Board logo

trip to Eygpt
col123 - 4-1-2005 at 16:46

ok guys and gals i'm planning to go to hugrahda on 4 feb till 11 (1 week) going from gatwick/manchester, stopping at beachside hotel (might be magawish) the cost is approx£350.00 per person HALF BOARD three to a room.if more people book the cheaper it gets...me, neil and mark (dunk) are going so if you want to come and and play give me a shout by friday this week..

ONLY PUT YOUR NAME DOWN IF YOUR SERIOUS THE MORE THE MERRIER AND CHEAPER IT GETS...

ALSO MONEY WILL BE PAYABLE IN FULL WHEN I HAVE CONFIRMED NUMBERS..WAVERIDERS WILL ORGANISE AND COLLECT THIS.....

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by col123]

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by col123]

shem - 4-1-2005 at 17:27

I know I want to, but cant afford it, Bugger!!

justal - 4-1-2005 at 18:58

Ditto... and I don't think Anna will let me seing as she'll be pretty much due by then!

Al.

steveo - 5-1-2005 at 10:30

Would love to go, but need a new winter wetsuit, Problems with me zip!!!!! and got a free snowboarding trip planned around that time has well.
May be next time

mNeil - 5-1-2005 at 12:37

ok guys less of the i'd love too but!
come on only you can make it happen!!!!

Spooker - 5-1-2005 at 19:33

I'm in... me, me, ME!

Col - contact me via mail - spooker@blueyonder.co.uk or 078432 58303

These british winters are playing havoc with me chillblains, and as for the piles..... (

col123 - 6-1-2005 at 19:23

ok so far we have

myself
mNeil
dunk
spooker
pluto..
alex
chris
nick and poss tracey

the more the merrier but i need confirmed names by tomorrow three o'clock so pull your fingers out i'll make some more inquiries tomorrow, but in the meantime check out...www.colonawatersports.com

and start weeping, live web cam updated weather etc etc..

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by col123]

Bananaman - 6-1-2005 at 20:15

Can't do it as am snowboarding in Saalbach that week

col123 - 7-1-2005 at 12:59

to all the guys that are going contact me by mobile on saturday morning and i'll have final details, you will have to pay waveriders this monday morning details i'll post and speak to you later about....

chris - 7-1-2005 at 18:38

col,
i know its late in the day but it might just be possible i can go. will know on monday???? any chance???

col123 - 7-1-2005 at 19:13

possible chris i'm waiting on an e;mail conformation from waveriders which i havent receieved as yet...i'll contact them or another company on monday to sort it all out..

i was speaking with them today and accommodation isnt an issue its trying to get the best deal on flights

THE FOLLOWING BIT IS OFF THE FLEXI FORUMS BUT WORTH NOTING ITS ABOUT THE SPOT AND COLONA WATERSPORTS

Do Not convert your money in the Uk wait till you are out there...it was 12LE to the £ in egypt and 10Le to the £ here in the UK! Drink Sakala or Stella which is local beer ...I did and hardly needed to sleep ...Party,party party! Swear there is something in it! Take some mini headphones and walk around at night with them in..you dont get hassled ...I wore them in the Taxis too! The Bus are cheap ask them before you get in if its a bus ..if they say its aspecial it means non stop and will charge you around 15LE ...get out within 30 seconds a nother bus will appear...pay when you get out and pay them 1le to a max of 2le and walk off... if you talk to them they are a pain. DO NOT CHANGE money they will rip you off ...always carry 1le notes ..change larger notes at the Hotels. ITs only the taxi drivers that are pain in the butt. Any serious problems pretend to take the number on the back of the bus?taxi aand threaten them with the TOURIST police.
Colona rent kites at £15 for 3 hours no matter the size so pray for light wind on one day just so you can play with a 30m. Spoke to begnan and he should be starting to take photos and videos plus now louis is back they are trailing safaris to other beaches! If you are unfortunate to have very little wind check out the water park.

mNeil - 8-1-2005 at 11:17

hi all use going to egypt chaeck out the BEST golf bag for $150 US takes 2 boards and up to 3 kites plus gear,looks the business.
www.bestkiteboarding.com

you can order one from airhead at £95

[Edited on 8/1/05 by mNeil]

col123 - 8-1-2005 at 11:56

stopping at the turtles inn in el gouna its about 5-10 mins from kitebeach if you look on waveriders site you can read the blurb there.....cost for halfboard is £337.00 plus you have to pay £15.00 visa card thingy at passport control, its dead cheap out there.......so what do you think..contact me by mobile...if its a go i will give you thomas cooks number and you'll pay useing my name as the lead for the trip......

El Gouna Accomodation

Hotel: Captains and Turtles Inn
General Info: The Captains Inn is set in the heart of Abu Tig marina and suited for those Kiters travelling on a budget and as a couple (double beds only!). The Turtles Inn is the sister hotel right next door with Twin bedded rooms. The Hotels themeselves are well presented and with its IKEA stylized rooms and friendly staff is a plasant place stay. Good B&B, ideal for those on a budget.
Courses: Kitestarter
Waterstarter
Rating: 3 Stars
Distance to spot: 5 -10 Mins
Suitable for families: No
Swimming pool: No

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by col123]

col123 - 8-1-2005 at 19:35

hopefully last(ish) posting there are now six going

Me
mNeil
Dunk (mark)
Pluto (paul)
Spooker (andy)
Nick (the hill)

have your phones and credit cards with you as i will ring you on monday noon (ish) with the contact number to pay etc, ive said your all insured so its up to you to arrange either with the tour operator or the post office if you haven't already got insurance that is..

above cost of 337 was for eight of us so price might be up slightly but i'm takeing the fire truck and six firefighters on monday for the blag of a discount (its worth a try..if i dont get a discount it means there all lesbo's)...speak to you all either tomorrow on the beach or monday...happy holidays..col

just to wet your appetite taken from waveriders site.....
The Kite surfing is quite spectacular as the zones are spread over shallow transparent, peachy flat areas.

Carving, toe side transitions are just silky and big airs with multi turquoise views are just mental.

The conditions are great and with our new and extended 2005 Kite surfing sessions for sure you will have an epic week or two’s kite surfing whilst indulging in affordable luxury

col123 - 10-1-2005 at 21:17

ok all ye blokes who are coming its all paid for, ive just got to sign on wednesday and thats it....Eygpt here we come....to paul and andy it might be worth you to meeting up being as you both come from the shrewsbury end you can travel together.

me,neil,mark (thanks mark) and nick are going to gatwick in marks van on the friday morning, as the route goes past my front door paul and andy could meet up there and we have a convoy (big ten four rubber duck) then jump om M5 to M40 to gatwick...neils booked the van in at the carpark and i believe he'll post the details etc...

the earlier we get there the more likely to blag free excess luggage as a freebie.

i'll post more details when i have them

Spooker - 11-1-2005 at 07:15

Nice one Col!
I notice that Waveriders are advertising the same week at the same hotel for £399 - b&b only maybe thats why they didn't get back in touch?

Paul - gimme a call on 078432 58303 and we can sort some transport

mNeil - 11-1-2005 at 09:51

i am booking the van in at APH gatwick cost of £40.80 for the week. just put in a search for car parking at gatwick.

mNeil - 11-1-2005 at 16:43

those who travel; i have just received my BEST golf bag; superb build and the business.will even take my snowboard etc as well the kitesurfing gear.great price too; got it from airhead, hardly worth importing it from the states.

col123 - 12-1-2005 at 16:05

well ive got the tickets, were flying with air atlanta and check in opens at 08:15...it takes about 2 1/2 hrs to get therte allow 1/2 hour for parking etc so you'll all have to be at mine by 5.30 ish.

baggage allowance is 20kgs..unless your mark who's paid to take the kitchen sink

ive got some receipts for people, i'll hang onto the tickets etc

Pluto - 12-1-2005 at 20:43

Where abouts do you live Col?

I do Horsham at least once a month and it usually takes 4 hours from Shrewsbury!!

I suppose if you've got a red lorry with blue lights the traffic does tend to move out of your way!

col123 - 13-1-2005 at 09:29

i live in halesowen west mids just off junc3 i got the 2 1/2 hrs of rac route finder, mind you blue light run is quicker but if you pay the deisel...truck does 1 mile to the litre...it can be arranged

Spooker - 14-1-2005 at 19:04

Spooker - 14-1-2005 at 19:17

Oooops - sorry about the blank post - it went off in my hand honest!

Pluto - carpark booked for Gatwick

Don't worry that it'll take Col & co 2 1/2 hours - we can drive slow.

I can almost feel that Egyptian sun on my back....

Kitefish - 16-1-2005 at 12:10

Just got back from Hurghada on Friday, spent a week on Magawish beach excellent venue. Thanks to all those that provided some advice so here is a few pointers from me.
Look at the this site http://www.colonawatersports.com/ and view the web cam it's excellent (my wife found it good she could keep an eye on me).
Take booties I found that I cut my feet to bits on little bits of coral without them,although as I'm learning I did spend more time standing in the bay rather than on the board. Wind conditions were very light and when it did blow it was gusty take as many kites as you can.
I was given a brilliant piece advice although as I booked last min I was unable to follow it up- The airlines charge now for everthing including golf bags, but you can pre book surfboards for £5 each way upto a weight of 32kilos, if you do this DO NOT MENTION KITES (will cost you £40) and you still have your normal 20kg luggage allowance. You must pre book this through the airline, I was asked for my voucher at checkin but managed to get my board bag through free as it was my only luggage as was under 20kg. Once there I found that it was worth paying a little extra for a private bus to Magawish to take my bag in the bus on my own, this cost me 20LE (£2) but they will take you down to reception, on most occasions they will only drop you at the main gates cost anything from 10p to £1. For anyone that can go last minute and only get a flight (I was offered flight only for £147 from gatwick) you can walk into Magwish resort and ask for accommodation at reception at a cost of 1400 LE (£140) B&B for the week, I met a Swedish guy who did this.
From all the people I met that week that were out kiting I heard very mixed reports about other venues especially El Gouna, Magawish does seem to be the best so thanks Col for the advice, I cannot praise the staff and the venue enough I learnt alot that week and the facilities are awesome. This is a centre that is well run, if you get into trouble on the water the rescue boats are there in no time and they encourage you to use it, even if you lose your board they will fetch it no worries (no need for leashes, if you want to use a leash the centre will insist that you wear a helmet) but this does come at a cost 39euros but well worth every euro. If I can answer any questions I will try just PM me have a great time all, I wish I was going with you.

col123 - 17-1-2005 at 09:23

where abouts did you stay?

were all stopping in El gouna as the wind stats are a bit better and cleaner wind,

what did you here about el gouna ?

..magawish is about 50mins by taxi form el gouna so if the forecast is good we will probably make the trip

Pluto - 17-1-2005 at 23:05

Col,

Reading the above, is it worth booking boards etc?

mNeil - 18-1-2005 at 10:06

col thinking the same lines as paul; making enquiries re pre booking golf bag on plane?

col123 - 18-1-2005 at 18:27

yea i'll make some phone calls and find out the cost later in the week

to all whos going text 'YES' to me and i'll book surfboards hopefully a fiver

[Edited on 18-1-2005 by col123]

mike.g - 19-1-2005 at 06:27

I'm flying out on 21st to Magawish and never been before and woundered if anyone could help.

Has the Magawish Hotel recently improved or do people still get the shits.

I don't know wether to take my 3mm short arm summer suit or a 2mm shorty with a 0.5mm c-skin top.

I've pre-booked my board with Brittiania but it cost me £14 and can't be over 5kg. How do you get it for £5?

Kitefish - 19-1-2005 at 20:35

I have been away for few days so sorry that my replies may be a bit late.

I stayed only 5km from magawish at Sultan Beach, I noticed that it was only £189 B&B from Gatwick last Friday, through Regal Dive.
I was told that El Gouna was not favoured as you had to trek to get to it and the bay is not as good at low tide. Although we must remember every centre you go to makes out it's the best and they want you to stay with them (it's business). On some of the light wind days at Magawish, we noticed kites being able to fly down the coast at Makadi, I think this is Friedls place.

The advice and price for taking boards was given to me by Mark at Colonawatersports (see link in previous post) and I wasn't able to take advantage of this as I went on a very latedeal, this advice may not have been for Brittania who I flew with. Saying that they took my board bag etc anyway.

Water temp at the moment is 21 C, I survived in a 3mm Shortie, but that North wind late afternoon could quickly chill you down. I ate at the Magawish cafe bar everyday (scrumptous pizza) and no shits, be sensible drink plenty bottled water, no ice in drinks and no salad (although I ate loads at my hotel).

Wish I was coming.

[Edited on 19-1-2005 by Kitefish]

col123 - 25-1-2005 at 13:27

ive booked the excess baggae today as long as its under 2m then we should be ok just dont go mad on the weight...personally i'm taking 13 and 17m strikes with two boards 125 and 145 and if i can get it in the 11m strike, shortie suit etc...role on next friday

mNeil - 25-1-2005 at 16:29

thanks col; thinking about it then as we have booked excess bagage we should be entitled to take a case as well? and put another kite inside that!!!!

col123 - 25-1-2005 at 17:02

to right we should be able to take a decent selection ...spoke to dunk though and dont forget weve got to get it all in his van plus two bodies in the back, si i'm thinking just pack as tight as you can

badexcuseforasailor - 25-1-2005 at 22:40

Remmber to make sure bags don't weigh
anymore than 32kg or baggage handlers won't touch them they might pull a muscle

Pluto - 26-1-2005 at 21:43

Cheers Col. I'm planning on taking one bag with it all in. Looking at last weeks wind stats don't forget the big kites. It only got up to 15 knots on one day in the last seven.

Fingers crossed!!

mNeil - 28-1-2005 at 12:53

had a trial run with my BEST golf bag last night and got the board and 3 kites in no problem and thats without taking off the fins and footpads etc; just have to decide on the sizes to take thinking; 15 11 and 9.
wont be long now!!!!!!!!

col123 - 31-1-2005 at 15:21

been looking at wind guru and colona watersports camera today and wind guru siad 12knts ..its been blowing 20knts today and quite a few surfers out on the reef...so fingers crossed for next week..saturdays looking good already but if today is anything to go by...wind gurus forecast you could add 8knts on top of it...just off to do my bikini line now..

oh yea dont forget the £20.00 you have to pay on landing and me and neil need a tenner each for the carpark and excess baggage, and fuel money for dunk

[Edited on 31-1-2005 by col123]

Pluto - 31-1-2005 at 20:23

Is that 20 Stg or local currency we need on landing?

Just planning ahead - don't want to getr caught short!

col123 - 1-2-2005 at 10:47

they will take any currency if memory serves me right but they love US dollars

mNeil - 1-2-2005 at 17:02

incontinence trousers are a must for those thinking of getting cought short!
did you check out the wind today ,peeked at 30knots for 10mins; still doing 11 knotts now! temp 19 C; its evening.
kites are fighting to get back out of the bag!

Spooker - 1-2-2005 at 21:58

Did a trial pack tonight, and as the wind does seem to be up and down over there I spent a while considering what kites to take. Couldn't decide, so bugger - put the lot in. Pretty much every bit of kitesurf gear I own went into my large blue something-or-other-PRO bag, and there's still enough room for a set of golf clubs if I felt so inclined. So with 18, 14, 12 & 9 I'm ok for 9-35 knots, beyond that I've got a couple of good books and I'll pick up a litre of gin on the way over - sorted!
Egyptian pounds and US dollars seemed to be the main currency when I went last, tho its good to have as much low-denomination of the local currency as possible, the locals get easily 'confused' with the exchange rates!

Spooker - 1-2-2005 at 22:01

BTW - I've been a Kook and a Grommet - what comes next?

justal - 1-2-2005 at 22:18

quote:
Originally posted by Spooker
BTW - I've been a Kook and a Grommet - what comes next?

Take a look HERE

Have a good trip everyone.

Al.

shem - 1-2-2005 at 22:58

O.K. with it being so close Im gealous, have to make sure I get out over here every day, to try and make up for it. Note to self, " must get proper job at some point so I can go on holiday!!". I think by spending 2 years traveling around the world, Ive cursed my self for any other holiday to warm places, bbbaaaaarrrrgggggghhhh.

mNeil - 2-2-2005 at 13:13

ive finished the lst pack and put in the 15 11 and 9 along with a set of 5mtr lines to double up the kites if the wind gets tooooooooooooooo light.
see y'all at the airport

col123 - 2-2-2005 at 14:51

two kites for me 13mstrike2 and an 18.5 storm 3 but with two boards, its the low wind side of things i'm considering if its nuking ive always got the 18.5!!!!!!!!!

dont forget your headphones for the plane and also to drown out dunks snoring.....with all the kit going i'm sure someone will lend me something if its nuclear (i wish)

col123 - 2-2-2005 at 20:31

go on bbc world weather and its showing 21 degrees with 11/13mph and the beeb usually way under-estimates

mike.g - 2-2-2005 at 20:37

I went out to Magawish last week and there was no wind all week.

But it's been blowing northerly 15-25knots since monday and looks to continue.

All the guys kitesurinf on the webcam are the ones that arrived when I left.

It made me cry.

leonardo - 2-2-2005 at 21:49

have a good one dudes! if i get me new toys, then I will be down on da beach with Al and the Shemster!