Posts 19

Mood: throw me a frikken bone

posted on 20-5-2004 at 08:04 Reply With Quote
Naish 25m V4 report

Rider – Rob aka The Russian, 98kgs
Board – Naish 4’7 Pro Mutant, with TFC fins
Location – Hillhead, Wed May 19
Wind – 10 to 15knots

First out of the bag, this kite seems BIG, I have been told by Naish UK that the kite fabric is slightly thinner than on smaller sizes, so as to keep the weight of the canopy down. As a result, it’s best to pump the kite up away from any sharp stones, etc.

As for set up, the battens fit along the wing tips and the pocket for the battens is accessed from a Velcro roll back pocket on the Kevlar corner section. I admit having left the batten at home, so this report is written WITHOUT the batten in use, so the turning speed will be slower than with the batten in place.

The next set up tip is to lengthen the chicken loop line length; this is done by easing the knot (a bowline) at the base of the power strap. But make sure you do this carefully as this is a very important knot and you must keep the bowline looking like a bowline.. If in doubt ask someone who was a cub scout/girl guide (and make sure she helps you whilst wearing her uniform….aye). Make the chicken loop line as long as possible, but giving approx over an inch for slippage of the knot, as if you do this right at the end, the end could get pulled through the knot and you’ll be proper F##ked.

The kite fitting are simple and effective, there’s a spinning leash that works really well and the attachment points on the kite are as simple as it gets – single loops and knots only, so there’s no worries about where to set the kite up, just attach the lines and go. The lines have been reassuringly beefed up as well.

In the air as you walk to the water, the kite feels very similar to the 20m V4, just bigger. BUT power the kite by sheeting out (pushing the bar away from you) and then diving the kite hard and OH MY GOD…. This has more grunt than Badger after a heavy curry session… the kite needs to be sheeted out to get the apparent air flow, but once that’s locked in…. you’re flying… literally… the kite seems impervious to any lulls

Before I went out, the only guy out was Steve Moore and he was out on his 16m hairbrush and going well….. Normally if he’s on his 12m, I could just about get going on a 20m…. he weighs about 7.5kg. Steve and a few others were doing OK, some struggling to keep their ground.. But I was blitzing, riding very hard shooting upwind… and for the important thing this kite BOOSTS. Setting up for a pop forward, the kite lifts you hard and high, with awesome performance giving that I was riding in about 10knots. Single forwards were difficult as you had more than enough airtime for doubles and single backwards were a waste of time as everything turned into over-rotations again due to the airtime… in the end I was doing triples instead. If you lose a bit of ground, just simply point your board upwind edge really hard and the kite does the rest.

The kite is physical and does give you a back/leg workout, but I have never had such a good time in 10knots…. It was more like using a 20m X2 in 17-20knots…. That’s how good the airtime was.

I cant wait to use this in summer surf in devon, as you can park the kite easily in the sky and the waveriding would be superb as there’s SO much grunt and the kite turns so well for its size… also boosting off waves would be frikken awesome !

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by The Russian]

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary....come again

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 20-5-2004 at 09:29 Reply With Quote
sounds awesome!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 20-5-2004 at 11:37 Reply With Quote
Sounds like a sharp tool for the shed..the main question everyone has on the end of their tongues is, How much does it cost??

We will soon no doubt see kites of this quality rise up from all the kitebrands design & manufacturing inferno's! It can only get better..

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy