Board logo

Easter tides , FON trip
badexcuseforasailor - 31-1-2005 at 14:48

Sure the borth regs can answer what are the times of the tides for borth for Easter?

cheers

befs

[Edited on 4-2-2005 by badexcuseforasailor]

justal - 31-1-2005 at 14:50

Ummm...tell me when Easter is and I'll tell you.

Al.

justanna - 31-1-2005 at 15:30

Good Friday - March 25th
Easter Sunday - March 27th
Bank Holiday Monday - March 28th

(Pancake Day - 15th Feb I think!)

justal - 31-1-2005 at 15:47

Friday... HT is at 7.50 am (4.7m)
Saturday HT is at 8.20 am (5.0m)
Clocks go forward that night.
Sunday HT is at 9.50am (BST) (5.1m)
Monday HT is at 10.25am (BST) ( 5.2m)

Hope that helps.... are you coming here Befs??.... It could be a good weekend to have the first FON gathering of the year.

Al.

Wes - 31-1-2005 at 15:57

Sounds like a great plan. Can we start a 50 page are we coming or not thread right now?
Whats the weather forecast like then Al?
Any swell forecasted?

I really enjoyed my sailing last time I was up there so i can't wait to come back. Would be good to have 3 full days over there as well, although so far my record is 3 out of 3 days sailed.

Oh, and hello Anna, not seen the lizzard jump up for a while!

justal - 31-1-2005 at 16:10

Wes... Will this do...?

Friday 20 knots NW, Sunny.
Saturday 20-25 knots SW Sunny.
Sunday 25-30 knots SW Sunny.
Monday Easterly 40 knots(for some speed sailing in the estuary!) Sunny.

We can only hope!
If not, theres always the pub!

Al.

Wes - 31-1-2005 at 16:19

OK, talked me into it!

See you there

Oh, can you arrange for the bikini clad reef girls to show up please?

justanna - 31-1-2005 at 16:38

Hi Wes,

still quietly lurking most of the time....only way I know what Al's up to . Have to admit I'm more interested in the pancakes! in a couple of weeks though.

rob - 31-1-2005 at 16:50

so have we set a date for the bash then? surely if you order your weather forecast now it'll be in stock by march?!? don't know whats going on here at the moment but there wasnt the 13kt NW'ly in borth that was forecast.

AndyW - 1-2-2005 at 14:34

Sounds like a good idea, maybe we should attempt several FON meetings this year to increase the chance of scoring some wind on one of them ;-)

AndyW - 1-2-2005 at 14:37

Hey Al,

I need my Award image updated to read 'Walk Of Shame Award 2003-04'
;-)

justal - 1-2-2005 at 16:52

OK...give me a chance... there was some wind today, I've been busy!!

Sounds as though Easter w/e is a date then. Start praying for wind (and lots of it).

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 2-2-2005 at 16:04

Ok as you can guess Im borthing it for easter, well some of it On the friday night I am on a parnormal investigation up near Harlech and will come down to Borth on saturday.
Next question wheres a nice place to sail near Harlech on Friday afternoon

Befs

justal - 2-2-2005 at 17:17

Ummmm...how about.... wait for it....

Harlech!!!!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 2-2-2005 at 17:37

I guess there is somewhere to sail in Harlech as its on the coast but dont' fancy removing my fin on some unseen rocks

justal - 2-2-2005 at 18:13

Harlech has a big sandy beach just like Borth!!!

Al.

AndyW - 3-2-2005 at 10:52

Harlech, isn't that where Shell island is?

justal - 3-2-2005 at 16:57

Almost, Shell Island is a just south of Harlech. And they both have big sandy beaches.

Al.

Nick - 4-2-2005 at 14:36

Shell Island ..... that's near Harlech isn't it?

Befs - Harlech, paranormal - is that all we get?!

Cheers

Nick

ps count me in for Easter.... it will probably be my first sail since the Boardwise demo!

pps whatever happened to adjesq (former top poster?) .... don't see him round here much these days?

badexcuseforasailor - 4-2-2005 at 14:49

The Friday night Im staying at Maes Artro the old airfield to see if anything goes bump in the night

justal - 4-2-2005 at 18:15

quote:
Originally posted by Nick
whatever happened to adjesq (former top poster?) .... don't see him round here much these days?

Weird, I was thinking just the same thing whilst on the water just now.... Spooky.

He went off on a round the world trip with his caravan or something. I haven't heard from him for a while either.

Look forward to seeing you at Easter. Sounds like there could be a decent crowd of us.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 16-2-2005 at 17:24

Anyone else in Borth for easter?

Bananaman - 28-2-2005 at 19:26

Me and my bird might turn up for Easter Weekend to do some camping, some windsurfing on the river and maybe even get a kite out (it's been a while), need to start reading up on how to efficiently untangle lines.

badexcuseforasailor - 28-2-2005 at 20:26

Ive got a pair of scissors you can borrow

Jonny - 2-3-2005 at 07:54

Al, I'l be able to make the borth FON easter bash if you set up a live video link to me here in NZ.

badexcuseforasailor - 8-3-2005 at 10:10

Im thinking about sailing at Shell Island on the Friday as it looks like the closest place to where im staying on Friday night. A question for anyone who has sailed there before
Is there anything I have to watch out for ?

befs

justal - 8-3-2005 at 15:44

Nope.... There aren't any real hazards at Shell Island... unless of course there is a 40 knot offshore wind, 6 foot swell and you can't swim!

Take it easy

Al.

justal - 15-3-2005 at 20:35

Not long to go now.... wonder what the wind will be like.... start the prayers now!

Al.

Wes - 16-3-2005 at 11:05

Indeed. I'm still planning on it - I'm buying a new sleeping bag on Friday incase it turns cold again!
As always its a 'wait and see' with the winds though!

I like the pictures on the Boardwise demo. thats the only time I've been to borth and it certainly delivered.

Could do with some SW winds though this time - how warm was it this morning? Lovely stuff!

justal - 16-3-2005 at 20:24

Nice one Wes.... Any others coming up from your way?? I'm trying to persuade Spencer to do the right thing.

Who else is coming??

Al.

Spencer - 16-3-2005 at 20:49

If theres wind i will trek up! ive got 12 days off so there better be some wind about, after the last couple of months of iffy/no wind (when i was off anyway?) i think we are overdue some decent winds....

Nick - 17-3-2005 at 10:33

Change of plans for me I'm afraid - now going to S.Devon over the Easter weekend - hopefully get a sail or two down there. We're back on Sunday so may still come over to Borth on Easter Monday with little ones..... now if only there was a Ynyslas beach creche!

ajdesq - 17-3-2005 at 18:57

Hey! Nice to know I was missed

2004 was a bit pants... family illness and way too much work, but glad to say Dad's back to 100% and AOK.

Been doing LOADS of writing for mags with a PLAN to get more time off to play, but the reverse has happened and I get about 1 day to meself a month. Not good. Won't be making it to Borth this Easter. But come September I should be part time on the trains doing 2 weeks on, 3 weeks off. Looks like I may be looking for a cheap pitch for the 'van up there soon

Just written a feature on windsurfing for the Caravan Club magazine, read by over 1 million people. I plugged Al's site, let's hope it's not been edited out. Will let you know.

Have a great Easter dudes!

Dave - 20-3-2005 at 17:00

Sorry, but we won't be there at Easter - but we are going to Dahab , so don't feel too sorry for us - Hope you all have a good'un and we'll see you in the summer.

badexcuseforasailor - 21-3-2005 at 10:46

I hope everyone is doing their winddances/ Prayers for the weekend

Befs

Wes - 21-3-2005 at 12:24

Damn and blast.......

Just heard some bad news. The guy who I had persuaded to go and pick my glider up from the re-finishers has injured himself and will be on crutches until July. This means I have to pick up the glider myself. Not normally an issue, but its in Poland - near Auschwitz! Guess I'm driving for all of the easter break.....

rob - 21-3-2005 at 13:05

refinishers?!? what have you done to it!!

Wes - 21-3-2005 at 13:38

Its not as bad as it sounds! My record of destroying kit doen't stretch to the ASH!

Just needed some TLC, some gel coat cracking due to the flexibility of the wings, some osmosis (sp) on the fuslage and some small chips, dents and scratches needed sorting. Its all wear and tear. As its still at the top of the tree as far as gliders go, its had the gel coat stripped off and re-applied but with a better paint finish so it in effect has the same performance as when it came from the manufactures. I've had all the surfaces done, then original markings re-applied so it should look and fly amazingly. having it done in Poland cuts the cost by about 45%. Just need to re-trim the cockpit and it will look brand new. Whats the betting I land it wheels up first time back!

Its getting wing extensions for its birthday next year.....

rob - 21-3-2005 at 15:10

ah that's ok then - it sure would be a crime to land wheels up in it regardless of the condition of the gel coat!!!

how many hours are on the airframe?

justal - 21-3-2005 at 19:53

Wind is looking a bit iffy at the moment, but it is still early days.

We'll have to come up with some novel light-wind alternative activities just in case... I think the gorge-walks will be a bit too cold at this time of year which is a shame as I have't done it for a while.

There should be enough wind around for some land-based kiting though so it could end up being a good weekend to encourage the windsurfers to have a go with some of the demo kites we have.

Al.

Spencer - 22-3-2005 at 08:17

Yesterday when i looked Swesterlys were forcast for the weekend,this morning its all changed to Easterlys!
Any Advance on that?

AndyW - 22-3-2005 at 09:13

If it goes Easterly or NE then some estuary sessions will be on ;-)

Just have to wait and see nearer the time...

justal - 22-3-2005 at 14:21

The latest is for some pretty strong E-NE winds... Windguru has 23-27 knots ENE for Sunday... which could mean it will be going ballistic in there!!

Fingers crossed.

Al.

justal - 22-3-2005 at 19:06

All change again...down to ENE Force 4 for Sat and Sun now, with more and stronger ENE's on Mon and Tues...

Whats the point, forget the forecasts, just turn up and see what happens!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 22-3-2005 at 22:47

I think sailing at shell Island is out of the window as its all gone easterly. Whats gonna happen with the wind on Friday......lol
Will there be enough for an early morning session in the estuary ?
Im thinking about driving up to Borth after work on Thursday so to catch the tide............and wind hopefuly on friday morning.

justal - 23-3-2005 at 06:50

Doesn't look like it will be any good at the moment on Firday BEFS... I might even go to work in the morning (after some hot cross buns of course!).

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 24-3-2005 at 11:57

See you all in Borth

leonardo - 24-3-2005 at 13:48

dudes,

see u in the estaury on sat, nice and early!

AndyW - 24-3-2005 at 13:52

So what were the tide times again ;-)

justal - 24-3-2005 at 16:43

Yep...looks like we need to be up early to catch the high tides.

Although it isn't looking anywhere near as windy as it was...Only Force 203 on Saturday at the moment and just about Force 4 on Sunday... We may have to wait for Monday....

Come on, keep those wind dances going!

Al.

mNeil - 24-3-2005 at 23:07

full moon Al ;could there be a problem with lack of water?

justal - 25-3-2005 at 06:31

Yep the tides are pretty big but at least it measn there will be plenty of water at high tide!!

Al.

justal - 25-3-2005 at 08:53

Not much wind here this morning... and as usual the goalposts keep moving... 3-4 days time always looks really good. Tuesday now has 25 knots Easterly all day... trouble is the wind always seems to stay 3-4 days away....

Could still be OK tomorrow and Sunday though but not as good as originally forecast.

Al.

justal - 25-3-2005 at 16:38

Oh deary me, where has all the wind gone... Hardly anything forecast for tomorrow now and not a lot for Sunday either.... Grrrrr.

Al.

justal - 25-3-2005 at 21:14

Its a really clear night out there tonight, so it may just get cold enough for the famous Ynyslas katabatic wind to kick in... I shall head to the estuary at around 6am tomorrow to see. Not sure who's around yet, but if anyone is up for an early session I'll be there, as will Shem.

Al.

justal - 26-3-2005 at 06:24

There's no wind this morning, and nothing forecast for a while now either.... Grrrr.

Al.

AndyW - 26-3-2005 at 19:46

Ho hum,

I'll probably give it a miss unless a katabatic kicks in Sunday morning to boost the F2/3 to F4/5.

Let us know if it produces the goods ;-)

Otherwise lets hope for next weekend...

justal - 26-3-2005 at 19:56

Yeah, the wind wasn't up to a lot. It did fill in for a while this morning, just enough for some sailing with big kit... BEFS was out with his 7m I think. I went surfing instead as the surf was going off.

The wind has filled in now that it's dark so we'll have to see what tomorrow morning brings, there might be just about enough in the estuary.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 26-3-2005 at 21:11

I will be there in the morning.
Paranormal investigation was intesting
Shame about the wind today

befs

justal - 26-3-2005 at 21:13

What time will you get there in the morning BEFS (remember the clock go forward!)

I'll do my best to get up early for a session if there is wind, but I'm feeling pretty knackered at the moment after an epic days surfing!

Did you see any ghosts then?

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 28-3-2005 at 11:58

I was there about 9ish but the wind wasn't I went round the to the point a flew kite for a while.
Didn't see any ghost but had some noises that couldn't be explained and had a table moving and I had a good look no one was pushing it

I had a quick look in estuary this morning but no wind so headed home early to miss the traffic

justal - 28-3-2005 at 13:24

Shame about the wind wasn't it... Still, the surf was nice and the sun was shining! I did come looking for you a few times but could never find you. Didn't see AndyW anywhere either.

Al.