Board logo

Just been and seen Cornwall (and it's surf)
Airborne - 11-10-2003 at 17:47

My first time down in Cornwall and i didn't get to bdyboard! Well, i was on a school art trip so what do you expect!
Typical, we were doing sand sculptures on the beach, the surf was wicked and i couldn't go in. Talk about rubbing it in!

Can anyone help me remember what beach i went to. It is one word and begins with "Port..." or "Porth" (I think?)

Could you send me a web page link or something for Cornwall's beaches?

Cheers in advance, Airborne.

Wolfman - 11-10-2003 at 17:57

Cool haven't been to Cornwall for ages There's loads of Porth's in Cornwall - it means beach or cove so.... I've been diving in Porthleven but not really a surfing venue I think Porthowan? Peranporth?Porthcothan?Portreath? Was it North or South?
The BBC seem to have good links for most places
www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/surfing/index.shtml

justal - 11-10-2003 at 19:37

Wolfman.... I think you'll find that Porthleven is probably THE best surf break in the UK on its day. It doesn't work that often, and is usually small, crowded and gutless, but when there a big swell from way down in the Atlantic along with a light offshore (NE) breeze, the place can be firing! Its one of those spots that doesn't work that often, but that most hardcore surfers in Cornwall will be keeping an eye on for when the conditions come together. When they do, its a prety gnarly place to surf with big right hand barrels up to 12 foot (some say they've seen it at 15 foot!).

Luckily for you I also have a photo of it...see below (its not my photo, and I can't remember where it came from, but it is nice!).. Quite a few people rant on about Porhleven not being all its cracked up to be as far as the surf goes. Usually it isn't, but the photo speaks for itself...sometimes it is!!!

We do need more info than just 'Porth something' though Airborne!!

Al.

Angry_Apple - 12-10-2003 at 21:21

Oh poor you airborne! I go to Tintagel(south of bude) and drive down to remote places near New Quay when I go(usually summer) when the surf near to us has flat as a pancake...

SinistaPenguin - 13-10-2003 at 16:20

Airbourne, there are more breaks round Newquay than I care to mention, one of my personal favourites though is Sennen Cove.

It's about a mile from Land's End (35 mins from Newquay) and is just a beautiful place to surf. The first time I went there, the sun was starting to go down after a 4 hour session and I was sitting waiting for waves. Looking out to sea 2 dolphins swam past.

It was awesome - 3-4 feet and super-clean, sun going down, crystal clear water and friendly marine life enjoying the swell. Definitely my 'all time best session'.

Check out the web cam at:

http://www.a1surf.com/surfcheck-sennencam.html />
It doesn't do justice to how beautiful the beach is though

SinistaPenguin - 13-10-2003 at 16:25

Here's some pics that do it more justice.

For breaks around the country, check out
www.beachwizard.com - or the beach guide on this site, which is also very good

or rather:

Airborne - 13-10-2003 at 19:17

Thanks for all your replies people!
All the pictures are great!
I found out what beach i went to and it's in St Ives.
The name of the beach is:- Porthmeor Beach, and it is right in front of the Tate Gallery (i don't know if any of you have heard of it?).

It's quite a small beach and i was suprised to see quite a few surfers in the water (even on a weekday!).
I thought it looked quite good for bodyboarding.
Here's a picky. I must have gone on a really big day because this is the best picture i could find of Porthmeor with waves on it!
Can anyone else find a good picture...I'm stunned actually. I'm sure the waves were about at least 5 foot and quite rough!

[Edited on 13-10-2003 by Airborne]