3 hours.

See you all next weekend.

Al.

justal - 22-3-2004 at 07:04

Not long to go now.... I guess its time to start speculating on what the weather will do. At the moment the forecast for Saturday varies according to which charts you look at from NE Force 3-4 to NW Force 4-5.

Either will do, as the NE's will funnel through the estuary and be stronger than that. Still, its anyone guess at the moment. I don't think it will be as windy as this weekend just gone though...Which is probably a good thing for many people.

Al.

Bananaman - 22-3-2004 at 10:47

Sounds ideal for me I must admit. Am looking forward to it. Is it all wave sailing or is there places where it is flatter as I am not used to waves, especially anything more than a foot high lol. Is anyone else going that a) has not attempted to get into any foot straps yet (but can use the harness sort of and b) does not know how to gybe lol. I'm gonna give it a shot anyway just wondered if anyone else was going who is at my level (don't want to embarass myself on my own hehe).

Wes - 22-3-2004 at 12:11

Don't worry about sailing level - I can manage a stunning carve splat! Just being out and having a laugh is what ti is all about!

Looking forward to this wekend but have a task for Al.

Is there somewhere that will show the England v's France match, or am I going to need to head back over the border for 8 on Sat?

mNeil - 22-3-2004 at 12:11

al is the youth hostel open in borth yet?

Wes - 22-3-2004 at 12:13

Hmm, that'll teach me to jump straight to the 4th page - Nick already asked the question

AndyW - 22-3-2004 at 12:23

Hey Bananaman,

I wouldn't worry about the level. If the waves are too daunting you'll find that a group head off to the estuary where it'll be flat and relatively shallow.

And I can confirm that a fair proportion of those attending can't gybe yet :-)

The size of the waves will very much depend on the wind strength and direction.

Should be fun, see you there!

Andy

Wes - 22-3-2004 at 12:30

Thinking about taking Friday off work and heading up for a long weekend on Thursday evening. Might wait until Wednesday, then do it if the wind looks good.........

Bananaman - 22-3-2004 at 12:50

Aaah cheers guys can't wait. I have been in waves before but couldn't really classify it as wave sailing lol. See you there.

justanna - 22-3-2004 at 13:04

I'm sure the Rugby will be on somewhere. If not in Borth then it will definatley be on somewhere in Aber.

See you all next weekend

rob - 22-3-2004 at 16:21

i'm sure somewhere like the academy will have the rugby on in aber!

Dave - 22-3-2004 at 17:42

The Victoria in Borth has a Tele, and a bunch of loud Englishman will I'm sure be welcomed

If they are buying beer anyway...

dunk - 22-3-2004 at 18:02

Anyone know the long range local forecast for the weekend then ????? fingers crossed !!!!!

Is it still possible to stay in your van at the beach ?

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by dunk]

Kirk - 22-3-2004 at 19:05

Hi
Hope to make it on Sunday for the bash, provided I can repair the sail I ripped at Langorse Lake the other week (collided with the landing stage). Can't steer, gybe or water start yet but it does not stop me having fun !!

justal - 22-3-2004 at 19:39

So many questions!!!!

Flat water... As AndyW said the estuary is perfect for those not so confident of their ability... Mind you if it Force 9 even that can get a little choppy!! Don't worry about your ability though, there should be people of all standards, from those who are relative beginners up to people such as Dunk who can Forward Loop. So don't feel intimidated even if you are a complete novice.. We've all been at that stage, we're all friendly and one of the best ways to pick up a few tips is to watch and talk to others that are just a little bit better than you are.

Rugby... Pretty much answered already, if Wales aren't playing then it will be on in The Victoria and Railway in Borth, if Wales are playing then if it isn't on at one of those pubs, it will be on somehwere in Aberystwyth.

Youth Hostel... I would ahve thought it was open...Ask Badexcuseforasailor, he usually stays there and has probably already booked a room.

Dunk... You should have no problems staying in your van on the beach. I think Spencer and Paul will be camping there too. (However, its not officially allowed so I didn't tell you it was OK!)

Long Range Forecast... Not great at the moment, although the wind does seem to be picking up on the Monday for those making a long weekend of it. See [url=http://www.windguru.cz/int/print.php?id_user=3851&uid=e846942b8b839ff48436ca3ad6c6d970&typ=page&pn=1&pu=3851]Here[ /url]

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 22-3-2004 at 23:02

Yep Hostel is open, good thing about this hostel in borth is it has keycoded doors so you can't get locked out if your a little late back from the pub , or very late

hairykitedude - 23-3-2004 at 10:54

I am gonna meet u with you all this weekend, this is my first fon bash so most of you wont know me, I am a kite boarder with and without wheels called tom.
What i am wondering is where is the sand decently hard and if any other people are bringing families? my partner and 2 year old are coming and would like to meet people who are up for activities not wind related.

Dave - 23-3-2004 at 13:53

England's game is on late; so no clash - the rbs6Nations don't do clashes

14:00 Wales v Italy
16:00 Ireland v Scotland
20:00 France v England

Nick - 23-3-2004 at 15:34

Blimey, the windguru forecast for Borth this weekend makes depressing reading ..... suggest we all start those wind dances now.

Hairykitedude - if the forecast stays crap I might well skip Friday and come on the Saturday with the family. Our boys are two and four and they'll make sandcastles with anybody! The Animalarium in Borth is not a bad family day out.

Cheers

Nick

justal - 23-3-2004 at 18:46

quote:
Originally posted by hairykitedude
What i am wondering is where is the sand decently hard and if any other people are bringing families?

The sand is hard enough for kite-mountainboarding (and therefore buggying) all along the seafront at Borth... 4 miles of it!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 23-3-2004 at 22:51

If its like the forcast is so far we will all be building sand castles, should be bring the garden spades and big buckets for extreme sand castle building?

justal - 24-3-2004 at 06:58

The forecast couldn't be much worse could it. There isn't even going to be any surf. There may be enough wind for some kiting though, and the forecasts have been wrong before!

Al.

justanna - 24-3-2004 at 12:27

For everyone making the long trip to Borth this weekend, don't worry....if' it's not windy there's still lots to do at our house......painting, gardening.....the list is endless!

See you all at the weekend

Seriously....hope the wind has a change of heart and you all find something 'worthwhile' to do.

Anna

justal - 24-3-2004 at 18:29

LOL... Now why didn't I think of that!!

The forecast looks worse each time I look at it...Lets hope it is wrong (it usually is at this time of the week). If not, we'll have to think of some alternative activities.

Al.

griptool - 24-3-2004 at 18:38

I was sorry to be missing this weekend but after seeing justanna's itinery I'm pleased to be missing out.

Hope you all have a good time windy or not

Spencer - 25-3-2004 at 09:32

Does anybody know where they keep the fans from the indoor events? Maybe we could borrow them for the weekend

Dave - 25-3-2004 at 12:05

Al - I haven't got a tide table with me - when is high tide in the estuary ? & how high ?

Mind you it doesn't look very windy, but who cares; I'll still be there.

rob - 25-3-2004 at 12:46

25 Mar 2004
Time Height
High 10:35
22:48

Low 04:55
17:12

26 Mar 2004
Time Height
High 11:08
23:20

Low 05:17
17:36

27 Mar 2004
Time Height
High 11:43
23:55

Low 05:45
18:10

28 Mar 2004
Time Height
High 12:28

Low 06:28
19:05

Dave - 25-3-2004 at 14:11

Thanks Rob

justal - 25-3-2004 at 16:44

Don't forget to add an hour on for the times on Sunday as it will be BST.

Al.

rob - 25-3-2004 at 17:39

blimey didnt realise the clocks went forward already. cool. no excuse for not getting some evenin sessions in now peeps!

justal - 25-3-2004 at 17:47

Rob... Why do you think we called this weekend the Borth BST Beach Bash!!

Al.

rob - 25-3-2004 at 17:50

oh yeh of course! doh! i should of known - id forgot it was this weekend. i cant wait for the light nights now - suddenly going to lectures during the day isnt such an inconvenience!

check out the weather guys it looks like it could be better for sunday

http://www.meto.gov.uk/lib/includes/fsssi/city/aberystwyth.html

justal - 25-3-2004 at 17:53

Yep...it will be light until 8pm and beyond... I might even start earning some money for some new toys as I know I'll be able to get out on the water in the evening, so won't have to take the afternoons off!.

Al.

Jonny - 25-3-2004 at 20:11

Not exactly sure if I will be definately staying this weekend with the wind situation. Just hope them forecasts are wrong!!

Nick - 25-3-2004 at 21:08

Look Windguru .... just give us a glimmer of hope you ba$t!rd!

I've decided to skip Friday due to crap forecast. Will still come on sat/sun if it really looks like it's going to pick up, but don't want to waste a rare travel permit on a windless weekend.

Apologies to all for killing the wind, or at least the forecast, for this weekend .... it's all my fault I'm afriad - just new I shouldn't have purchased that 4.5m sail earlier this week!

cheers

Nick

ps who's not been doing their wind dances!

davidf - 25-3-2004 at 22:05

think we'll be giving it a miss too, weather doesn't look good enough for a 4hr trip from london. and now the forecast here is pants too!
will definitely come up in the next few weeks though

rob - 26-3-2004 at 02:06

what the hell!?? disappointed you guys!!

youve let the team down now!!

Spencer - 26-3-2004 at 06:40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0020

justal - 26-3-2004 at 06:59

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
Not exactly sure if I will be definately staying this weekend with the wind situation. Just hope them forecasts are wrong!!

I thought you lived here anyway Jonny??

Al.

adam - 26-3-2004 at 10:20

And I didn't even say I was coming so can't be a wind jinx

Whats happening in this crazy country. 70mph winds last weekend and now nothing forecast for this!

Will be visiting for Easter hopefully for at least a week to get a chance of some decent conditions. Just bought some bigfoot wheels for my buggy so itching to get out on the sand and play!

Bananaman - 26-3-2004 at 10:31

Hey guys, If I'm camping tomorrow night is it best to camp at Upper Borth or at Ynyslas? Both of these have camping places, I wondered which location would be best for the beach party/bash. Cheers.

Also, anyone know any good spots for fishing if the weathers sh*tty, fishing + beer is always cool.

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by Bananaman]

justanna - 26-3-2004 at 11:25

Ynyslas is where the beach action will be. It's a couple of miles into town (Borth) for the pub - Upper Borth is closer but still a bit of a wlak to the pubs (which are right in the middle of Borth).

Which campsites are you plannign on staying at? At least the weather looks good for camping if not for windsurfing etc!

See you all later
Anna

Bananaman - 26-3-2004 at 11:47

Well theres a site on the B4353 called Glanlerry Caravan Park. It looks pretty near to Borth is it not? The website says it has facilities a well so would be ideal for me. web address is: http://www.ukcampsite.com/central-wales/glanlerry.htm

Jonny - 26-3-2004 at 12:41

quote:
Originally posted by justal
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny

I thought you lived here anyway Jonny??

Al.

Well I do whilst Im at Uni but Im goin back home to preston for the next 3 weeks. Im sorry Im not gonna be there but Im needed for a football match this Sunday for my local pub - I should be there for tomorrow though

Jonny

justal - 26-3-2004 at 13:26

quote:
Originally posted by Bananaman
Well theres a site on the B4353 called Glanlerry Caravan Park. It looks pretty near to Borth is it not? The website says it has facilities a well so would be ideal for me. web address is: http://www.ukcampsite.com/central-wales/glanlerry.htm

From what I've seen of it, Glanlerry is one of the nicer sites in Borth.

Not the closest to either the pubs or the Ynyslas end of the beach, but not too far either... You could easily walk back from the pub.

Al.

rob - 26-3-2004 at 13:56

is anybody around yet al? whats the wind like? if its windy i might come down for a bit this afternoon... don't want to waste the journey though if its dead!

Bananaman - 26-3-2004 at 13:56

Hehe found another one, Cambrian Coast Holiday Park which is near the golf course apparently. Think I might stay there. Basically I don't need to book so can jus tturn up so thats cool. Be arriving about 11 - 12 tomorrow. where will people be if theres no wind?

justal - 26-3-2004 at 14:29

quote:
Originally posted by rob
is anybody around yet al? whats the wind like? if its windy i might come down for a bit this afternoon... don't want to waste the journey though if its dead!

Shem an I were over there just now.... No one else there and about 4 knots NW as far as the wind goes.

I did inflate my new toy (18.1m Mach 1).... Its quite a beast!

Al.

justal - 26-3-2004 at 14:31

quote:
Originally posted by Bananaman
Hehe found another one, Cambrian Coast Holiday Park which is near the golf course apparently. Think I might stay there. Basically I don't need to book so can jus tturn up so thats cool. Be arriving about 11 - 12 tomorrow. where will people be if theres no wind?

Cambrian Coast looks Ok too.... pretty close to the Golf Course Car Park, but more of a walk to the pub... at least the walk will be along the beach though.

Not sure what we'll do if theres no wind (which looks quite likely at the moment)... BBQ on the beach I guess??

Al.

rob - 26-3-2004 at 15:01

BBQ

now that sounds like a very good idea. i'm gonna have a ride down for a bit - 4kts i can fly in that so its better than doing nout - might see you over there if you're gonna be around anywhere...

Dave - 26-3-2004 at 17:46

The Butcher is going to be busy.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3608

How come they don't mention the f-o-n weekend?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/sports/

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by Dave]

justal - 26-3-2004 at 18:01

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
The Butcher is going to be busy.....

Maybe I should ask for some commission!!!

Al.

justal - 27-3-2004 at 00:04

Oooh... Latest WindGuru forecast has 13 knots SW on Sunday for Borth.

Don't think I've ever got excited about 13 knots before, but it would be a hell of a lot better than the 4 knots we have been promised previously!!

Al.

justal - 28-3-2004 at 18:17

Saturday turned out Grey and windless, but a couple of people had a go at windsurfing and kite flying.

Most of us just sat around a big fire chatting, drinking beers and then had a BBQ before heading off to the pub.

Sunday was a bit better, nice and suuny with a little bit of wind, but still not enough for most.

Most people had a good time I think though and thought it worthwhile soming despite the poor forecast and eventual lack of wind. Quite a few people were also keen to try again as soon as a windy weekend is forecast.... SO, keep your eyes on the forecasts and if its looking like a windy weekend we'll all meet up again!!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 28-3-2004 at 18:31

That will be next weekend as Im going out for dinner with family, last 4 times been out for dinner its been windy without fail!

shem - 28-3-2004 at 19:29

Im well up for next weekend, sorry I couldnt turn up sunday,(girl friend birthday duties)!!

Dave - 28-3-2004 at 20:29

It was nice to meet you all. Hope to see you soon.

looking forward to a nice windy weekend, but it was nice to be able to chat to so many of you.

Shame about the Rugby though

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Dave]

rob - 29-3-2004 at 09:25

yep i cant wait for the next one either - but it doesnt take much of an excuse to get me out playing!

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by rob]

justal - 30-3-2004 at 06:56

quote:
Originally posted by badexcuseforasailor
That will be next weekend as Im going out for dinner with family, last 4 times been out for dinner its been windy without fail!

Wonder if BEFS family would let us bribe them into taking him to dinner every weekend!

Al.

Wes - 30-3-2004 at 11:25

Sorry that I did not make it, I just could not justify spending that many beer tokens without a chance of sailing. I am planning on coming up if the wind ever decides to show up again (unlikly now I have a 5.0 sail!)

Hope y'all had fun anyways.

Wes

Nick - 30-3-2004 at 11:46

ditto! Our youngest went down with chicken pox on the Friday so that's another excuse. Hope to use saved travel permit soon!

cheers

Nick

badexcuseforasailor - 30-3-2004 at 14:55

We never had a chance of any wind nick and wes buying small sails

befs