Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Windsurfing lessons at Cockerham Sands (Lancaster)?
Claire M

Member #: 1427
Posts 2

Mood: Working <:o(

posted on 5-8-2005 at 10:13 Reply With Quote
Windsurfing lessons at Cockerham Sands (Lancaster)?

Hello. My name's Claire and I've joined up for some info and help really. I moved to Cockerham Sands which is (as it sounds) right on the coast a few miles south of Lancaster just over a year ago. I've seen Windsurfers out a few times (according to this site it's only suitable during very high tides). I've been into the idea of windsurfing for a few years, but never tried it. Someone at work has offered me a sailboard for next to nothing, and I'm wondering if now is the time to get started!! Does anyone know if there is anyone in my area who can give some tuition, or indeed are you one of the people who windsurf at Cockerham Sands? Please get in touch. Ta, Claire
Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 10-8-2005 at 10:54 Reply With Quote
Hi Claire. Im the guy from this site who sails at Cockerham sands. Its my home spot for windsurfing as I only live a few miles away just North of Garstang.
I regulary sail at cockerham when I can. I last sailed there on New years day I think which was a crazy day.
Ive been absent from cockerham sands since then as im currently in New Zealand on a year out.
I pretty much taught myself to windsurf at cockerham sands a year or so ago with the help of some of the local windsurfers giving me tips on where I was going wrong.
Unfortunately, theres not real any schools in the local vicinity. I think the nearest place to learn is at a lake near Burnley or maybe across Morecambe bay at Barrow.
Before I sailed at Cockerham, I could vaguely carry out the basics of windsurfing but the local guys there helped me a lot and gave me loads of useful tips for advancing on, especially Phil, Jeff and Tony. There the regulars and are always there on a windy day and would be happy to give you some helpful advice.
If I was back home, I could help you myself but I probably wont be back home till March next year.

Another thing to mention is the difference between learning on new kit and old kit. I was poor so had no option but to learn on old kit which was pretty hard. I cant really speak as I never learned on new kit but pretty much everyone Ive spoke to says if youve got the money, buy some modern beginners kit and learn on that. It'l set you back quite a lot of money but if your real keen and determined, its worth the buy.

If your not very serious about windsurfing and want to go out very occasionaly in the summer time, it maybe worthwile buying the old sailboard and messing about for the day on that.
Hope this helps
All the best
Jonny

Claire M

Member #: 1427
Posts 2

Mood: Working <:o(

posted on 15-8-2005 at 13:29 Reply With Quote
Thanks

Hi Johnny

Thanks for the info! NZ - a little more exotic than Cockerham Sands - but I suppose you have to start somewhere!

C

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy