Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Re: 3rd January 2007 Diary Entry by justal.
AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 4-1-2007 at 15:54 Reply With Quote
Re: 3rd January 2007 Diary Entry by justal.

On 3rd January 2007, justal wrote:

quote:
Windsurfing: Ynyslas
Wind Direction: SSW
Wind Stength: 25-30 knots
Surf / Sea State: 2 foot surf
Air Temperature: 11¬?C
Sea Temperature: 10¬?C
Weather: Cloudy

Just perfect to start with, well powered up and flying along with my 5m. Jump after jump after jump on the way out, all nicely controlled and flat out, managed to jump off one wave and clear the wave behind it a few times which is always good. Started psyching myself up for a forward loop and then right out the back as I was flying across the chop with a big grin on my face I heard C-R-A-C-K as my mast snapped... I looked over my shoulder as i fell into the sea and though... b*gg*r, it\'s a long way back to shore.

I then spent the next hour dragging myself and my kit back to the beach, I thought about ditching it all bar the board a few times, but as I wasn\'t drifting too far along the beach and I was making slow progress towards the shore I hung onto it all.. I did loose the bottom of my mast (which had snapped anyway) and my boom, but finally managed to get back to shore in one piece... It\'s a long and lonely swim on your own out there in January.

Time now for a nice hot drink to recover from my near death experience!.. And a phone call to Gun for a new mast and boom.

That's a big swim to start the year off. I guess there was no one around to see you disappear out there.

Glad to hear that you're OK.

Any damage to your sail or did the mast go by the boom cut out?

Cheers, Andy

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 4-1-2007 at 17:28 Reply With Quote
Yep, I was all on my own, not even a dog-walker in sight.

I think the sail is OK although I haven't inspected it properly yet.. I haven't checked my wetsuit properly yet either as I got stabbed a few times by the broken shards of carbon from the mast, so there would be a hole in that... It managed to put a few big scratches on my board as well, but as far as I could see as I put it on the wheel-barrow it was only cosmetic damage (hopefully).

A new mast has been ordered, but I shall probably be off the water unitl it arrives (hopefully soon).

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy