Board logo

harness
sarge - 11-4-2006 at 19:13

hi guys,need some advice on which type of harness to buy as i am getting to that stage in myslow learning curve.should i buy a waist or seat harness.cheers

justal - 12-4-2006 at 06:06

That all depends on what type of sailing you wish to do. Seat harness for speed and slalom, waist harness for freestyle and waves.

To start with it won't make a huge difference. Waist harnesses may be slightly easier to get hooked in and out of, which might make the learning curve a little easier. Not sure which one will help you develop the best stance though?

Al.

AndyW - 12-4-2006 at 10:14

I'd go for the waist harness.

I still use a waist harness even with my 9.0m sail.

You see formula racers using both kinds. I used to have a seat harness but went off them once I tried a waist harness.

Make sure that it fits properly though.

Andy

sarge - 12-4-2006 at 17:09

thanks for the help.think i will go for a waist harnessas it might hold the beer gut in!!!!

badexcuseforasailor - 12-4-2006 at 17:16

If you got a big gut may be better with the seat sometimes its best to have something of a "waist" to wear the harness on
A waist harness is more flattering though!
Best thing to do is to try some on

jaimie072 - 19-6-2006 at 14:34

Da kine waist harness. I have one they are awesome. I also have a rare Da kine chest harness which is pretty good in the waves, but i just normally use my waist

mNeil - 19-6-2006 at 15:06

tried a waist harness for nearly an hour and had to go straight back to my seat; gave me real lower back pain from old injuries.....maybe something to bare in mind.

sarge - 19-6-2006 at 18:24

tried both last time out,found the seat harness to be well comfy compared to the waist but both were good for catapults.sailing along nicely then blam under water.must be heading in the right direction