Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: how to use my new kite
Grommet

Member #: 589
Posts 8

Mood:

posted on 15-4-2004 at 12:50 Reply With Quote
how to use my new kite

i recently bought a kite, a cautionkite 12m. had it out recently body dragging. went quite well. i was wondering what effect all the differnent line positions have, theres 4 ropes and 2 knots (i think) on each rope, on the wing tip. my more experienced friend set up the lines for me, i think he put the leading lines on the knot closest to the bar, on the rope closest to the leading edge and put the steering lines on the closest knot on the closest steering rope to the leading edge. what effect would changing this have. sorry if this doesnt make sense!

also while im here, does any one know any good kite schools in scotland?

thanks for any advice

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 15-4-2004 at 13:27 Reply With Quote
I'm sure Shem will respond to this as he flys cautions, and will know what the best settings are.

If you shorten the power lines (front lines) , use the knot closest to the kite and lengthen the steering lines (back ones) it'll have less power. The other way round will give more power, but with shorter back than front you may oversheet and stall the kite. That is if all your lines are the same length though.

Mark

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by dunk]

Grommet

Member #: 589
Posts 8

Mood:

posted on 15-4-2004 at 17:07 Reply With Quote
i actually had some bother with it when i first flew the kite, it kept trying to turn right. my friend told me the that one of lines may have streched more than the other so we measured them and one is about 8cm longer, the left steering line i think. i have the left steering line a couple of knots down the rope attached to the control bar now to counter this. is this the right thing to do or should i keep where the lines attached to the control bar on the same knot and vary where they attach to the kite?

also i bought the kite second hand and one of the small bladders (are they called struts or something?) deflates slowly. the kite seems to fly ok, i didn't have it out for long tho. i don't think there are any punctures, theres certainly no marks on the material, but the sealing may have burst. is there any way to fix this?

thanks

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by newbie]

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 16-4-2004 at 17:11 Reply With Quote
Hi, you can get a puncture repair kit for them, most kite shops will probably have them, or advise you what to use. I think dunk pretty much explained every thing with the toggle settings. Theres a kite school in scotland called "kitesurf scotland", Ive spoken to the owner a couple of times, and he seems sound. Hope you like the kite.

All the best

You can always give me a call if your unsure of any settings, etc.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy