Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Eating my words & swallowing pride... needs more ketchup....
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 16-5-2003 at 11:35 Reply With Quote
Eating my words & swallowing pride... needs more ketchup....

After all I said about learning to Kitesurf...

Following my crap learning experience in SA, I¥m considering picking up the strings again back in the UK. It¥s 300 pounds a week in Tarifa to hire kit!

I¥m thinking of getting my own stuff, probably brand new as I don¥t want a kite that¥s been bashed to buggery & has leaky bladders.

Requirements are:

-To pick up where I left off (up & going on a port tack but not starboard) but will not become obsolete to me within a few months.

-To kitesurf in those force 3-4 afternoon sea breezes on the S Coast (any more, than back on the windsurf board).

Once I look at the kite & board packages in the magazines I get really confused - some are 600 pounds, some are 1200. To add to the confusion, kite sizes are now explained by TWO sq m figures... which is which?

So what do people recommend size wise & kit wise for an advanced beginner/budding intermediate that I won¥t grow out of yet isn¥t too full-on to start?

As for board, what¥s the best kind of bi-directional?

And last but not least, the reason I¥m dropping light wind windsurfing is because the uphauling kills my back - does kite surfing have any records of causing back ache?

Cheers again,
Andrew

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 21-5-2003 at 06:35 Reply With Quote
Hi Andrew...

I'm still occasionally getting out kitesurfing in lighter winds, but have decided I need a twin-tip board. probably around 157cm in length. I'm would use that at the moment with an old 11m Wipika Free Air, but would really want somthing a bit more modern in the kite dept. and around 12.5m/15m in size.

You'd probably be after the same sort of thing. OK, the kite may be a little too big for most complete beginners, but as you'll be using it as a light-wind alternative to windsurfing then bigger is better.

I'm just talking to a guy about getting a Stonker board from Australia http://www.stonkerboards.com/. I'll ask him what sort of pirces he could do for you if you like. (He's just starting out as the UK retailer for Stonker)

As far as the back goes... I quite often find that kiting helps my back a bit and 'stretches' it out nicely!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

ste
Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 21-5-2003 at 10:05 Reply With Quote
Actually im thinking about doing the opposite and selling my kitesurf kit

The reason is that ive moved back to the coast (Tenby) and seem to getting plenty of windsurfing in which ive done for 10yrs and still really love and cant shake off (just bought a skate 100!).

However the main factor is that im gonna be a Daddy soon (!) - and realistically wont have the time/inclination to spend time learning something new when i can just pick up my trustee windsurfing stuff and have a sesh for a couple of hrs and then get back to parenthood (although i think i might regret this come the summer and all the wind drops!)

So i have the follwing available:

8.9m Wipika Freeair for sale (yellow & white ). As New - used 3 times - no scratches / repairs etc. Complete with 2 line and 4 line Wipika bar and lines, Wipi Video, How to RIP video, Boost video, bridle, bag, pump etc. Also Black Salamander 7' directional ideal for learning.

£500 for the lot

Bristol/ Bath / Tenby (07771 940 803)

Ste

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 24-5-2003 at 09:37 Reply With Quote
Hey STE, congrats on the Daddy thing, but I'm after a twin-tip and a bigger kite.

The Stonkers thing sounds good Al... we'll see once I'm back. I really need a 2-line to 4-line conversion lesson, so will try and negotiate that in when I buy the stuff.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy