Board logo

application for wipeout of the year award
griptool - 20-11-2004 at 13:46

Wednesday morning saw classic conditions at weston with 25k onshore wind and logo high chop.

I spent about 45 minutes trying to get out back on a 4.7, when out there I was well overpowered.

First jump went really well felt like about 10 - 15 foot high, twenty seconds later an even bigger ramp presented itself, sequence of events went as follows;

I'm havin this one, sheet in full speed, back leg straight

whoooa

bugger this is high (panic sets in)

shit that hurt bad

I failed to land the jump cleanly and knew instantly that I had shagged my knee, (looks like a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, waiting for MRI to confirm)

Anyone have any experiance of this type of injury?

justal - 20-11-2004 at 16:52

Yeap.... I tore mine a few years back in pretty much the same way. It took a while to regain its full strength, but I went on holiday to Iclenad a couple of days after tearing it and wandered around on glaciers etc for a few days before actually going to the hospital about it (Didn't want them to stop me from going on holiday).

I ended up hobbling for a few weeks but soon got back on the water albeit gently to start with.

Hope yours isn't as bad as it feeld at the mo and heals quickly.

Al.

paul s - 20-11-2004 at 16:53

Sorry to hear about this. I am finally almost recovered from an ankle trashing 5 months ago, and suffering with cartilage damage to the knee in the other leg. There's a lot of info at http://www.physioroom.com/ that I have found quite useful - but can be a bit depressing when it starts on about recovery times.
Dunk wrecked his knee a few years ago, but I don't know what the injury was. Seem to remember him sailing strapped up for quite a while.

Thodd - 22-11-2004 at 16:07

I got dumped on the beach in a 6ft high wave a couple of weeks ago. It forced me head first into the sand and everything went black for a couple of seconds. Left me with an attractive lump on my bonce for a bit!!

Does that count?

dunk - 24-11-2004 at 13:56

Yep ,

I wrecked my medial ligament a few years ago, The most painfull thing I've ever done! I had the longest swim of my life in mast high surf at Towyn. I was out for six months, then still sailed with a brace for about a year.

Lets hope its not the anterior cruciate ligament , a dinhgy sailor friend of mine has just had his rebuilt after countless opps, he's been out for about 4 yrs!

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunkster

griptool - 25-11-2004 at 11:21

Dunk Said
"Lets hope its not the anterior cruciate ligament , a dinhgy sailor friend of mine has just had his rebuilt after countless opps, he's been out for about 4 yrs!"

Thats what the quack diagnosed, I hope shes wrong as the four years bit sound like bad news.

Dave - 29-11-2004 at 17:49

Just reading this 'cos my left knee is giving me hell today
It was sore before I went to Dahab, and very sore when I got back; but it really hurts today.
I don't like the feel of it and I don't really want to face up to the fact that I'm going to have to put my feet up for a while. At least it is winter and cold out there.
I guess I'll have to visit the quack.