Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: sailing in lewis
scousedoc

Member #: 1110
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 24-11-2004 at 17:00 Reply With Quote
sailing in lewis

Just joined the site when trying to find out about windsurfing in Lewis. Sounds like you had a blast there! Going up for a few days in December but a bit worried that it's so remote that I'll end up in Canada if not careful... Any helpful suggestions or contacts up there?

Love the site and yes I know that Lewis will be chilly in december........

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 24-11-2004 at 17:45 Reply With Quote
I didn't do huge amounts of windsurfing whilst on Lewis, but there are plenty of places to go. The NW coast get some MASSIVE swell, so it will depend on your ability in the waves up there, I found some good places on the NE coast though, and of course, being an island you can pretty much find somewhere suitable for your ability whatever the wind is doing.

Have you had a look through my old diary entires from Sept 2000? That was when I was last on Lewis. (I was in the Outer Hebrides earlier this year, but decided to stay on the Uists this time).

There is are also some really nice spots out on the West coast around Uig. The huge bay of Uig itself can be sailed at high tide. There is a new kitesurf school based there (check the links section of this site) I'm sure they will be happy to give you some advice on where to go.... Although, part of the attraction of the Hebrides is exploring for yourself and finding YOUR perfect location.

Have fun up there, and report back here.... Don't forget to pack LOTS of neoprene!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

scousedoc

Member #: 1110
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 24-11-2004 at 22:35 Reply With Quote
lewis

Thanks for the reply - I had had a look through the diaries at work today! I agree with the exploring for yourself and think the beauty of lewis/harris is that you won't see another soul but that also means that another soul won't see you drifting further and further away....

Just want to be slightly safe!

Your website has definitely provided the best insight to sailing etc up there and I will try to get in touch with the kite surfers up there.

I notice that West Kirby (my nearest) doesn't feature so will try and get some photos and a bit of info. With all that's in Wales I can't imagine someone driving up for a brief play on the river or the marine lake!!

Cheers, Jack

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 25-11-2004 at 07:04 Reply With Quote
There are a few other WK locals that post here on occasion, we'll look forward to your posts.

You'll love the Hebrides, they are by far my favourite place for 'Forces-of-Nature' sports. Although, we didn't like Lewis and Harris as much as the Uists as there was just too many people about and it was too busy. The Uists were much more relaxed and laid-back. It also takes quite a while to get from one side of Lewis/Harris to the other (a couple of hours in some cases) which kind of means you lose the advantage of being on an island.

Mind you, the surf on Lewis realy does 'go off' on a huge scale. Theres almost always some wind or surf.... Enjoy, and take it easy up there...as you mentioned before, next stop is Newfoundland!.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy