Board logo

Don't get your hopes up, but.....
Hans@BW - 22-5-2004 at 06:24

Has anyone seen the low that is coming across the Atlantic.... should be here Wednesday / Friday.... oh God I know it's a bloody long shot, but I'm excited!

Anyone else desparate for a fix?

justal - 22-5-2004 at 06:53

I am!!!

But your gonna hate the fact that you didn't get here yesterday or Thursday.... Lovely steady 20 knot winds (a little more at times) and sunshine. No waves to play with though, but it was perect blasting weather.

Lets hope for the same on Thurs/Fri this week?

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 22-5-2004 at 20:55

Let keep our fingers crossed I can sail after work this week too
Get ready for a big day next Sunday Ive been conned into going out for Sunday lunch.........Thats a certain force 6 +

Harry - 23-5-2004 at 12:05

That low is definitely there, and it's a bit of a beast as well. Check out the synoptic chart for early Wednesday.

But (the normally optimistic) Windguru isn't showing any 's for the south coast for the coming week

Maybe the fat high sitting over us is going to knock it off course? Probably too early to say what will happen yet. But here's hoping.

http://www.seaspritesports.com/ukobs6.htm

paul s - 23-5-2004 at 21:32

Well the http://www.ecmwf.int/ forecast shows the low doesn't get through. They've been wrong though !

Hans@BW - 24-5-2004 at 04:04

Paul and all,

Check out the latest chart:

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/deterministic/world/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!120!Europe!12!pop!od!oper!p ublic_plots!latest!/

Looks like the DOGZ to me.....

Keep every thing crossed - I got Friday booked off, and trying to wangle Saturday.... what about you lot many going to be there...???

Hans.

Hans@BW - 24-5-2004 at 04:09

Sorry the link doesn't work try:

www.ecmwf.int

Then under Deterministic medium-range forecast charts:

'Free Access' - (in the top middle section of the Home page)

Select Friday - (in the left hand column)

OOOOOooooohhhhhhwwwwwaaaaahhhHHHHH!!!

Twitching......

Hans.

justal - 24-5-2004 at 05:39

No doubt it will be perfect as I have to be in Bristol so that Anna can try on wedding dresses!

Al.

kelvin - 24-5-2004 at 07:42

hope it holds off to sat in Spain on hols , no wind here either.

paul s - 24-5-2004 at 08:12

Yep, the forecast has improved from yesterday. Like Al, I'm in big trouble with a 3-way family birthday party this weekend. So long as we get a blast on Friday I may just survive...

ajdesq - 24-5-2004 at 09:05

I'm on the road this week so appreciate all the updates peeps, keep 'em coming. Looks like MTBing to start with, then if this low makes it I'll see y'all at Borth Thurs-Sat.

justal - 24-5-2004 at 18:45

AJDESQ.... I'm pretty busy with work this week, but may be able to fit in a sail on Friday at some point.... maybe the odd kite-mt-boarding session in the evening as well... Its not looking that good until Sunday/ Mopnday now... Although Friday looks OK for kitesurfing.

Al.

Hans@BW - 25-5-2004 at 04:41

So I'll be seeing a few of you in Wales on Friday then???

Who's going.....?

Al - I'll bring the '03 Max2Air for ya...

Hans.

kelvin - 25-5-2004 at 08:42

Wales? its boot sale weekend . so looks like heading to hayling for sat,sun save some money on them robbing shop prices (sorry hans ) .

AndyW - 25-5-2004 at 11:32

I hope that forecast for Sunday/Monday doesn't drop off...

I haven't been in the water since 14th April :-(

Just in case I've booked Tuesday and wednesday off too :-)

AndyW

justal - 25-5-2004 at 17:50

The wind is looking good Fri, Sat, Sun. Mon, Tues at the moment!!!

Hans... Will you be here on Monday as well?

Al.

rob - 25-5-2004 at 17:52

friday onwards... bloody typical, i won't be anywhere near the beach! hopefully there'll be chance to have a boarding session at cosford. the grass wont be quite so soft to fall on than the sand though.. have to take it easy!! i was hoping to have another body surfing session before the term was out!

ajdesq - 25-5-2004 at 21:17

I had to have a titter at this preamble on the Metcheck.com website today. I do like honesty!

"Sometimes, us forecasters just have to throw our hands up in a situation and say 'We really don't know what's going to happen'
It's not the fact that we're stupid or just want an extended lunch hour in the pub, but every so often the computer models which we use give us no clues whatsoever as to how the weather is likely to unfold over the next few days.

Of course, we're talking about this coming Bank Holiday Weekend, the models are to-ing and fro-ing with regards to the placement and intensity of the low pressure, not by just 100 or so miles, but in some cases over 2,000 miles between each ensemble run."

In other words, they haven't a clue!

Hans@BW - 26-5-2004 at 05:37

Kelvin,

No worries mate!

Hope you can find what your looking for - otherwise give me - 'the robbing shop'! a call ;-).

Hans.

Hans@BW - 26-5-2004 at 05:40

Al,

If the forecast is good I will be there Fri - back to the shop for Sat (booo) then back down Sun & Mon!

Hans.

justal - 26-5-2004 at 05:57

Cool, I might manage a session on Friday at some point, and hopefully on Monday too, but won't be on the beach Sat & Sun.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 27-5-2004 at 20:48

OK just looked at the weather nothing forcast for the weekend.......where did that big low pressure go?

justal - 27-5-2004 at 21:08

I think Michael Fish has been playing with his magic set and made it disappear!!

Al.

Hans@BW - 27-5-2004 at 22:15

Al,

I have been asked to go into work tomorrow - loads of stuff to sort out for customers before the bank holiday.... but am having tuesday off instead so will be down for Monday and Tuesday hopefully - ready for supposed wind. It really does seems to be all over the place at the moment.

Hans.

justal - 28-5-2004 at 05:57

At the moment Tuesday is actually looking like the best day.... but its still a long way off, so it could have disappeared by then of course.

Al.

Hans@BW - 28-5-2004 at 21:34

Al,

Don't say that mate...... really need a sail in some salty water - feel like I'm turning into pond life been going to the local lake so much recently....

Hans.

justal - 29-5-2004 at 05:59

Tuesday is still looking good, but I shall have to be back at work by then.... Should be able to get out in the afternoon though.

Weekend isn't looking great, but it should be pretty good for kiting today.

Al.

Hans@BW - 31-5-2004 at 20:54

Al,

I have been asked to go in tomorrow... boo!

Still forecast seems to have gone anyway....

I had a wobble at the puddle today - nothing to put in the diary though. Spent most of the afternoon rigging my new Rushwind sails - all looking rather cool..!

I now have Friday off instead of tomorrow... any views on the forecast for then...?

Hans.

justal - 1-6-2004 at 05:42

Not looking as though there is any substantial wind on the horizon... But they are always wrong the other way around, so who knows!!

Al.