Board logo

Bristol Scale (a new beaufort scale?)
justal - 4-9-2004 at 07:20

This was posted on the Boards forums, but as its generally one of my favourite topics of conversation I thought I'd post it here for everyone to comment on!

quote:
Researchers at Bristol Royal Infirmary have come up with what they describe as a "user-friendly" seven-point scale – "the Bristol stool form scale" – against which you can measure your own stools.

1. Separate hard lumps, like nuts.
2. Sausage-shaped, but lumpy.
3. Like a sausage or snake but with cracks on its surface.
4. Like a sausage or snake, smooth and soft.
5. Soft blobs with clear-cut edges.
6. Fluffy pieces with ragged edges, a mushy stool.
7. Water, no solid pieces.

You couldn't make it up, could you ? Perhaps taking the lead from the "beaufort scale" used by the sailing community, we now have a handy point of reference to measure how "radical" a windsurf/kitesurf session was by a combination of the Beaufort and the Bristol scale:

"It was a force 6 out on the water, but in the pub afterwards it was a good 7 on the Bristol scale"

Maybe I should add a Bristol Scale option to the diaries..although I think diet may have a bearing on it as well as the days session on the water!! I know mine rarely drops below a 6 (and can be quite gusty at times!!!)

Al.

griptool - 4-9-2004 at 18:59

Nice scale

Maybe we can incorperate into the stoke factor depend on velocity at impact!!!

"moley had his front claws out this morning(bristol scale 4), I think I've dented the pan. well stoked, I give it 5 stars"

Wes - 6-9-2004 at 07:35

There is something very wrong with some people!

justal - 6-9-2004 at 16:07

Those constantly at 7 on the Bristol Scale probably have something wrong with them!

Al

dunk - 6-9-2004 at 16:17

Last night in the curry house, the forecast was S 7 decresing 4 and it was going to be hot!!!!!!!!!!!!

badexcuseforasailor - 6-9-2004 at 21:27

I wonder what a storm force 10 is

rob - 6-9-2004 at 22:40

i nearly had a force 999 as i almost rode into a jaguar in the estuary earlier!

justanna - 7-9-2004 at 09:14

I'm surprised, considering how interested Al seems to be in this matter, that there isn't a place in the diaries to record the days movements! Definately more usful than how windy it is!

justal - 7-9-2004 at 17:19

Tell you what... reckon I'd be top of the Hall of Fame each month if thats what was recorded in the diaries.... My Stoke Factor would be off the scale!

Al.