Author: Subject: Air Travel with Bodyboard
Doh!!!
Grommet

Member #: 1009
Posts 6

Mood:

posted on 26-1-2005 at 22:15 Reply With Quote
Air Travel with Bodyboard

After a couple of nights going through the holiday brochures, we've settled on Gran Canaria. So do I take my board or not? I know you're all thinking it would be stupid not to, but I remember waiting to reclaim suitcases last year.I seem to recall thinking to myself I'm glad I haven't got anything valuable with me, as bits of luggage went round on the caroulsel. There was even a pile of strips of carbon fibre which I'd guess started life as a fishing rod. If they can do that to a fishing rod I could end up taking my board home in a bottle.Any one had any experances of air travel with a foamie? Would travel insurance cover my board if baggage handler decides he aint getting paid enough? Could board be damaged in an unpresurised aircraft hold?
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 27-1-2005 at 18:42 Reply With Quote
hi Doh!

1) maybe the fishing rod been taken apart for easy package by the owner?

2)not sure about insurance, but i think that they would pay you for any damge or replacment needed, but dont hold me to that.

3)im sure a lot of people travel with foamies, i've definately seen surfers travel with their boards on a film, but it depends if that is the same case, material wise.

4) heres the answer to the cargo hold:

"I flew as a flight engineer on 747s and 727s for about 8 years. Cargo holds on modern jet aircraft are pressurized and heated just like the cabin is. The most pressure change you will experience is a rise in cabin altitude of approx 6000 feet or so. The cabin altitude is determined by the actual aircraft altitude and normally is in this range. This should not harm the cranks since most of the higher mountainous areas exceed this to begin with. I don't think you will have a problem."

Go here for this subject quote:

[url=http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/letters/may27c]http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/letters/may27c[/u rl]

If cranks on a bike dont have problems, then i think your bodyboard should take it.
Hope this helps.

Airborne.

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 28-1-2005 at 12:09 Reply With Quote
Hi there,

my house mate just came back from san sebastien where he bought himself a pretty basic BZ board.

Anyway, he only had one of those "sock" like material bags which it was in. he covered the board in his clothes and stuffed the bag tight.
It survived the flight fine, and he had no problems.

He also

Wasn't summer great? I think it was on a Thursday!

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 28-1-2005 at 12:13 Reply With Quote
oops didn't mean to click reply then!

Where was I..... Oh yeah.... he also took a Mountain bike over to Hawaii for his Cousin last month (over the Xmas period...very busy!!!!)
Again, this time with 3 airport changes to contend there was no problem and the bike arrived fine.

I think the problem is that you only ever hear about the problems that occur on flights and never about the thousands upon thousands of times that everything goes OK!

Wasn't summer great? I think it was on a Thursday!

Doh!!!
Grommet

Member #: 1009
Posts 6

Mood:

posted on 28-1-2005 at 17:29 Reply With Quote
I will ask advice from the airline involved, I might also post on the surfing page to see if any one there can enlighten me. Airborne, the fishing rod I reckon had been trashed by cargo handlers. I didn't realise cargo holds were presurised. Suppose decision will be down to if I can get insurance or assurance from airline that they will stand good for any damage done. Thanks
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 30-1-2005 at 22:26 Reply With Quote
No problem.

Nice job with the fishing rod then.

wez
Hot shot

Member #: 545
Posts 48

Mood: happy as larry

posted on 7-2-2005 at 20:06 Reply With Quote
no probs

i went to portugal a few months ago and i took my board in a nomal board bag and it was fine but when i go it back the bag was covered in oil ........ but the one thing that can f**k your board is all the golf clubs there chuck on top as the canary isl is a top golfing destination

stay stoked

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Art
Beach Bum

Member #: 1289
Posts 27

Mood: Very Chilled Out

posted on 9-4-2005 at 22:10 Reply With Quote
You could try and get a BZ padded Bodyboard bag,they are very good for protecting Bodyboards.

booger
Pro

Member #: 1324
Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 11-5-2005 at 03:41 Reply With Quote
BZ is shit get a padded mike stewart board bag or even better one of the massive NMD bags they will do the trick. if you are still worried as the other guy said chuck clothes or something in as padding for extra protection
batboard
Beach Bum

Member #: 1366
Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 11-6-2005 at 18:33 Reply With Quote
Bubble wrap is very handy if you have a basic bag, wrap the board in it and slide it in. No worries.
booger
Pro

Member #: 1324
Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 12-6-2005 at 08:09 Reply With Quote
if u are keen to die while travelling to bali/indo slip in 4.1kgs of weed into the boardbag or strap heroin to urself, fukin idiots, but i do feel sorry for shapelle corby who got 20 years for smuggling in weed which most likely was planted on her and the guy who kills 200 in a bombing cops 2 years jail soooo bullshit ey

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy