Author: Subject: Kitesurfing Turkey
Fart Boy
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1459
Posts 408

Mood:

posted on 31-1-2007 at 07:44 Reply With Quote
Kitesurfing Turkey

My family decided to look at holidays in the area of Antalya Turkey last night. Anyone know what the kiting is like round there.

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 31-1-2007 at 16:03 Reply With Quote
No, not Antalya but competed at Burc Beach near Istanbul on the Black sea a few years back, sand was flipping hot, water was super boardies warm and there were some flipping hot chicks around matey! Wind was a tad light

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 945
Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 31-1-2007 at 21:23 Reply With Quote
Depends what time of year. I have a house in Kas about 3 hours up the coast from Antalaya, in the early part of the season the wind tends to be fickle and coming off the land (very gusty). In the summer most wind in generated from termal convection and therfore steady onshores.

I have not kited down that way, although I would have thought that there would be some suitable beaches, although most a pebble beaches. Last summer I kited mostly at Calis Beach, Fethiye and it rocked (locals did say it had been one of the best years). There is a great windsurf/kitesurf centre, freindly with reasonable facilities which a free if you purchase drinks and food. Check this link out. http://www.fethiyesurfschool.com/

It was excellent although I was on my 17m strike most of the time, so take bigger kites. In between Fethiye and Kas there is an excellent beach called Patara and this is the dogs but the wind can get BIG, but the waters blue and a bit of surf too.

Holidays to the Fethiye region are cheap and getting around is cheap too. I'm going at Easter and then again in may hopefully with Andy B, in May deals at the moment 1 week B&B with flight from Man £107.

Turkey has great potential, and by next winter there will be a Ski resort an hour from Fethiye, so there could be potential to Snowboard one day and kitesurf the next.

Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 31-1-2007 at 21:43 Reply With Quote
Kitesurfing Fethiye, Calis beach August 06. The winds start at about midday and stop at 5pm....every day

Kitefish has attached this image:

Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 31-1-2007 at 21:48 Reply With Quote
The facilities, good storage, showers, wash down area, sunbeds, food, drink (waiter service to sunbed) all this kept Mrs Fish very happy. The staff at the centre can be a little pre occupied with kiting themselves and like to show off ( alittle dangerously at times). If you take kit that you want to sell, again you can get a good price from the local lads as they have no kite shops in Turkey.

Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 31-1-2007 at 21:51 Reply With Quote
Patara. The best location for my money in Turkey, but I never seem to get it bang on. You get big winds with surf. Speak to the Fethiye lads and they think this too, but you have to come with small kites 7 and even 5m efforts.

Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 31-1-2007 at 21:54 Reply With Quote
This is Patara Easter 06, it wasn't a good sesh wind was cross off and very gusty. This beach is 17km of sand ( I think the biggest sandy beach in Turkey) but early season there is no one here and no RNLI.

Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 31-1-2007 at 21:58 Reply With Quote
Finally. The locals love it when you kite we were invaded by this group of school kids at Patara, but it does show an awsome backdrop. In the summer this beach can get busy near the car parks. But walk a couple of hundred metres and you will always have space. Nuff said- as you can see I like Turkey

Fart Boy
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1459
Posts 408

Mood:

posted on 1-2-2007 at 20:24 Reply With Quote
Cheers kitefish

I'm heading there mid July as thats when the family want to go working around the kids, not all mine.

I thought I would be depending on thermals as I know its the same in cyprus and will def be taking my big strike.

May get some transport so we can travel freely a bit and find some great locations.

Thanks again

Mark

hallega

Member #: 4743
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 10-2-2007 at 15:33 Reply With Quote
windsurf/kitesurf patara

Just come back from patara, no one about yet. Thought it a great place to windsurf/kitsurf, but what about the turtles, is it allowed down the western end of the beach, we were informed no watersports, so what's the story. Is Fethiye good? Any information greatfully received, looking to buy in Kalkan if watersports are on, otherwise the hubby will keep going to Margharita, too far on a plane for me!
Kitefish
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 299

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2007 at 09:01 Reply With Quote
Hi

When on Patara you have to be aware that it is a protected Carreta carreta turtle nesting site and is internationally protected. Although it is clearly marked by a long row of posts, you must stay between those and the sea form May to October. I usually kite at the Eastern end, this is the most popular part for tourists and there are a few facilities at this end in season. Although most of the Turkish kiters that I know prefer the western end (15km away), which has a few beach cafes and is mainly frequented by the locals. Be carefull of the winds before May as they tend to come offshore, cross off or cross and these can be really gusty, in summer the wind is largely thermal and therfore on shore and it can be very very windy. Fethiye is very good, you need to go to Calis beach, take any dolmus (local minibus) to Calis to the very last stop (turnaround point) look down the beach to the right and you will see Fethiye Kitesurf Centre (check out the link in earlier post).
The coast at Kalkan to Kas is stunning but very few beaches and no where really to launch kites. This said there are plenty watersports, I would say more at Kas than Kalkan eg. kyaking, sailing and especially diving (there are 10 dive schools). If your thinking of buying a house have a look in Kas it has a slightly more cosmopolatain feel than Kalkan (cheaper too), in fact the Turks now call Kalkan Kalhampton or Kalkanshire due to it's expat community. That said it's nothing like Spain. We love Turkey and currently building a house in a small mountain village outside of Kas, ther is always plenty to do and see.

hallega

Member #: 4743
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 11-2-2007 at 13:35 Reply With Quote
kitesurf

Thank you so much for the information, it was really helpful, both hubby and son kite and windsurf, and if I keep them happy then I'm happy. I can see what you mean about Kalkan, although we liked it, we didn't have time to look at Kas unfortunately, we should have another look at the area. Love Turkey, clean, friendly, love the terrain, sunbathed in morning and played in the snow in the afternoon, Heaven, just wish the turks drove a little less franticly and said where they were heading before they actually did! Survived in tact.
kiteboardingcrazy
Pro

Member #: 707
Posts 119

Mood: Someone mention wind???

posted on 12-2-2007 at 16:08 Reply With Quote
Kitesurfing Turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looked at this post expecting to see a Bernard Mathews Turkey (without Bird flu)kiteboarding boosting big air..
id pay to watch that......lmao

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by kiteboardingcrazy]

kite-turkey
Grommet

Member #: 8233
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 9-4-2009 at 18:22 Reply With Quote
Kitesurfing in Turkey - Cesme, Alacati

One of the top locations for reliable wind and great riding is Alacati on the Cesme peninsular.

The meltem wind system kicks in late-April providing perfect winds throughout the summer and well into October. Great riding, great weather, great local scenery and lots to do...

check out our website for more information about Kitesurfing in Alacati http://www.kite-turkey.com />
[Edited on 9-4-2009 by kite-turkey]

Kite Turkey
Alacati, Turkey
http://www.kite-turkey.com

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy