Board logo

Borth next week
alistair - 1-3-2013 at 19:48

I'm in Aberystwyth for the week from tomorrow and hoping to windsurf. Is anyone likely to be sailing and where would be best? Currently Thursday looks most promising but that can easily change.
I'm hoping the windsurfing is generally good there as we're planning to move to Aber but I've only once got wind despite visiting each year for the last 7 or 8.

justal - 2-3-2013 at 07:15

I'll be around Alistair and will be up for sailing... If there's wind then the best place to sail is Ynyslas end of Borth... Although at the moment the wind isn't looking great for next week.

We can sail here in any wind direction but Southerlies and SE's are probably the most fickle of winds and that's what we have forecast for most of next week. SE's can be really good with some lovely cross-offshore down-the-line wave-riding to be had but you really need a proper blow for that and at the moment there isn't really much wind forecast.

I can't believe you have been here for the past 7-8 years and not had any wind... It's one of the windiest places I know which is exactly why I built a house here. It sounds as though you are a jinx - maybe we don't want you moving here!

Al.

alistair - 3-3-2013 at 20:09

Some times I've had good wind or surf elsewhere in Wales before visiting friends here so I don't think I'm jinxing the wind. I can always buy a big sail if necessary to ensure it blows a gale.

justal - 3-3-2013 at 20:10

Haha, now there's plan!

Al.

justal - 5-3-2013 at 09:33

Did you get out yesterday Alistair... It was blowing a hoolie all day here.

Pretty windy at the moment too, 25-30 knots ENE in the estuary at the moment with the sun shining.. Are you coming out for a sail?

Al.

alistair - 5-3-2013 at 18:36

Sorry I missed your post - yesterday I was looking at houses and today arranging a survey for the one we like and enjoying the sun. I hadn't realised it was windy enough - I suppose Aber is more sheltered. This is where local knowledge helps - and maybe why I've missed the wind on other trips. Though I think I've had more than my fair share of sun on visits so there might be some benefit in me moving here - I hope it doesn't rain over here

What is it likely to do Wed/Thu/Fri? When I look at the forecast it doesn't look enough but maybe the estuary at high tide?

How bad is the flooding on the way to the estuary? I turned back at the caravan site on Sunday after a walk on the beach as it was dusk and hard to tell.

justal - 5-3-2013 at 22:21

We'll have to wait and see what the wind does - if it stays more easterly than southerly then we should be fine... It's been pretty good so far though. Sunday looks as though it could b e really good at the mo.

The flooding is fine... You can drive through it no problem.

Al.

justal - 6-3-2013 at 06:43

Looking good so far tis morning. 25-30 knots ENE again according to the weather station - probably a bit more in the estuary.

Al.

alistair - 6-3-2013 at 09:08

What time today might work? I assume it is the estuary with ENE around high time which I think is 3pm? So sometime between 1pm - 5pm?

justal - 6-3-2013 at 09:31

Yep, that should do it.... Currently gusting to 40 knots!

I'll see if I can get there around hight tide as well.

Al.

alistair - 6-3-2013 at 09:46

Hopefully it will still be blowing and I'll make it out this afternoon. It would be good to have company as I've never sailed the estuary before.

Is this the katabatic wind effect as xcweather doesn't show much wind?

justal - 6-3-2013 at 09:55

Yep - Good old Ivor!!!!

Al.

justal - 6-3-2013 at 16:56

Well, that was a nice little session... Thanks for posting here Alistair and encouraging me to go out.

Sorry I had to rush off, but Tom's friend wanted to borrow a pump for his kite and I had to be back ready to go slack-lining with Morgan.... It's non-stop here!

Hope you had a good session and hope you manage to get out again this week. Good luck with the house hunting - hopefully next time we're out sailing you'll be a local too!!

Al.

alistair - 6-3-2013 at 22:06

Great to get out for the first session of the year and find that it really is windy here - it's hard to believe the difference a few miles makes.

Good to meet up. Thanks for coming out - no worries about rushing off. Hopefully it won't be long until I'm local