Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Diaries downloadable in CSV or summat
johnnyG

Member #: 3097
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 20-1-2007 at 23:19 Reply With Quote
Diaries downloadable in CSV or summat

First, I love the site, it's really got me keen to note what happens and really see how things change (hopefully improve!) over time.
How about providing sets of selected diary entries as downloadable CSV files? Then we could put them in a spreadsheet and do some additional stats for ourselves
Not sure about the best way to do that. Assume a row per diary entry, then the first few columns are obvious. Or make them selectable on the download page, then we could lose the description for example. You already have equipment type e.g. board, sail, available as a column heading - only prob is when someone uses two different boards in a session say. Could make that just a list in a single column, leaving it to the user to separate if required.

[Edited on 20-1-2007 by johnnyG]

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 21-1-2007 at 08:28 Reply With Quote
That should give me something t work on (when the wind stops blowing)... Producing a downloadable CSV file will be easy enough, the actual database query might be a little complicated as it will be getting details from about 5 different database tables, but I'll take a look into it at some point and see what I can do.

What 'additional stats' did you want to see? They may already be viewable online?

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

johnnyG

Member #: 3097
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 21-1-2007 at 21:55 Reply With Quote
Well, I'd like to be able to see what my most used gear was for example, or the most often sailed spot, in a time period, or against certain wind directions and stoke factors... and that's just a start! I reckon this kind of thing would be easy if it was all in a spreadsheet, but it's kind of scattered around as text here when displayed... There's lots of things one could play with if the data was handy, and it's hard to know what one's questions would be - typical user eh?
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-1-2007 at 07:28 Reply With Quote
OK.. When I get chance I'll look into it (I doubt that it will be this week though!).. You can see which kit you have used quite easily... At the top of the toybox page is a list of most used kit for each kit type.

To see which locations you've sailed most, go to the diaries, click on Stats and then select the year you want to look at and choose to sort them by location... At the moment there isn't a way to com[are this against wind direction or Stoke Factor and as you say everyone will want different things. A CSV file should allow you to do whatever you want with the data so I'll try to produce one soon.

Glad you are enjoying the site.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy