Board logo

Borth Surf Contest
justal - 16-2-2003 at 17:06

Details are still a little sketchy at the mo, but it looks as though Borth should be getting its act together and having a decent surf contest sometime this year.

The eventwill be organised by Borth Surf Club and will be aimed at promoting the profile of the club and highlighting the positive aspects of surfing at all levels.

I won't give away too much yet, but it looks as though there could be some pretty BIG prizes up for grabs too (including the possibility of an amazing exotic surf trip as the main prize!!!). And don't worry, as far as I understand it the major prizes will be awarded through a prize draw rather than according to actual positions within the contest. So, all entrants will have a chance of winning whatever their level of surfing ability.

I'll let you know more details as soon as I know them.

Al.

justal - 9-7-2003 at 06:15

Right, the contest is set for 4-5 October 2003, with the following event classes:

Prizes include, surfboards, wetsuits and lots of other surf stuff donated by Stormriders surf shop in Aberystwyth, plus a spot prize (randonly drawn from all entries) of:

Airfare and 5 days accommodation in the surfing eco-tourism destination in Lombok's Ekas Bay. A perfect surf location, surrounded by many of Indonesias world-class breaks.
Donated by Artificial Surf Reefs Ltd (ASR)

Heres the entry form:

Stormrider - 9-7-2003 at 10:07

I know i am 42,but i dont see myself as a veteran.

Angry_Apple - 9-7-2003 at 14:45

Wow the contest is on my b-day! Kewl!
angry_apple
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *:-)

badexcuseforasailor - 10-7-2003 at 14:35

Can we turn up and just look the "part" by walking about in a wetsuit?

justal - 10-7-2003 at 20:53

Angry.... Are you gonna enter it then???

BEFS.... Yep, I think you might have to at least attempt to paddle ouy as well, but if you enter the comp, you have as good a chance as anyone else of winning the trip to Indo!!!

Al.

Dave - 7-9-2003 at 09:29

Where will it be based, near to the Lifeboat station I assume?

justal - 8-9-2003 at 05:46

I think thats the general plan, unless its absoultely perfect 3-4 foot peeling waves with an offshore wind, in which case the Golf Course Car Park or somewhere around mid-beach might be better.

Al.

justal - 2-10-2003 at 06:36

I found out yesterday from the 'Chairman' of the Borth Surf Club, that the competition has been cancelled because none of the memebrs of the surf club (which I have nothing to do with BTW) didn't bother to organise anything..

It was nice if them to let people know. I've just checked their website and they are still advertising the surf contest there (as well as still using some of my photos without having asked me!!!. Apparently the contest has been rescheduled for March, but I wouldn't count on it!!

If you were planning on coming to Borth this weekend for the contest, then come along anyway as there will be quite a few members of this site here playing on the beach, so there will be some people around.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 2-10-2003 at 13:59

We will have the pick of all the beach now though

Angry_Apple - 2-10-2003 at 19:55

Oh damn it! So for sure its cancelled, because people that I know really want to do it and so do i, its on my birthday too?!
Angry Apple.