Board logo

BOARDWISE DEMO UPDATE
Hans@BW - 27-9-2005 at 09:50

Hi all,

A post just to remind you of our Board and Sail demo at Borth this Sat and Sun (1st & 2nd of October).

All the UK importers will be there with their new 2006 toys for you to have a go on....

BOARDS
BIC, F2, Fanatic, Mistral, JP, Starboard & Tabou.

SAILS
Gaastra, North, Tushingham, Arrows, Neil Pryde & Severne.

SPECIAL GUEST.... Dave White aka Production World Speed Champion will be there to give you tips on going fast and will be taking photos which you will be able to see on his website, www.63pix.com after the event.

The forecast is looking MEGA for Saturday, check out the link below:

Weather_Map

If you have any questions give Ian, Doug Al or Hans a call at the shop 01543 505084 or check out our website:

Boardwise

We hope to see you all there,

Ian & Doug.

Tim - 27-9-2005 at 13:26

Hi guys. Which JP boards do you think you will have? I want to try the new SLALOM JP.

Tim

paul - 27-9-2005 at 13:39

I sailed the JP Slalom 114 in the summer with a 7.5 and an 8m twin cam, the board goes really well, think it needs to be really powered up to get the best from it. it's certainly a fast board and flys through the lulls. Not convinced any board is worth nearly £1200 though !

Nick - 27-9-2005 at 14:52

Any chance you could bring the 2005 xcite ride 105 FWS you're listing as one of your new board deals? I could be tempted to swoop on the spot! I'd be looking to part ex a Mistral Custom Flow 276 '00 which I'll be bringing anyway.

Cheers

Nick

AndyW - 28-9-2005 at 08:08

Nick,

The importers bring the kit to the demo. I think you might need to make a visit to the shop after the event. Having said that Boardwise might bring their own demo van also....

Hans@BW - 29-9-2005 at 11:50

Nick,

It would be better for us to send the board to you as any new board that is at the demo will probably be opened and used which I am sure that you wouldn't want... We can take a look at your Mistral while we are there and sort out the deal and then post it to you next week - hope this helps.

Hans.

Hans@BW - 29-9-2005 at 12:45

All,

The JP boards which will be at the demo are as follows:

Xcite 135
Xcite 120
Xcite 95
Freestyle Wave 102
Real World Wave 91
SuperX 106
Radical Wave 79

Plenty to go around I am sure....

Hans.

paul - 29-9-2005 at 15:45

that'll be the same ultrasport van that was here in cornwall last weekend then <lol>

I sailed the FSW 102, pretty nice, felt much bigger than my 100l naish quest, much different but a peace to gybe. The RWW 91 was very popular on the waves though.

justal - 29-9-2005 at 16:09

I'm hoping for light winds on Sunday so that I can try the Tabou Manta 75... I've never really sailed with anything bigger than a 6.5m sail so I want to try out one of these new lightweight speed machines with an 8.5m sail and see just how early I can get planing on it and just how exciting a ride it really is.

Of course, I'm hoping for the 20+ knots forecast for Saturday so that I can play with some smaller toys too!

Al.

Hans@BW - 30-9-2005 at 14:02

Still looking good.... ;-)

justal - 30-9-2005 at 22:12

Its blowing a hoolie here at the moment!!! Lets hope it holds til tomorrow.

Al.

justal - 1-10-2005 at 06:01

Just an update for those of you who are still undecided. Its 7am, just getting light and the wind has been blowing at around 25 knots since 6pm last night and is still doing so... WNW, swinging NW later..... It could get messy out there!!

Al.

justal - 3-10-2005 at 06:04

quote:
Originally posted by justal
I'm hoping for light winds on Sunday so that I can try the Tabou Manta 75... I've never really sailed with anything bigger than a 6.5m sail so I want to try out one of these new lightweight speed machines with an 8.5m sail and see just how early I can get planing on it and just how exciting a ride it really is.

Of course, I'm hoping for the 20+ knots forecast for Saturday so that I can play with some smaller toys too!

Al.

Well, despite what I thought were ideal conditions for the Tabou Manta 75 on Sunday I didn't get to try it out as the guy in charge of them was pretty reluctant to let anyone use them. I did ask him a few times and told him I was thinking of getting one, but he said the conditions were too rough for it and the board was too fragile so he didn't recommend it for coastal sailing so told me to go out on one of the Rocket Airs instead.
As far as I was concerned it was dead flat and calm so I'm sure it would have been OK, but I'm now a little dubious as to whether such a board would be any good for me.... Looks like I won't be spending any of my hard earned cash after all, so maybe he did me a favour... You didn't happen to speak to him before I got there did you Anna??

A good weekend though. Saturday was epic, with perfect WNW winds at 25 knots which eased off a little in the afternoon, Sunday was OK for a while. I had a go on the Rocket Air 61 (105 ltrs) which felt OK but did feel big. I also had a go on a JP Excite Ride 120 which I wasn't too keen on as it felt HUGE and therefore fairly unresponsive. The last time I sailed anything that size was my Bic Astro Rock and I'm sure that didn't feel that big... But maybe I had been spoilt with a full day on my little wave board the day before.

Hope everyone else had a good time.. I think the Angulo wave boards were liked by pretty much everyone who had a go on them??

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 3-10-2005 at 07:53

Looks like everyone had a good time. Have to ask did anyone break any demo kit?

Tim - 3-10-2005 at 09:38

Mark (Windoworld) apparently broke 2 booms and a sail. Whitey broke a boom early on Saturday. Phil broke a UJ in the surf. I trashed my own 6.3 on Friday, I saw another bloke's own sail completely de-clewed in the panel.... Perhaps there's more tales .....

kelvin - 3-10-2005 at 10:31

ha thats a laugh , a dealer telling u a boards to fragile to use!
so pay a grand for it , and keep it in the garage to use on dead calm lake sailing days !

mNeil - 3-10-2005 at 10:57

glad to see you guys all had a good weekend.
we had rather a good time also.

AndyW - 3-10-2005 at 11:45

I didn't break anything, my insurers will be pleased, for a change ;-)

Johmo - 3-10-2005 at 12:42

Yes, a good day (Saturday) - and now I know I need more practice at the coast.

Incidentally, what was the chocolate brown scum that was washing down the beach? Is that there all the time? I was a bit concerned, particularly as I spent so much time swimming in it, but no ill effects so far thankfully.

justal - 3-10-2005 at 13:39

Don't panic Johmo, it was just peat washed down the river by the weeks heavy rains... It isn't there all the time, but definitely had a peaty smell about it, and even further out to sea the water smelled like fresh water rather than saltwater..It didn't even taste as salty as usual....

I'm sure it was fairly harmless runoff from the mountains.

Al.

AndyW - 3-10-2005 at 13:40

Johmo,

It was peat so don't worry. It happens occasionally but its harmless.

That's the good thing about sailing at the coast, whatever standard you happen to be at you still need more practice. NW is a good direction to get used to sailing Borth as the SW'ly can get a bit mean. Good fun though.

AndyW - 3-10-2005 at 13:41

Hi Al, working hard?