Board logo

Where are the Rookies
J... - 12-7-2003 at 19:34

Ideal learning conditions today at one of the most ideal learning locations in he land.
But only about 2 learners out here at Portland ????
I have never seen it like it on such a perfect day.
A hell of a lot off totally overdressed bods queuing for the kite school mind.
Allot of very cheep nearly new kit come September me thinks.
J...

justal - 22-7-2003 at 19:58

Kite-surfing does seem to be the sport of the moment.... Theres almost always more people out kite-surfing here than there is windsurfing these days.

It does have its advantages over windsurfing though I suppose.... Its easier to learn, and easier to start doing impressive 'aerial' tricks. The kit is more transportable, you can easily fit a board across the back seats of a car, and get 3-4 kites in there, along with the family too!!! It also seems that one board and about 3 kites would usually suffice to cover most conditions. Whereas for windsurfing you need at least 3 boards and 5 sails to get you out in the same range of conditions.

Still, although I have a kite and have been kiting for quite a few years now, I still prefer to get out windsurfing whenever possible and hardly ever go kite-surfing... Mainly because I'm better at windsurfing than I am at kite-surfing, and up until a few days ago I didn't have a twin-tip kiteboard... I still need a more modern kite though, so I think windsurfing should remain my priority for a while yet.

Al.

Spencer - 23-7-2003 at 17:43

I only got back into windsurfing last year,my 1st sail was in portland,i expected the harbour to be packed but there was only a handfull out unlike the old days when i learnt the basics in the harbour when it was nigh on impossible to park in the huge car park & 150+ sailers on the water.Maybe cus kite surfing is easier & more accessible(Trendy??) people trying watersports are being guided into kiting?... I thought kiting was a light wind alternative to Windsurfing but having sailed many locations in the last 18 months it seems kiting is as popular as W-surfing,the closest ive come to kiting is when rescued a kite that was being blown off shore,kiter not attached obviously...any thoughts any1.

[Edited on 23-7-2003 by Spencer]

justal - 23-7-2003 at 20:12

I haven't been to Portland for about a year, but I can assure you it still gets busy there wioth windsurfers when theres some wind.

Kiting does seem more popular at the mo though, but it isn;t really a light wind alternative to windsurfing as you need just as much wind really.

Al.