Author: Subject: Winter Socks
Doh!!!
Grommet

Member #: 1009
Posts 6

Mood:

posted on 23-1-2005 at 14:34 Reply With Quote
Winter Socks

I tried to get hold of a pair of winter socks to wear under my fins. The thickest ones I could find were by alder at 4mm, not available in size 10. So I ended up setteling for a pair of luna 3mm socks which were fine in October. Now January is well and truely upon us I find my feet are f-f-f-freezing after about an hour. I still can't find anything warmer[except boots which wouldn't fit under fins anyway].I am thinking of getting a pair of 2 mm socks to wear under the 3mm I've already got. I was just wandering if any had any experance of wearing 2 pairs of socks like this?
bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 23-1-2005 at 16:30 Reply With Quote
dunno about the two pairs thing, but I bought some 2mm blindstitched socks off ebay for 14.95 which are great for kitesurfing, have a look on there i'm fairly sure they have got a fair bit of stock.
cheers
tim

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 23-1-2005 at 21:26 Reply With Quote
I think i have a pair of 5mm (not sure though i will have to check) neoprene sox from Croyde Bay...they sell them at the little pink shop...i aint tried them in the winter, but in the spring at croyde when it was blowing a gale!
They are so warm!
I think the little pink shop makes them themselves specially, and they are pretty cheap. And the water that comes out of the boot at the end of the session is like a bath.
I have found some alder 5mm boots for you hear in size 10 for you to order in the link below:

http://www.littlepinkshop.com/erol.html

Just click wetsuit accessories.
Hope this helps.

Airborne.

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 24-1-2005 at 13:41 Reply With Quote
Never tried the 2 sock thing.......but you've got me thinking there!

My feet are usually like 2 lumps of cold meat at the end of a session this time of the year... (i've got 3mm socks), I just kinda taken it for granted that i won't be able to walk properly when I get out of the sea.

I'm gonna give the 2 sock thing a go... probably end up with cramp when I get my flippers over the top......but hey.....anythings got to be worth a go this time of year to keep the precious warmth in!

While we're on the subject of warmth.... I came across a surfer in the sea the other day wearing a swimming cap! He said he hated wearing the neoprene hoods as it covers his ears, but a swimming cap still keeps a lot of heat in!.. makes a lot of sense if you ask me, although it did look quite odd watching a surfer with a speedo cap on in January!

Wasn't summer great? I think it was on a Thursday!

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 24-1-2005 at 16:35 Reply With Quote
lol yes thodd, i agree with the cap thing.
i think the two sock thing would give me so much cramp, my fins dig in enough as it is! I think its time to invest in some new ones.
I love to keep warm though. It helps me stay in for so much longer. So much longer that it annoys my parents when they sit on the beach in the wind!
Even in the summer, West coest of France i wear full wetsuit (without arms) 3:4 i think it is. Gloves and wet boots.

Doh!!!
Grommet

Member #: 1009
Posts 6

Mood:

posted on 25-1-2005 at 07:29 Reply With Quote
I think I 'll have to give it a go to,I'm usually warm apart from the feet. I'll probably try something around 2mm. Where about are you feeling the cramp?. I have suffered cramp in calf but that was due to running first and not stretching. I do end up with pain accross top of feet behind toe joints after a long session. As for the hood its a necessity, my wetsuit suffers badly from flush through. I find wearing a neoprene hood and sleeves of suit tucked inside gloves stop this.
Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 25-1-2005 at 09:24 Reply With Quote
I think i'm just a freak when it comes to cramp! I think i'm the only person to get it in the arch of my foot!

I do get it in my calf every so often tho (mostly when I've just caught a huge wave, and it usually results in a tumbling wipeout of huge proportions!) But like you said, its because I forget to stretch off first!

Wasn't summer great? I think it was on a Thursday!

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 27-1-2005 at 18:29 Reply With Quote
I am known not to get cramp hardly ever...i dont even strech that much, if at all!
I dont get cramp in my ankle, calfs or arch of foot. Sometimes where my toes meet my feet i get it, but nothing major there. The most problem i have is when i wear my medium size fins...after 10 minutes i get aching on the sole of my foot where the edge of the fin stops to allow the muscley heel to touch the ground. (So in front of the heel). So i wear my brothers large size fins and its not as tight, so they are fine.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy