A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 28-3-2004 at 17:02 Reply With Quote
Kite

Its Rob's fault!

Had a go on Robs kite today, great fun I want one!

Want a kite to use when its not windy enough for windsurfing

Would maybe like to get a board or buggy
at later date.

What should I get ?

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 28-3-2004 at 17:18 Reply With Quote
You're welcome to come down to where I go kiting and have a try with a load of different kites we have between us to see which you prefer and can give you some advice

Its between Sherington and Newport Pagnell (Kite Planet field), we're out most weekends from about 12-1pm and nice evenings after work especially now we have more light. Website here:

http://www.mkkiteflyers.co.uk

Probably the only time you'll see me as I rarely go windsurfing to Brog these days as I'm always out kiting!

Even today only about 5-10 mph there were a load of us out and even though it wasn't that exciting was a nice afternoon. Friend got 32mph in his buggy with the assist of the hill flying a 7.5m race kite

I guess for a first kite to use in light winds should go for between a 4 and 5m lots of choice these days but I still think you can't go wrong with a Flexifoil Blade as an allrounder.

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 29-3-2004 at 08:23 Reply With Quote
somebody else caught the bug i'm seriously looking to buy a big kite now for after easter, after this weekends frankly dire performance!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 29-3-2004 at 16:45 Reply With Quote
Hehehe.... I knew you succumb in the end BEFS!!!

The beauty of kiting as a lightwind alternative to windsurfing is that a kite and mountain board don't actually take up too much room in your car so you can always thake them with you 'just in case'

As Adam says, look out for a 4-5m foil. I was using a 4.9m Blade I on Sunday and there was plenty of power in that to pull me along nicely on the mountain board... Once you get into it you may want something even bigger for really lightwind days, and then once the wind gets up to 15 knots and the 4-5m foil becomes a handful you can go windsurfing.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 29-3-2004 at 20:02 Reply With Quote

:O at the price of blades found this kite on the net anyone had any experiance with of it? says it similar to blade but nearly £140 cheaper

Eolo radsail pro 5.0m Power Kite

New from Radsails is a kite completely redesigned by Andy Preston. It features a dyneema bridle (normally found on more expensive kites), with fully reinforced bridle points and gauze on the leading edge.
Basically these are a similar design to a Blade, but made elsewhere and at a bargain price. Excellent choice for boarding or buggy use.

Like the other Radsail Pro power kites, the 5m has a great technical design allowing it to fly upwind better than many other kites, great for landboarding and buggying. There's plenty of power for getting air, this is a kite for intermediate to experienced flyers!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 29-3-2004 at 21:29 Reply With Quote
I've never flown the Radsail, but it would probably be OK for you.. The Peel that you flew at the weekend is quite an old (and not very efficient) kite, so its not as though you would need a top performance kite anyway...

How much was the Radsail?? From what I've just seen the 5m should be just over £200 brand new... You should be able to get a 2nd hand Blade for that amount.

A quick look around has found 4.9m Blade III's for £200 2nd hand.

Looks as thoguh people are hanging on (no pun intended!) to their Blades I's and II's though.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 29-3-2004 at 21:32 Reply With Quote
Also found a MK 1 Predator (4m) for £125 with new lines and handles...

I had a 2.8m Predator and it was a lovely kite.... This one was on the Flexifoil forums.

here:
http://www.flexifoil.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=35582

Al.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 29-3-2004 at 21:37 Reply With Quote
Rad sail pro 5 meter is a very powerfull kite, nice to fly as well, craig at the beach house has the 4 meter. May be a little to aggressive for even medium wind days. The HQ Beamer 5 meter that I was flying is far more "user friendly" Not as power full as a blade, but has a bigger wind range, and brand new costs £175!!

So many to choose from.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 30-3-2004 at 08:38 Reply With Quote
if you go for the radsail, make sure you get the 'pro' version. rumour has it the standard radsail is crap - not sure what it is thats wrong with the standard version, but i'm sure if you check the flexifoil forums you'll find something about it...

the radsail pro is supposed to be pretty good though

don't forget the mac bego 400 or 600 too... excellent light wind kites apparently.

rob

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
adam

Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 30-3-2004 at 11:24 Reply With Quote
Radsail Pros have been getting good reviews, we had a 4m demo to try out. It is a lot better than the standard Radsaill but didn't fly as nicely as Blades, Bullets, Little devils or even Busters .

Had a decent amount of power I guess not much lift, the bridles are made from stupidly heavy line which adds a lot of drag to the kite, but should mean it won't break!

HQ Beamers look good, better build quality than Busters by the look, I had a 2.5 on demo last week and it has now gone back, one of the seams let go (2" tear) without any big crashes, may just have been a lemon though

mk1 Predator is mainly a buggy kite, not the best for static flying/jumping or boarding if thats what you want to do, mk2 and mk3 Predators were better all rounders with more lift.

Decision is yours really but I do advise having a go on a few before deciding only so much you can tell from the blurb!

I recently sold my Blade I 4.9 for £150 with lines and handles which would have been perfect for you, now have a Blade III 4.9 and its amazing, even more powerful, more lift and quicker through the air and turning! There are always used deals like that about though, Blade I 4.9 about £150, Blade II 4m or 4.9 are generally about £180-200, Blade III can be had for about £230.

Cheaper Radsail Pro, 4m for £159:

http://www.radicalsports.co.uk/bargains.asp

Reviews:

http://www.virtualkitestore.com/eolo_radsail_pro_review.htm

Used kites:

http://www.flexifoil.com/community/forums/

As Al said the Peel you had a go on is an old design (still nice though), a modern foil of the same size will produce a lot more power, I think a 5m peel equates to about 3.5-4m Blade or similar The first thing to get your head round will be 4 lines, offers a lot more control though.

Generally people go for around a 4m kite first a Blade III 4.9 pulls like a Blade II 6.4 so may be a bit of a handful, always start in light winds!

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 30-3-2004 at 16:02 Reply With Quote
As shem says so many to choose from, not sure how much im going to find out by trying as I have never flown a kite with 4 line so will probaly all feel bad at first! Im tempted by the beamer as shem says its more user friendly I think thats what I will need, found one for 160 too.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 5-4-2004 at 10:10 Reply With Quote
I got it wind all gusty and way to much for maiden flight out side so unpacked in living room, looks @*+£)%£ huge

Quick question for shem whats the best knots to have th brake lines on for starting out?

cheers

befs

adam

Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 5-4-2004 at 18:57 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by badexcuseforasailor
Quick question for shem whats the best knots to have th brake lines on for starting out?

Shem I ain't but from memory I think I set the Beamer I had on the 2nd knot down the leader from the kite (Are there 5 in total?) On the one furthest from the kite the brakes didn't work at all. You can also fine tune by adding knots on the rope leaders on the handles.

You want it so the brakes trail loosely but when you pull the bottom of the handles in the kite will reverse and land. If they are too tight the kite won't take off.

Have fun!

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 5-4-2004 at 21:33 Reply With Quote
ok cheers Adam probaly best to start off with too much brake and not get off the ground than to get it up in the air and not have any! :O
Just need some suitable wind now

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-4-2004 at 06:38 Reply With Quote
Looks as though the wind is calming down for the end of the week BEFS...

Before you set up the kite, make sure all four-lines are exactly the same length...Although they say they are, they might not be. If you check it first, it could save a lot of hassle.

and then, as you say, start off with too much brake and go from there. As Adam says, its easier if you put some knots in the leaders on the handles as you can then make adjustments there (make sure the knots are equal on both sides)... It saves you walking backwards and forwards from the kite to make the adjustments. Just land the kite and adjust the line length at the handle end.

Have fun!!

Al.

keiths

Member #: 796
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 2-6-2004 at 16:07 Reply With Quote
Radsail

Look on the net,
You can get a 4m Radsail Pro for £120 incl postage from the states, Now that is silly cheap no matter what people say about the Radsail you just cannot go wrong at that price

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy