Board logo

Winsurfing on TV
justal - 20-1-2004 at 07:16

Did anyone see the windsurfing on ITV last night then??

I didn't and I forgot to record it as well!!

Was it any good... If so, maybe we should all e-mail ITV to tell them how much we enjoyed it. You never know, if they receive a few e-mails about it they might consider putting windsurfing on the box a little more often.

Al.

bphiett - 20-1-2004 at 08:49

to be honest, it was pretty weak and didn't make good viewing.

It must be unbelievably difficult to sail in conditions like that though.

Thodd - 20-1-2004 at 09:36

I managed to catch a bit of it before I fell asleep. They seemed to show more of people falling off the ramp than those who actually made it!

bphiett - 20-1-2004 at 09:45

the only good bits were old footage of bercy that they spliced in to make it look a bit more exciting.

adrian - 21-1-2004 at 18:00

I was at Excel on Sunday when they held the UKWA v PWA competition, and it was good, but it was lacking something that Bercy has/had (I went to Bercy 10 yrs ago). I think the crowd were more vocal in France, and there was a better atmosphere. Brian Talma tried very hard to get the crowd going, with a bit of success.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I went, and will be going again next year. Rik (from Rik's Windsurfing) told me that next year they are planning on doubling the length of the pool to 100m.

I recorded the footage on ITV and watched it last night. I think it was pretty representative of what happened at the event. A lot of the competitors struggled with the wind fromthe fans, and only about 40% of attempts at freestyle tricks were actually pulled off.

It is a shame that there is so little Windsurfing on TV, and then when it is, it's on at 0:40am!!! But I am grateful to ITV for making the effort. I just wish this was the start of more coverage, although, I somehow doubt it will be.

Adrian

MartinF - 22-1-2004 at 09:54

I was setting up my VCR to record it & found that it chewed up every tape I put in there. So I just had to stay up & watch it.

As bphiett says - it was pretty weak. You didn't miss much.

justal - 25-1-2004 at 14:53

Well...although no one seems to think it was any good... it looks as though it will be on again today BBC2, at 4.35pm.

Al.