Board logo

New Boards
justal - 2-4-2004 at 06:43

I might soon be after some new boards. I think I need a:

I can't afford new, so it will have to be second hand. I've seen a 2002 Mistral Razor (250cm 75 ltr) for £329. The tests sound good, has anyone had first hand experience of one??

I've also seen a tempting looking Mistral Switch (259cmx56cmx87 ltr) for £299 but can't find a test on this board. has anyone got a test of it? Has anyone tried one??

Cheers.
Al.

preacherman - 2-4-2004 at 08:23

Al,
Thanks for your advice on the previous thread, I was worried that the Cross 100 would feel to big after mainly using a 90ltr board, maybe I should reconsider.

Anyway, from the homework I've been doing on boards, it looks like the Switch is a bit of a dated design, even for 2002 when it was released, so although I've heard some good things said about it from people who own one, it hasn't been a big seller because it goes against the short/wide trend of late. I reckon at that price you can't go wrong anyway.

adam - 2-4-2004 at 08:45

quote:
Originally posted by preacherman
it hasn't been a big seller because it goes against the short/wide trend of late.

That's Mistral for you though they don't tend to jump on the bandwagon very early across the range when it comes to new designs, like teardrops and now tubby boards.

Is there not still some worth in a more conventional shape in this size of 80ish litres that will be used on the sea a lot?

preacherman - 2-4-2004 at 09:35

agree with you Adam.

Al, why are you looking to chop in your 100?

Wes - 2-4-2004 at 11:17

Ahhh, I know the answer to that one. Don't make Al an offer on it!

preacherman - 2-4-2004 at 11:29

No danger of that. I'd already clocked that Al is pretty heavy on his kit! But thanks for the tip-off.

badexcuseforasailor - 2-4-2004 at 14:47

Im not sure if Al is heavy on kit I think its more "over use"

justal - 2-4-2004 at 14:57

LOL.... My Cross 100 is a little worse for wear. It's still sailable and doesn't seem to be taking on any water, but is a 'little' spongy on the deck between the pads.

Not sure what I'll do with it once I get a new one though.

Al.

Shaka - 2-4-2004 at 15:26

have you thought about a JP FSW? - the 85ltr ish one. from 2001 seem to get good write ups. The onlu issue is people have mentioned they can be delicate - (not come accross it myself).

Its a massive market and very bewildering with all these freemoves, freerides, freewaves, freestyle, freesex (wish)

justal - 2-4-2004 at 15:32

The good news is that the boards they will be replacing are all pretty old and wrecked, so anything will be an improvement.

I'm basically open to suggestions on any boards that I can get for a decent price.

I've just been on the phone and could get a 103 (or 113ltr) Max2Air, along with the two Mistrals mentioned above for £950 incl. postage.... A lot of money, but it would mean three new (to me) boards!!!

I'm sure the Razor would be OK, like Adam says about the Switch, it may be an older style design, but it worked then and as its replacing an old plastic Hifly 265, it has to be quite a lot better than that! I've had a Max2Air before, but it didn't last long. Hopefully that was just a one off though.

I'll do a bit more shopping around, there must be some bargains out there somewhere??

Al.

Spencer - 2-4-2004 at 15:45

I sailed a Switch when they came out.Felt flowish but a bit looser in the water than the flow.Keep an eye on E-bay there was a 2002 F2 wave last nite for £250...

justal - 6-4-2004 at 06:41

Looking at maybe getting an 83 litre AHD Maui Force (I think its the 8'4") to replace my aged Hifly 265. I don't know a lot about them though, and the Tests at Surfstore seem to have merged with 'Windsurf' Magazine and there aren't many!

Anyone know anything about them??

Al.

Hans@BW - 10-5-2004 at 20:38

Al,

Are you still looking for all these boards?

Hans.

justal - 10-5-2004 at 20:45

Yep..... and the money to pay for them!!!

Al.

Hans@BW - 10-5-2004 at 20:50

Got ya!

Forecast is still looking crap! But still got the Max2Air at my place...

Hans.

justal - 10-5-2004 at 20:52

Cool... Now all we need is the wind.

Al.

kelvin - 11-5-2004 at 14:12

al mate had to ahd powerwave and loved it , now has the ahdmuai but the smaller one , finds it a bit to lively but it depends on your sailing style.
addds in this months boards for both boards at £399 new in solent sailboards ,
andy biggs also has a bic tribal new for similar money if you want a bit more durability dont know how they perform though.

adam - 11-5-2004 at 15:10

quote:
Originally posted by justal
Yep..... and the money to pay for them!!!

Al.

Lol aren't we all

Hoping to get back in the water again soon, been well slack just been kiting all winter and spring so the warmish weather may tempt me back, bet Brogborough is bloody freezing though, time to dust my windsurfing kit off; last time I went out was November

At least I was always pretty crap so can't have got much worse

badexcuseforasailor - 11-5-2004 at 19:23

The water at Brog is almost tropical now, can leave the rash vest off from under the winter suit