Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 25-3-2003 at 17:29 Reply With Quote
Easter Weekend Charmouth/Birdport

Hi everyone,

Al has already initiated a Borth Easter Weekend Happening. Unfortunately I will not be in Borth as we have got a trip planned to Charmouth/Bridport in Dorset. There is a camp ground on which we, that is my wife and 2 kids, will be staying in a rented static caravan.
Is anyone interested in meeting up there? How about you South Coast people who don't want to travel all the way to Mid Wales? Please let me know, maybe we can organize a nice barbeque or something in case we can't get too stoked from wind surfing....

Hope to see you there.

Joe

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 2-4-2003 at 19:29 Reply With Quote
sorry Jo, but this south coastie is off to Borth for most of the weekend, but if you initiatte another similar trip let me know as Charmouth/Bridport are a good distance from us (i.e far enough to be interesting for a weekend away, but no to far to make it hard work!)

Hope you have a good one#

SeanBo

Incidentaly, where are you planning on sailing?

Joe
Pro

Posts 76

posted on 3-4-2003 at 14:55 Reply With Quote
I have no idea where I am going to be sailing there. I have never been there yet. Can you give me a few good hints?
Thanks.

Joe

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 3-4-2003 at 21:55 Reply With Quote
Hmm, I guess it depends what you are after. I have only sailed at Poole, Portland and some spots on the Isle of Wight, all of which were flat(ish) water (I can??t do waves yet)

Bridport and Charmouth both face SSSW (same direction as the infamous Kimmeridge Bay, but they do not have a similar set of shallows/rocks to build up groundswell/waves.

If flat water is your thing, then Portland and Exmouth are the place to go, Charmouth being approx half way between the two. I can give you some info on Portland, but all I can tell you about Exmouth is that it is very tide dependant.

There is bound to be some spots to launch in and around Bridport and Charmouth, but I can??t say that there are any traditional windsurfing destinations.

Let me know if you need more info on Portland

SeanBo

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 4-4-2003 at 06:36 Reply With Quote
I've sailed Exmouth a couple of times and it can be OK... there can be some waves over the sandbank towards Dawlish. Portland is pretty much flat water and I've sailed there hundreds of times.

I've sailed from Lyme Regis once or twice which is right near where you'll be. Its OK for messing around but I didn't ever catch it with lots of wind.

The trourble elsewhere along that stretch of coastline is that the beaches are all very steeply shelving and as soon as theres is any wind it throws up a shortwave length swell which causes a nasty shorebreak, dumping right onto the pebbly beaches with waves in quick succession.

Also, the two best places, Portland and Exmouth, don't have the nicest of beaches for the kids. Portland doesn't really have a beach at all, Exmouth is OK I guess, but watch out for the currents if they want to go swimming. Lyme Regis could be OK for both the kids and wife... They can all go fossil hunting as well!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 4-4-2003 at 06:39 Reply With Quote
Ooops, Forgot to mention Overcombe in the far eastern corner of Weymouth. Its a bit further from Charmouth, but provides some good bump and jump conditions and even some 'proper' waves on ocassion. AND, if theres a proper wind and swell on the cards, then you'll just HAVE to take a trip to Kimmeridge. Real waves, breaking on the ledges with miles of space between them making wave-sailing much easier than here at Borth.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Joe
Pro

Posts 76

posted on 4-4-2003 at 15:45 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys. I'm after waves SeanBo, if they are not TOO big. The size they get at Borth on the better days is good even though I have seen a few days when I would not have dared going out.

I'll let you know what my findings were at Charmouth/Bridport. By the way I will be there again 1st of May until the 4th of May.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe
Pro

Posts 76

posted on 17-4-2003 at 15:41 Reply With Quote
Seems like Easter will bring nice weather but except for Saturday not much wind. Let's see what we are in for.

Wish you all a nice Easter!

Joe

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 21-4-2003 at 19:07 Reply With Quote
So how did it go. The wind was certainly there in Borth and I have good information that the South had similar.

Did you get a sail in?
Was it good?
Where did you go?

SeanBo

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy