Author: Subject: The best spot?
john evans

Member #: 1229
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 25-2-2005 at 14:52 Reply With Quote
The best spot?

Hello people
I started windsurfing in 1985 and sailed regularly up until about 5 years ago, I was then diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both knees (its a family thing) I now need to get back to doing a bit but in the right conditions, I live in the Forest of Dean so West Wales seems a good bet.(I know every one will say portland)
Does anyone have any recommendations? for any flat water sailing (which I think I will be able to manage) i.e; wind directions beaches etc;

thanks in antisipation John E

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 26-2-2005 at 19:26 Reply With Quote
Hi John,
Not sure how far into Wales you want to go, but Dale in Pembrokeshire may just fit the bill for some flat water sailing. Otherwise somewhere on the Gower should be OK. Oxwich tends to have some flat water sailing more than the other beaches on the Gower. It is good in a SW and stays fairly flat.

Of course, almost anywhere along the S. Wales coast can be flat on certain days and in certain wind directions.

If you want to venture further up the coast and into Cardigan Bay then there a few sheltered estuaries that offer flat water conditions even when there is a decent blow.

Take a look through the Beachguides for more ideas. Let us know when and where you'll be and if anyone else is going to be there I'm sure they'll meet up with you. I should imagine you would want someone else around for your first few ventures back on the water... Hope the knees hold out, and you manage to get back into it.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 26-2-2005 at 19:32 Reply With Quote
How about Llandegfedd res at Pontypool/Cwmbran
not too far a journey , defeniatly flat , worth a try before getting your sea legs back .

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
john evans

Member #: 1229
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 29-4-2005 at 14:44 Reply With Quote
WEST WALES

Hi Al
I know its a bit late but thanks for the reply I will give them a go and have a good look round.
cheers John E

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 29-4-2005 at 22:38 Reply With Quote
hi John. how about trying kitesurfing, far less strain on the legs eh Al ; very small board. might be an alternative and you ddont need such high winds to get going, so less overall strain on the body!
ok it might be one of the reasons why i do it,but another one is that it is far easier than wind surfing and you dont have all that kit to carry arround and fall on you!!! eh Al?

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 22-5-2005 at 18:51 Reply With Quote
Quote "it is far easier than wind surfing"
Never a truer sentence typed, as for "kit fall on you " would you like to expand on that,
ie, did it fall out of a window,....

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy