Author: Subject: new to kites
johno
Beach Bum

Member #: 507
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 23-1-2004 at 20:32 Reply With Quote
new to kites

Hi, I have limited experience on my friends kite buggy.I would like to buy a kite and start landboarding, after reading through your forums, most people seem to be recommending the blade for boarding. I am 78 kilos, should I buy the 4 metre or the 4.9 metre? Also thinking about the bullet 4.5 or should i just stick with buying the blade? Any help appreciated. Thanks Johno
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 24-1-2004 at 18:33 Reply With Quote
Johno...

Don't limit yourself just to Flexifoil.. take a look at this thread...

Adam has suggested a few entry level kites that should suit you. I'm sure he'll have some other suggestions for you as well. The blade is a lovely kite and it is perfectly suited to boarding. I use the 4.9m on a mt-board and its a really nice size. Although slightly smaller is often better on a board (or buggy) as you can generate power easily on land by moving the kite around (smaller kites are more responsive and actually easier to generate power with in this way). A smaller kite is therefore useable in a wider range of conditions as you can fly it in light winds, but also hold onto it in stronger winds. With a bigger kite although you can fly it in light winds, you'll have to put it away once the wind picks up.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Kite Central
Beach Bum

Member #: 803
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 3-6-2004 at 20:34 Reply With Quote
Flexi now is more of a name thing than anything else, just like nike or adidas. Kite have come on a long way and now they are so many more kites out there to choose from, but the problem is when your spending the kind of money on a kite you want the right one, and Flexi tends to be a safe bet.

Remember all kites are different, and are used for different things, a Blade is good for boarding, due to the lift, but not what i would recommend for a buggying unless you was taking up freestyle, because the lift will have you soon out your seat.

Where as the bullet is more suited for buggying, can be used for boarding but wont give you the lift you require if your serious about boarding, just loads of pull.

I my self fly ozone frenzys, they are more expensive but the bonus is they are a depowerable foil, so one kite will cover a massive wind range, where normally you would need 2 or 3 different size kites.

Ozone also do the LD and the new release samuri now, which looks good. Your best bet is try and get out to some spots and have ago with other peoples kites, but dont let 1 or 2 goes make your mind up for you, or even try some shops, most have a try before you buy poicy.

When i 1st used a frenzy i couldnt stand them, but its just a different type of flying, now i never look back, just down with the massive airs i'm getting, lol

[center][/center]

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 3-6-2004 at 20:46 Reply With Quote
As a starter level kite I personally recomend the 3.5 or 4.5 bullet. Loads of power, but as previously stated not to much lift, this is so important, as you cant learn to fly a kite properly if your 10 foot off the ground!! Itll also double as a perfect high wind buggying kite, once your really into it. A cheaper alternative is the 5 meter HQ BEAMER, great power for the money, however not such a large wind range, and very much not as stable,( Collapses a lot in lighter wind).

Finally, Id stay away from the blade as a first kite, unless youve flown other peoples kites regulary first.

Good luck and have fun
shem
www.kitesurfwales.co.uk
KITE SCHOOL.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy