Author: Subject: Which MTB?
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 23-7-2007 at 08:15 Reply With Quote
Which MTB?

Right, its about time I had a new toy and I'm thinking about getting a mountain bike. Trouble is I don't know much about them anymore.

I used to do loads (200-300 miles a week) of cycling and was really into it, but I haven't been on a bike for about 15 years and things have changed a lot in those years, so what should I be looking for?

I'll basically be using it in the hills around here (West Wales) so will need something fairly good that will allow me to get back into it again, but I don't want to have to spend too much on it.

Anyone got any suggestions and does anyone know a good place to get one from (other than eBay!)?

Cheers.
Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

danh
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1646
Posts 206

Mood: Need new toys

posted on 23-7-2007 at 09:33 Reply With Quote
Hey Al,

I know a great place to get one from. ME

I bought a Kona cinder cone this time last year which cost me £699 with the full intention of getting back into cross country racing but the purchase of the house has put a stop to that, so its up for sale cause i hate to see a good bike doing nothing. BArely used it apart from a 2 minute bike ride to work and back for a few months

Im guessing youd want a bike along those kinda lines, as full suspension bikes can be a pain in the arse if yuor riding up alot of hills as all your power input is absorbed by the rear shock.

Most bikes come with disk brakes these days even the cheaper ones. And most bikes are also 24speed so you wanna be looking out for that even if your only spending a few hundred quid.

Im sure someone will be able to give better advice though.

Dan

why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death?

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 23-7-2007 at 10:21 Reply With Quote
Yeah, thats probably the sort of thing I'm looking for as was actually one of the models I had my eye on anyway... How much do you want for yours?

Al.

danh
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1646
Posts 206

Mood: Need new toys

posted on 23-7-2007 at 13:06 Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONA-Cinder-Cone-2006_W0QQitemZ180141351935QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem />
Thats the link to my bike al, id take £350 for it if you were interested.

why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death?

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 23-7-2007 at 14:39 Reply With Quote
ooh a mtb !
depends on what you intend to ride !
if like me , which I belive you are you spend so much time hitting the surf that a mtb is for the turf when the wind aint blowing ?
so a x country flier aint gona be no good as you wont have the legs !!!
so go something a bit more hardcore , and ride some mad downhill stuff to give you a buzz .

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
nick-r
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1260
Posts 257

Mood: lazy

posted on 23-7-2007 at 15:32 Reply With Quote
my intention was to get a hard tail, until i test rode a full sus bike.
my advice would be not to make up your mind about wot you think you need until you've tried full suspension...even for normal riding/cross country.

look for hydraulic discs and suspension lock-off.

[Edited on 23-7-2007 by nick-r]

http://www.rcad.co.uk/borthsurf.html

Spooker
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 932
Posts 624

Mood: rattle dem bones

posted on 23-7-2007 at 16:52 Reply With Quote
Top advice Nick - much easier on the piles

You don't get any pedal induced bob on the good full sussers nowadays, in fact they're better at putting the power down on all but the smoothest surfaces.

Without a doubt the best advice is to try out both, what you intend to do on it and your budget may suddenly change!

REECEY
Pro

Member #: 2178
Posts 86

Mood: CARPE DIEM

posted on 23-7-2007 at 19:02 Reply With Quote
Full suspension is fine for mad down hill riding & you do need to spend a shed load more dosh for a half decent one. Disc brakes are desirable & again cheap one's are no better than STD brakes. Spend your money on a good rigid frame with strong wheels & good forks. Check out Chain Reaction Cycles. They do some mega online prices.
mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 23-7-2007 at 19:23 Reply With Quote
come on Al at your age and condition you should be looking for one with an engine! i certainly would!!!!!!!

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

REECEY
Pro

Member #: 2178
Posts 86

Mood: CARPE DIEM

posted on 23-7-2007 at 19:34 Reply With Quote
I'v got a Mille,but it don't get you fit.More fun tho'
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 23-7-2007 at 20:18 Reply With Quote
I hadn't been looking as full suspension models, but will do now... When I used to cycle they were nowhere near as efficient as a hard tail, but things have improved considerably since then I would imagine... Mind you, back then I didn't bother with front suspension either.

An engine would probably be a better idea, but half of the point is to try to get fit again... Although I guess it is a little more than optimistic to think I'd ever regain much of the cycling ability I used to have... I guess it will be time to admit that I'm not 21 anymore. One reason I want a MTB rather than simply getting out on one of my road bikes is that if I got on my road bike I'd be comparing my times to those I used to be able to do which would be a little demoralising.

I'm taking a look at the full suspension bikes now, but probably won't be able to afford one!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 24-7-2007 at 11:19 Reply With Quote
I think I better post as Ive kind of defected recently to Mountain biking

I not got really anything to add at as most of the other have said what I would of.

Have to point out Al it hurts more falling off a bike than it does a windsurf board

Its often worth looking into exdemo or hire bikes from some places* they have normaly been well maintained

*not sure if I would want an exhire or demo from say Glentress (proper rough big rocks) but somewhere like Rutland would be ok
Another think to look for is the previous years model

[Edited on 24-7-2007 by badexcuseforasailor]

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 24-7-2007 at 18:02 Reply With Quote
What are you going to use it for? If general riding with the odd trail and some road riding I'd look at getting a nice hardtail. If want to do more serious off road stuff at Coed Y Brenin or Nant yr Arian maybe think about a full susser.

Depends on budget; much under about £7-800 new wouldn't bother looking at a full susser as it will more than likely be quite heavy, above that with bikes like a Giant Trance or Specialized FSR/Stumpjumper then can get a good 4" or so travel bike that is still about 30 lbs so not too much hard work on the road/uphill

I think there is a test in this months MBUK of £500 FS bikes so maybe my views are a bit outdated...

EDIT here is one for £300 so maybe I am wrong!

http://www.mbuk.com/biketestdetails.asp?id=685 />
Konas are nice and I am a big fan but don't tend to get very good forks/components for your cash.

I think that Giant offer about the best bike for the cash with good quality frames and decent components.

The most important thing is fit though and between manufacturers there is quite a bit of difference so get a test ride if you can.

This XTC 4.5 is absolutely stunning value, hydraulic disc brakes, ok forks with lockout (so if using on the road can lock the forks out to prevent bobbing) and decent components on a very good frame all for £400 delivered to your door.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/details.aspx?id=7282 />
I test rode one at Rutland and was impressed.

Also the Decathlon own brand bikes look good value and get a lot of component for your cash, think there £600 bike has £300 worth of forks on it!

Can find some previous year models on offer here:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/ />
Or if you're going used and can give them a good look over try ebay or:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/list.php?f=5&menu=16

paul s
Hot shot

Member #: 537
Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 24-7-2007 at 18:54 Reply With Quote
For riding in your area I'd think full sus is a must if you want to really use the terrrain. I'm a bit like you, done loads of road riding/tri's but moved to offroad some years back after too many near misses with twats in cars. I started with a hardtail, but after riding a full sus in Vass immediately bought full sus and have never looked back. Two reasons for me - one is comfort for long rides (you want to feel tired not beaten up after a day in the saddle), the other is that you can keep the power on almost whatever is going on under your wheels.
We'll be over in Aberdovey next week, so if you see sails coming out from the beach it could be us. We'll also be out on the MTB's - Cadair calls (omg !). The best riding I've had over your way has been from the map rather than the riding centres.

[Edited on 24-7-2007 by paul s]

nick-r
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1260
Posts 257

Mood: lazy

posted on 24-7-2007 at 19:24 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul s
We'll also be out on the MTB's - Cadair calls (omg !). The best riding I've had over your way has been from the map rather than the riding centres.
[Edited on 24-7-2007 by paul s]

what day are you thinking of doing cadair....i want another go...

http://www.rcad.co.uk/borthsurf.html

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 24-7-2007 at 19:55 Reply With Quote
All this talk is getting me itching to get out there now.... I know the area and all the trails (and non-marked trails) pretty well, so I should have some fun once I get a bike.

Sounds like full suspension is the way to go, but now I have to convince my credit card of that.... i do still have a few contacts in the cycling world and have got my feelers out for a bargain. lets hope I can find something good at a rock bottom price!

Thanks for all the links Adam, there are some interesting options there... I can feel my budget rising already... Who needs food and clothes when you can have new toys!!

Al.

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 24-7-2007 at 20:09 Reply With Quote
go on you know it makes sense !
bikes like boards/sails ,
all the bargains are on last yrs or yrs before models .

forget the light weight crap , it only breaks ,its like taking pryde freeride sails out in big waves !

bikes like wave boards all the funs in the jumps ,doubles,tabletops yea bring it on !

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 24-7-2007 at 20:29 Reply With Quote
LOL.... And if I spend so much money on a bike that I can't afford to eat it'll help me loose weight even if I only leave it in the living room and drool over it!

Al.

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 25-7-2007 at 16:51 Reply With Quote
Aye if you're going to throw some money at it then agree go full suss otherwise (possibly with the exception of that cheap Decathlon) it'll be heavy and bouncy - poor suspension is actually worse than not having any in my opinion since it rebounds you so nastily!

If you go full suss then have to decide if you want a 4" travel XC bike or 5" Freeride...guessing you don't want more that of a dedicated downhill machine??!!

Spent my young days in the hills around Machynlleth on both push bikes and motorbikes and it is a fantastic area.

The now marked trails at Mach and Nant yr Arian didn't exist then (in fact a mate put some of Mach ones together) and Coed Y Brenin was just getting established.

Agree though sometimes nothing beats finding your own way and spending the day in the hills not even seeing anyone else! Just take a well stocked pack of spares!

Ain't many hills in Cambs so make do with Thetford or a drive to the Peak District, probably influenced why I went for a hardtail again as its better suited to round here...

Forgot my local shop were trying to flog me a Merida at a massive discounted price, can't remember which model or how much though...

Shame you can't use cycle to work scheme being self employed as its a good way of getting a cheap bike to use 'for work' [although why anyone needs a £1000 full susser to get to the office is a mystery ] Maybe you could get the VAT back if you class it as a business vehicle?!

paul s
Hot shot

Member #: 537
Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 25-7-2007 at 18:08 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick-r
what day are you thinking of doing cadair....i want another go...

Not sure, depends on the weather. My son is up over the weekend too and he's keen to have a crack at it, so maybe sat pm or sun am. Or we may end up walking it with the girls in tow
I'll try to post on here if we get a plan together, but may be incommunicado once we get to Aber.

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy