Board logo

Going Ghetto Tubeless
justal - 9-8-2008 at 13:59

has anyone else tried the Ghetto Tubeless system?

I keep getting pinch flats (not that often but its annoying when I) so I though I'd give it a try.

Just been playing around with it on my front wheel. No problem whatsoever getting the tyre beads to seal properly and got the tyre inflated nice and easily. The whole sidewall of the tyre was bubbling away nicely though once I put sealant in the tyre and inflated it. Clearly the sidewall wasn't at all airtight, I'm just hoping that the sealant plugs all of the little pores and that I've put enough sealant in there.

If the tyre is still inflated in the morning I shall take it for a little spin and then do the same with the rear wheel.

I'm not fully convinced about it yet but its fun to try these things. Has anyone else tried it?

Al.

REECEY - 9-8-2008 at 18:10

I thought of going tubeless when i changed my worn out wheels. I can't see any real advantage over tubes. Just hope it's not a fad. Time will tell.

justal - 10-8-2008 at 05:06

Fewer punctures is the main advantage... I know whenever I go out for a ride in a group then those with tubes are always the ones who get flats, those who are tubeless never get flats. Apparently there is less rolling resistance too but I doubt that will be noticable.

Mine stayed inflated overnight, but did loose quite a bit pressure as air still seems to be escaping through the sidewall casing of the tyres... Will have to take it out for a spin before I do the rear wheel as well.

I think the sidewall casing of the tyres (Continental Mountain Kings) isn't airtight but the pores letting the air through are microscopic so the sealant is unable to seal them.

Al.

Spooker - 10-8-2008 at 08:37

Obvous question I know Al - but your rims are tubeless compatable? They won't seal on ordinary rims - at least when I looked into them that was the case.

Other main stated advantage of tubeless is of course weight saving.

REECEY - 10-8-2008 at 21:52

Spooker,i think you'll find there is no real weight saving on the tyre and by the time you've put your goo in the tyre any advantage must be lost. Justal claims their main advantage is fewer punctures but if he's got porous tyres where is the advantage.MMMM. The goo can also block the valve stopping you re-inflating your tyre also mini pumps don't have enough volume to re-seat your tyre should it go down. I think i'll stick with "ye olde" tubes

[Edited on 10-8-2008 by REECEY]

justal - 11-8-2008 at 06:10

Spooker... I'm just using normal rims and normal tyres... Thats the whole point of the 'Ghetto' tubeless system, no expensive, heavy UST components just plain old rims and tyres.

There should be a weight saving but not a lot as the sealant obviously weighs something too, but they are supposed to feel nicer and have less rolling resistance.

As far as reinflating the tyre goes then I think it will be OK as I had no problem whatsoever getting them inflated in the first place. The tyres had been on the wheels for a while beforehand so that they had a certain 'memory' of the shape of the ri and therefore seated really well.

No doubt old fashioned tubes are less hassle but its nice to try these things to see and everyone else I ride with rides tubeless and swears by it... I always feel bad when they're all stood around waiting for me to repair a puncture, whereas they NEVER have a flat.

Al.

justal - 11-8-2008 at 16:35

Just been out for a ride a couple of times around the Pendam Trail with my new Ghetto Tubeless setup and all seems fine.

No punctures and no air loss so its looking good so far!

Al.

justal - 20-8-2008 at 15:39

I've been riding my Ghetto Tubeless set up for a couple of weeks now and it is going well. It does feel a little nicer, more positive in the corners and so far I haven't had any problems with it.

I've even ridden a couple of trails where I often get pinch flats and have clattered over some pretty big rocks that would normally cause issues but as there isn't a tube I can't get pinch flats.

It is still early days, but although I was a little dubious to start with I think it is beginning to look like a good idea.. Lighter weight, fewer flats and it feels better, I think I'm a tubeless convert!

Al.

kelvin - 17-9-2008 at 18:41

intresting method of going tube free
but with 2.5 twin wall downhill tyres and ultra duty tubes dont have any real problems , even running sub 30 tyre pressure , other than hauling the weight up hills on longer runs .