Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Advice Needed
Murf

Member #: 513
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 19-1-2004 at 15:28 Reply With Quote
Advice Needed

I am keen to do more bodyboarding in the UK during the summer. I have used some cheaper boards up till now but want to buy a new board with a budget of about £150. I have looked at whats out there and am spoilt for choice. I need advice on the pros & cons of the different makes, shapes, materials etc. The use will be mainly prone, UK only. I am about 5' 11" and 11st. I expect to be buying a 42" but need help sorting out the rest of it. For instance, some people say Manta boards are to stiff for UK surf! Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
bodhi
Hot shot

Member #: 494
Posts 36

Mood: Reet

posted on 19-1-2004 at 23:18 Reply With Quote
Hi there Murf

You're right about manta boards, I have one and they are more warm water performers. The warmer water helps them to spring better, which helps you to bend the board into a bottom turn and drive it back up the face. Having said that, the cheaper manta's are not made of the really high quality foam, and they tend to be better in our cold seas. The Manta epo air is an awesome board, which would perfom well in any water, but is pricey.
Wave rebel make better boards for cold water, but the build quality can be shoddy so check carefully for even seams and suspicious warps in the surface.
Thodd who posts here regularly has an Ion board. They only make one, it's around £160 which he absolutely swears by. It's got a really well designed slick with multiple channels which will help control in colder waters. However the only place we've seen them for sale in the uk is a shop called Hunter's in Woolacombe, they may do mail order though.

However, My best advice is to get in touch with dave at
www.bodyboardhq.co.uk
If you send your price range, style and height/weight etc they'll tell you everything you need to know. They're the ultimate uk knowledge for body boards and will advise you better than anyone about cold and warm water boards. They also get the pick of the best stock, so you can guarantee a quality board. I can't recommend highly enough the advice and the knowledge that these guys have. send them a mail.

Happy riding

Bodhi

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by bodhi]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 20-1-2004 at 09:27 Reply With Quote
Hi Murf,

Bodhis right, bodyboardhq are really good so if I were you i'd definatly drop them a line.
Of course i'm going to boast about my board and claim its the best cos its mine..... its very fast and can turn on a sixpence, its not designed for drop knee tho.

A board you should take a look at is the Morey Mach 7-7,
I used one of these for a brief period and they are an excellent tried and tested all round board. Excellent for prone, and quite capable of drop knee as well.

For explanations on the different tail shapes and sizes of the boards go to ;

http://www.bodyboardhq.co.uk/index1.htm

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 14-3-2004 at 19:38 Reply With Quote
Hi guys, you seem like you know your stuff so i was wondering if you could help me out. I have a Manta Elite bodyboard (£99), is this good in colder waters eg. France and U.K.? And is it alright for both prone and drop knee because i'd like to improve on both styles?
One more question...what are channels and what do they do? Because i need to think about getting a new board, any suggestions from what i've said i do?

Thanks in advance for your help. Keep on posting!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy