Author: Subject: more for your money?
gavin
Grommet

Member #: 469
Posts 8

Mood:

posted on 23-1-2004 at 13:16 Reply With Quote
more for your money?

i'm going to buy a kite for the first time this spring, it'll be just a toy for playing about with and nothing serious but in looking about have gone from spending around 100/150quid to 240quid.

as i don't really know what i'm looking at is it worth spending the extra for something that (will hopefully) be better in terms of performance/construction? i don't want to spend 100quid then find i outgrow it when for the xtra cash i could have something that will last longer.

for info the stuff i'm looking at the bottom end are are the eolo radails 3m and PKD buster 3m up to the ozone little devil 3m or wildwing 3.3m.

any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated. thanks.

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 23-1-2004 at 13:37 Reply With Quote
Hi there,

There are absolutely loads of entry level kites for that kind of money out now.

Do you intend to use it just for flying/jumping or planning on moving to boarding or buggying later?

Something about 3m is probably a good size, depending on your weight, 3-4m is good to start with.

The standard Radsail isn't that great a kite either in terms of quality or performance, it flies ok in a decent wind but there are better out there for similar money.

PKD Buster is a great kite, decent quality but lines aren't great but perfectly useable I've had a set on my 1.4m for about 9 months and they're still ok (Used in up to 45 mph winds!)

Little Devils are really nice, stable, very well made with quality materials but is quite a lot more expensive.

They are going to be replaced soon (next month?) by the Ozone Samurai wnich could be worth a look also.

Then there are the new Peter Lynn Rebbles, I had a go on a 3.5 last week and it was excellent, very smooth and decent power, plus Bullets and Blades, the list goes on....

Shem raves about the Windwings so they must be good, think he also has a used one for sale, about 3.3m?

Best thing is try to have a go on a few before you decide, where are you based, sure local fliers would let you have a go on their kit, or shops often run demo days to try out new gear?

Also loads of reviews on the following site that may be helpful?

http://www.racekites.com

gavin
Grommet

Member #: 469
Posts 8

Mood:

posted on 24-1-2004 at 19:41 Reply With Quote
hi, cheers for that. basically i'm looking for something to just play about with, although maybe a montainboard may be added on down the line so i want someting thats going to last me well.. hence am i better off spending the extra (almost double).

interesting what you say about the eolo radsails, initially i read some good comments about these but as i dig further i seem to be getting more negative comments.

i'm also interested in sailing it with a control bar rather than two handles, does that make any difference to the choice of kite?

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 27-1-2004 at 14:40 Reply With Quote
Gavin,

As far as I know all the four line kites I've flown (flexifoil, peter lynn, ozone) can be flown on two lines. You just lose some of the control or maneouvrebility - it makes them turn slower.

Personally, I prefer flying with handles. You can still use a harness loop and the extra control helps the jumps and other moves.

I also agree about the radsails. PKD sound good value for money.

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy