Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Borth and Ynyslas Beach Cleaning.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 10-11-2008 at 06:52 Reply With Quote
Borth and Ynyslas Beach Cleaning.

As a follow-up to the recent posts here about litter on the beach to which quite a few people expressed an interest in doing a beach clean, There is some news as a group of volunteers has recently been formed to perform regular beach cleans on Borth and Ynyslas Beach.

quote:

In September there was a CCW organised clean of the Ynyslas Estuary and part of the Ynyslas beach front. In October a clean of the Borth end of the beach from the cliff to the first groin including the car park by the RNLI building was organised, and collected about 12 black bags of rubbish from that area. The plan is to alternate between Ynyslas and Borth and hopefully cover the whole beach over time :0)

The next session is planned for Sunday November 23rd at 11:00 am. We will meet at Ynyslas near the path through the golf course to the brick bunker (not at the golf course car park but further up towards the estuary). There should be plenty of space for parking cars along the road.

We will bring bin bags and some litter pickers and hoops for the bags - but if you have your own bags, pickers and/or hoops please bring them. Please also bring gloves as we don't have a supply of those.

Depending on numbers and interest we may adjourn to a cafe post beach clean for either lunch or a cuppa, as people choose.

Hoping to see lots of you there so that we can make a big difference to the beach

PS We are also hoping to erect signs at various access points to the beach asking people to take their litter home with them. Hopefully we'll get some involvement from Borth School in producing these - maybe after Christmas :0)

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-11-2008 at 08:43 Reply With Quote
I had a really bad cold over the weekend so didn't make it for the beach clean, (The wind was perfect too and I didn't go windsurfing so I must have been ill!). 7 others did tun up though and here's the report from Sarah:

quote:

Thank you to the 7 brave souls who turned up for the beach clean (Rachel, Martyn, Kirsten, Sian, Arthur, Dave and me). We picked up 9 bags of rubbish and assorted large plastic pieces - laundry baskets, buckets, crates. We also retrieved 45, yes 45, dog poo bags!!! Why would anyone bother to gather their dog poo into a bag and then leave it behind... The most bizarre thing I found was a toilet brush - why, oh why???.... I just give up.

Rachel Mills from Ceredigion council came along and told me that we can get bags/gloves from the council which she is going to arrange and she is also going to send us some info about becoming a Keel Wales Tidy group. So watch this space....

I know there are a lot of you who would have liked to join in yesterday but had other commitments - so, let me know which time is a good time for you - Saturday morning or afternoon, Sunday morning or afternoon, or maybe a weekday. Let me know your preferences and I will try to arrange sessions to suit people starting with one between now and Christmas - maybe we could all wear Santa hats ;0) wind permitting of course

Lets hope there will be a few more people next time too.
Al.

Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1919
Posts 382

Mood: all I need is everything...

posted on 27-11-2008 at 16:28 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,

The Borth Massif will be in grand attendance on the weekend of 6th/7th December so I am sure there will be some volunteers to assist if anything can be arranged for that weekend ?

Mark

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 2-12-2008 at 07:22 Reply With Quote
Next beach clean is Sat 20th December:

quote:

Well it is that time again when I am pestering you to come and join in on the next Borth and Ynyslas beach clean.

I have picked a date and time which will hopefully be more suitable than Sunday morning which was tricky for a lot of people: Saturday 20th December at 2pm.

This is just after the tide will have turned and also after some high tides in the middle of the week which might have brought some rubbish in.

We will meet opposite Borth Station and hopefully clean along the area of beach where the high wall/promenade is. Hopefully you all know where I mean - but if not, then please mail me.

We had a look along that area today and there is quite a lot of plastic there at the moment so it looks like a good section to attack.

We will bring bags but please bring your own gloves.

If you know someone else who might be interested please forward this on to them or tell them about it. It is worth doing as we managed to take a lot of plastic and other rubbish off the beach in the last two sessions.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy