Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 25-2-2004 at 12:38 Reply With Quote
A weird sea creature; The Ocean Sunfish

Browsing through the many pages of the web i've come across this article about Ocean Sunfish. I've never even heard of these things and they're HUGE!!! I would definatly ruin my wetsuit if i came across one!

"WATCH OUT FOR SUNFISH!

Following the sighting recently of a great white shark off the Cornish coast there have now been confirmed reports that Ocean Sunfish are visiting the seas off Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion. Most commonly a native of the California coastline, this gentle giant inhabits all tropical and temperate seas. Sunfish are believed to have migrated to the west coast of Wales in search of new territory in response to the global warming phenomena and recent hot weather. The fish get their name because of their habit of rising to sunbathe on the surface if the sea temperature gets too low, they can be a danger to small vessels as they can measure up to almost two metres across their backs and weigh in at nearly two tonnes. "

More photos of this wierd creature can be seen at :

http://earthwindow.com/mola.html />

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 25-2-2004 at 14:25 Reply With Quote
Weirder still that the fish has three different shapes depending on its age. It metamorphosis from something looking more like a fish to the huge beast in the picture.

What concerns me most was the bit about the White Man in Grey Suit spoted near Cornwall

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

qualigs
Hot shot

Member #: 9
Posts 32

Mood: Moochin'

posted on 25-2-2004 at 17:27 Reply With Quote
a bit like a pokemon then..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
paz
Grommet

Member #: 216
Posts 14

Mood: Allways chilled out

posted on 25-2-2004 at 22:22 Reply With Quote
Yep! seen one of these. Just off the coast at borth.Stoped me dead, as my fin dug in to it!Thought it was a sand bank, as you do! I was doin some speed at the time, Bust my fin, I Had to be towed back in to shore.Think it was some time last April! Hope i did'nt kill it, there was lots of blood in the water at the time.
badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 26-2-2004 at 08:34 Reply With Quote
I've run over a pike at Brogborough that was already dead though, wasn't big enough to do any damage to me or board the pike was a bit the worst for wear!

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 26-2-2004 at 08:37 Reply With Quote
You should report your sighting paz, theres a whole load of people out there trying to track these beasts down (see link below)! I put these things in the same category as basking sharks- I know they won't intentionaly hurt me but i'd still freak if i bumped into one!

http://earthwindow.com/report.html

paz
Grommet

Member #: 216
Posts 14

Mood: Allways chilled out

posted on 26-2-2004 at 19:20 Reply With Quote
Know what your saying Thodd! But I was freakin out, you should have seen the damage it did to my board.It was hard to claim for the damage/ins, as I did'nt know the name of the fish I hit. Thanks to you mate! now I know, I can tell the Ins-company and maybe claim back my excess.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy