Author: Subject: too much power?
shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 20-4-2004 at 09:15 Reply With Quote
too much power?

I'm quite new to kitesurfing and had my first real blasting day last sunday (wickedly good fun). However, when tearing along it felt like I had a bit too much power, found it really hard to keep an edge in, and could have done with the kite being closer to the front edge of the window - I just couldn't figure out how to get it there - it just carried on along right next to me no matter how many sine wave thingies I made..... any tips?

Don't have a cow man!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 20-4-2004 at 14:13 Reply With Quote
Try slowing things down a bit.... If you go blasting off as fast as you can, then you effectively keep pace with your kite and it ends up right in front of you right in the power zone rather than at the edge of the window (or thats how it feels anyway)... If you slow your board speed down by pressuring the back foot, heading upwind and looking upwind rather than at the kite, then your board speed will slow down, allowing the speed of the kite to take it to the edge of the window....Does that make sense??

Instead of powering up and going off as fast as you can, try to keep your board speed down a little right from the start... It'll make you more comfortable, you'll feel as though there is less power, you'll get upwind easier and you'll get the hang of the basics which will eventually give you a good standing for when you have the abilioty to handle the speed..

This is only from personal experience though, and I don't have too much of that yet, so it may or may not help.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 22-4-2004 at 09:04 Reply With Quote
Cheers Al - sounds like it makes sense - I just need another good day to give it a try.... I was definately heading off on a broad reach and going like the clappers so that ties up well with what you say.....

Will report on assorted beaches later today hopefully - do you just want UK beaches?

Don't have a cow man!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-4-2004 at 16:40 Reply With Quote
Yeah, UK only will do for now.... I have split the UK up into various regions and you have to allocate a beach description to one of those regions anyway.

Still have a couple fo weeks work to finish it off yet I expect, but it would be good to get some descriptions in there so that its ready to go when I release it.

Have fun with the kiting... You'll soon get the hang of it.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy