Venom
Grommet

Member #: 1105
Posts 7

Mood: Bored

posted on 20-11-2004 at 23:15 Reply With Quote
My delema

Hey guys,

I'm new here, and I am also new to bodyboarding. I used to bodyboard a long time ago but now im starting to get back into it.

Ok so I just got my brand spankin new board today. I was all stoked ripping through the tape on the package and I took out the board and it was beautiful! Then the worst thing happend, a big bubble at the very bottom of the board (on the side that you lay on, not the slick side). I was so bummed. So now I have a few options.

Option 1:
I could send it back to the place I bought it and wait about 3 more weeks to get an exchange. However I think that the bubble was formed because it was shipped oversea in a container that was probably really hot. So there is the chance of there being another bubble on the next board. I also run the risk of losing interest in bodyboarding over the 3 weeks of waiting.

Option 2:
Attemp to repair the bubble, I was reading about this and there are a few sites that say bubbles can be repaired by slicing them with a razor and them gluing them down again. However if I do this, I cannot return the board for a new one, eliminating one of my options. My friend says I could try popping it with a needle, and if it doesn't work then the people at the place i bought it from wont notice the little needle hole.

Option 3:
Just leave the bubble alone, I was reading and I found out that bubbles don't affect the performance of the board at all if they are on the foam side. The bubble is pretty big in size, about 2" x 5", but it is not very high (raised). It is not very easy to notice it if you just glance at it, but if you get close enough its very visable.

Well guys, I don't know what to do here, and i would really appreciate any of your opinions or advice.

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 21-11-2004 at 19:48 Reply With Quote
Hey Venom.

I know how annoying it is to get a bubble on a board. Thankfully its only happened to me once on a really rubbish old board.

My advice to you is go for option number 1! Repairing the bubble is very risky, sometimes it can make it worse. It also looks rubbish, and your not actually meant to do it.

If its got a bubble because of shipping (which is most likely the case) then its not your fault and you can return it and claim for a new one free of charge. Go for that.

Below is the post left by one the other members. If you want to view the whole topic then go to the "bodyboarding" forum, and then click on the "body board repair" topic. Here is the conversation below:

quote:
Originally posted by rip2190
hey im not all pro at this but i needed to know what the best was to repair a bb w/ bubbles on it (caused by sunlight and heat) all advice is greatly appreciated!!

I then replied to say:

quote:
Originally posted by Airborne
Hi rip 2190, nice to have another bodyboarder on the forum. I have the exact same problem that you have. I went on holiday to France and left my board on the inside of the car on top of the boot cover. The sun beat down on it and when i returned it had several bubbles in it due to the heat. The deck of the bodyboard was spongey, so it was probably worse than a proffesional board deck. Fortunately, it was only a £20 slick stick board! And unfortunately for you i don't think that you can get rid of the bubbles, so you can't repair it. Sorry. I got a newer better board, and wasn' that upset about the ruined board because it was cheap. This might be a different case for you. I've still kept the ruined one because it is still useable. You can either put up with it. (It didn't really bother me when sponging) Or you'll have to buy a new board. You could still ask one of the more experienced bodyboarders, you might be able to get a new deck. But, with the money you spend on that, you could put towards buying a new board.

Then someone else replied:

quote:
Originally posted by wez
no mate i think its safe to say its nacked ,get a new board and use the old one for shore breaks

SO ALL IN ALL GO FOR OPTION 1 MATE!

Don't worry about not getting back into bodyboarding im sure if you stay talking on here and looking for bodyboarding inspiration on other sites you'll pull through.

Hope this has helped. Reply if you want to.

Airborne.

Venom
Grommet

Posts 7

posted on 22-11-2004 at 00:17 Reply With Quote
Thanks Airborne, I guess I'll send it back then. One last question: Do bubbles get bigger?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 22-11-2004 at 16:00 Reply With Quote
Hi Venom...

I'm Agreeing with Airborne here.... you should get a new one!

Fortunatly i've never had any bubbles on my board, but I'm guessing that it cannt be doing the board any favours.

Not sure if it'll get any bigger, but at the end of the day your board is gonna have a weak spot on it and it aint gonna get any better!!!!

As for loosing your interest in bodyboarding, get yourself down to one of your local shops that rents out bodyboards, you can usually rent a half decent one for about £5 a day. Keep checking out the surf forecasts, watching BodyBoarding videos, reading mags and posting here!!

We'll keep your interest alive!!!

were about do you ride anyway?

Wasn't summer great? I think it was on a Thursday!

Venom
Grommet

Posts 7

posted on 23-11-2004 at 02:22 Reply With Quote
well guys guess what, i called the store today and they said that my board has no warranty, and that i cant return it no matter what. they said to just leave the bubble alone and if it gets really big then try to pop it.

so yeah now i really want to go to the beach, but i have no ride! just my luck i guess

i live in kauai, hawaii.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 23-11-2004 at 07:13 Reply With Quote
I don't know what the consumer laws on Kauai (Lucky B•st•rd) are, but assuming it was new when you bought it and wasn't advertised as reduced in price due to mionor damage, then you would be able to get it replaced under the sale of goods act as it wasn't 'as described'. Of course, retailers aren't always that cooperative and it may require a bit of a fight with them.

Also, if you bought it with a credit card then the credit card company would give you a guarantee as well, so if you couldn't get the retailer to replace / refund your money (i.e. they had gone into liquidation or just wouldn't respond to your requests) then you would be able to get your money back from the Credit Card company instead.... thats how it works in the UK anyway.

I bet there some good surf near you in Kauai??

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Venom
Grommet

Posts 7

posted on 23-11-2004 at 07:25 Reply With Quote
you a lawyer or something Al? hehe im cool with the bubble, it isnt that bad, the board was half price anyway, so im good with it. and now i dont have to wait 3 weeks

man Kauai is cool, but not a lot to do here except the beach.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy