Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Help choosing a new board & fins
Deejayry

Member #: 2215
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 2-8-2006 at 14:53 Reply With Quote
Help choosing a new board & fins

Hey fellow sponger dudes. I've just signed up here today so...

HELLO!!

This summer i've decided that i want to do a lot more boarding, i've had a semi decent board now for a couple of years but only used it on the odd occasion, mainly as until a few months ago i didnt have a wetsuit and usualy ended up turning blue from the cold water here in the uk. recently i've been heading down to woolacombe as often as possible, and have been in the water most weekends since late may.

All though i'm not the best boarder by far i feel tha the board i have is not helping me improve, At 41" long its just a little too small for me (just below my hip), and is also in a bit of a sorry state with a few cuts in the upper deck causing the board to start delaminating from water ingress.

I've been thinking about getting a new board for the last couple of weeks, my budget would idealy be between £100-£130 but could stretch to £150.

I ride prone at the moment, and dont really see myself riding dropknee for a while. So i'm looking for a bat tailed board with channels and probably 43" long.

I think i've narrowd it down to the Mike Stewart Science MS3 board, The BZ Hubb LTD. i really like the look of the No6 Sting but not sure i want to stretch to £165 also i think its largest size is 41.5" so probably still a little too small.

Anyone got any advice of what board would be better for me? I know i'm looking at boards that are more aimed at the pro's but i want somthing that i can really improve on. If getting such a board will hinder my progress then let me know before i go and waste my money.

I'm also having difficulty finding a comfy set of fins. all the ones i've hired and seen in the local surf shops are horible and not even close to comfortable. what options are there to improve comfort, i wear socks most of the time, just because i hate the cold!! are there any fins that are actually designed to be comfy?

southbourne sponger
Grommet

Member #: 1565
Posts 9

Mood:

posted on 2-9-2006 at 10:33 Reply With Quote
Unless you want a stiff board steer clear of the ms 3 its got 2 stringers and a polypro core, the hubb is a good board but get the 2006 ,i got a refund on my 2005 hubb they had a problem with the slick. I think nmd make good boards of all shapes, sizes and price, try http://www.bodyboardhq.co.uk/index1.htm. Phone dave up who owns the shop , he wont sell you a dog and he will help you out no end , as for the fins have you tried the tech 2 , i've got a pair absolutley brilliant but always try them on in the shop first as everyone has different shaped feet .
Maybe see you in north devon some time

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 8-9-2006 at 12:35 Reply With Quote
I would also go for the Hubb, they are known to be really good, and getting the 2006 will help too. Hold the top of the board you have at your lips and then see where the bottom reaches to on your body. If it is still just below your hips then yes you will need something a bit bigger than 41". I think you have to aim for the board meeting your lips and just above your knees.
Getting a new board, even if it's what the pro's use, will help your progress and improvement in bodyboarding so don't worry about getting a high spec/pro board. You will find it a lot easier to bodyboard with one of these.

I also have hydro tech 2 fins. I highly recommend these, very comfey and with good thrust. They fit to your feet with the special foot pockets. But make sure you wear your socks with them when you try them on in the shop! If they are too tight with socks on and are tight on your feet, then get the next size up. I made the mistake of trying them on without socks...now if I wear socks the fins start to give me cramp.
Hope this helps.

[Edited on 8-9-2006 by Airborne]

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy