Board logo

The Estuary!!
darren byrne - 13-3-2006 at 17:37

Need some advice about the Estuary. I am thinking of coming up to Borth side on Thursday to kite in the Estuary in the easterlies that are forecast. Just need some advice on the tides and the dangers of the estuary for someone with not too much kitesurf experience.

I know some of you lot use the estuary alot, hope you guys can help!

justal - 13-3-2006 at 17:55

High tide thursday is about 8.50am.... The safest time to be in the estuary is a couple of hours before high tide really, but for kiting you can usually kite in the channels at all states of the tide (except at extreme low tide on springs)... The only real 'danger' is around the point on an ebbing spring tide where the currents get really strong. If you loose your board there then you will probably never see it again!

On the whole it is pretty safe as there isn't really anywhere you can go in an Easterly other than back to the beach unless you get out beyond the point.

Al.

darren byrne - 14-3-2006 at 12:02

thanks for that Al. Not looking like I'll be up on Thurs now anyway (can't get day off, doh!) but it is looking like the wind is forecast the same for the weekend, so hopefully be up then, tides might be better also

justal - 14-3-2006 at 14:26

Looks to me as though the winds in the estuary just might go a little mad on Friday and Saturday... When it does its thing you have to see it to believe it.

Al.

darren byrne - 14-3-2006 at 16:54

Not sure whether to be scared or excited. I know the wind is usually alot stronger than forecast in the estuary. Is there a common scale on how much stronger it is likely to be?

justal - 14-3-2006 at 17:09

It's always difficult to predict... Sometimes in the spring (around about now!) it can be virtually still everywhere else but blowing a hoolie (30 knots) in the estuary just because of the katabatic wind that funnels down from the hills.

Normally, if it is 15 knots NE or E elsewhere then you can expect 20-25 knots in the estuary, if it is 20 knots elsewhere then it could be 30-40 knots in there!.. Sometime a SE elsewhere will even swing around and become a decent wind in the estuary as well, but it us usually REALLY gusty when that happens.

The forecast on WindGuru for Saturday morning at the moment is around 15 knots, with my modified wind speeds on WindGuru that shows up as 20 knots, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than that, especially if the sun breaks through in the morning which always seems to help the wind along.

Al.

darren byrne - 14-3-2006 at 17:26

It sounds like it could be worth the drive. Probably be up the weekend, give it a go.

Spooker - 14-3-2006 at 17:27

well I've got this little 7m airush trio that I've never flown in anger..... maybe this is the weekend....?

Fat Shady - 14-3-2006 at 19:45

Dont start that again !

Every week we make plans on a forecast that changes by the weekend

Spooker - 14-3-2006 at 21:15

And I've got the solution - a wakeboard!

er... anyone got a speedboat??

Fart Boy - 15-3-2006 at 07:34

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Shady
Dont start that again !

Every week we make plans on a forecast that changes by the weekend
#

It's what gets you through the week dude

justal - 15-3-2006 at 07:40

Still looking good for Fri and Sat morning though, and usually when there's an Easterly forecast it does materialise here... There was plenty last weekend even though the forecast was SE... Looks OK at the mo for this weekend... Gonna be a cold one though with temps around 1-4¬?C by the looks of it... If that's coupled with a 25-30 knot wind its gonna be fun!

Al.

shem - 15-3-2006 at 11:19

Bring on Friday. Ive got a film crew coming over, so if you wanna be on thelly get there for Friday afternoon!! Land and water kiters welcome.

justal - 15-3-2006 at 12:28

Shem... Will you be passing my house?? If so I may need a lift to the beach with some kit if I can make it as my van is broken at the moment... Shame really as it is 20 knots in the estuary at the moment and I could do with a little warm up session seeing as I haven't been out for a while.

Al.

rob - 15-3-2006 at 12:36

fancy a sesh in the estuary al?

justal - 15-3-2006 at 13:19

Sorry Rob, don't have the time now as I have to gte Morgan from nursery in 90 mins... Not a lot of water left in there now either.

Al.

rob - 15-3-2006 at 13:27

no problemo... was quite looking forward to getting in the water for a change. not sure if i can make friday, especially getting over to the otherside

justal - 15-3-2006 at 13:52

What do you mean 'the other side'... I think all the action will be on this side of the estuary.

Al.

rob - 15-3-2006 at 13:56

really... might have to come down then!!

justal - 15-3-2006 at 14:03

Anything to get on the telly hey Rob!!!

Al.

rob - 15-3-2006 at 14:19

thats a point actually, what tv program is it gonna be?? could be top dogging spots in west wales for all i know!!

rob - 15-3-2006 at 14:21

and looking at the forecast for friday it will be going ballistic, 17kts the BBC say... so thats about 30kts in estuary terms? perfect 16m weather!

Pluto - 15-3-2006 at 22:26

mmm. It all sounds far too good to be true! Might just pull a sicky!

Pluto - 15-3-2006 at 22:27

What was that about dogging? On tv??

Must get sky....

justal - 16-3-2006 at 07:21

quote:
Originally posted by rob
and looking at the forecast for friday it will be going ballistic, 17kts the BBC say... so thats about 30kts in estuary terms? perfect 16m weather!

Just a thought Rob, by Firday afternoon there won't be much water in the estuary... If the wind is E and 30 knots I might try for a flat water speed session off the sea-front instead... All depends just how much water is left in the channel really... I'll take a look this afternoon as the tide heights are the same for today and tomorrow.

Al.

justal - 16-3-2006 at 18:00

Still looking good for tomorrow... I should finish work at around midday, so could get to the beach around 1pm after I've pfaffed around getting all my kit into Anna's car!

I checked the estuary today at around 3.50pm and there was virtually no water at all so I'm hoping that there will be enough wind for a session on the seafront. Failing that I might sail in amongst the sandbanks of the Dovey Bar (launching from the seafront) but if there isn't enough wind for that I guess I'll have to find the biggest channel I can in the estuary and use that... It's gotta be good for my gybing anyway having to turn around every 100 metres or so!

Al.

rob - 16-3-2006 at 18:10

might have to give it a miss after all, gotta get home early... going out to see a band!

justal - 16-3-2006 at 18:15

Oh well... I did 'forget' to mention that it was also snowing pretty heavily when I was there this arvo, and has been on and off all day long. It's gonna be cold out there!!

Talking of snow I was talking to someone who was up at Lake Vyrnwy yesterday and he reckons there was plenty of snow up there for snow-boarding on, and there is even a light covering on the local hills here again now, so we may end up making another trip to the hills this weekend!

Al.

rob - 16-3-2006 at 19:28

ooohhh, haven't seen any here... i will be back in aber to go to the union saturday night so could be up for a ski sunday if the weather looks good (and the hangover isn't that bad!)

shem - 16-3-2006 at 20:37

Film crew still coming, its a branch of the pop factory.

justal - 17-3-2006 at 08:08

Not that windy yet... But it was blowing a hoolie last night.. I've just had to wander around the garden picking up the debris, finding the dustbins and garden furniture etc and extracting them from various hedges!!

Al.

shem - 17-3-2006 at 09:02

Im gonnan head over now in a bit, looks super gusty though hey!!

justal - 17-3-2006 at 12:27

Just got back from there and it is a bit gusty... around 18 knots at the mo, but has been gusting to 25ish in the last hour.

I'm gonna wait to see if it fills in a little more then head off to the seafront if there is enough... Too many people trying to get on the TV in the estuary!

Al.

darren byrne - 17-3-2006 at 14:23

Can anyone give me an estimate of the times the estuary is likely to be kitesurfable with the tide times for Saturday and Sunday?

justal - 17-3-2006 at 16:13

Typical... The wind is beginning to pick up a bit now that it's getting a little too late for me to go out.

There should be enough water between about 6.30am until 12.30pm tomorrow.

Al.

shem - 17-3-2006 at 16:13

Top sesh thius morning, but even as the tide had dropped around mid day, Pluto was having a wicked powered session, still plenty of water around as well.

Bloody windy as well!!

darren byrne - 17-3-2006 at 17:17

Thanks Al and shem, not sure I'm going to make it don't normally get near the water til midday unless we get a REALLY early start, 2.5hr drive and all that.

rob - 17-3-2006 at 18:34

how many people turned up then?? when is it gonna be on tv?? all excited can't wait to see it lol!

danh - 17-3-2006 at 18:35

You wanna get a really early start darren, i reguarly set out at 6 in the morning to get to dyfi by 8. Thinking about heading upto ligwy though judging by al,s forecasts in the estuary im gonna need a smaller kite.

shem - 17-3-2006 at 19:22

on tv in 2 weeks time, Ill post details nearer

justal - 18-3-2006 at 15:11

The estuary certainly lived up to expectations today... had a nice blast in 30-40 knot winds and sunshine. It is still blowing a hoolie out there now as well. mark came out for a windsurf too and now he and Daz have headed over to the seafront for a speed session in the silky smooth waters there.

Shem was the only kiter to give it a go. He launched his kite for a few seconds, but soon decided it was ll too much.

I was out with my 4.5m sail which was OK, but a 4m would have been a little more comfortable.. There wasn't enough wind for my 3.4m.

Don't you just love this place!!

Al.

Fat Shady - 18-3-2006 at 15:40

Al, will the tide be any good in the estuary tomorow ?

I was going to go to N.Wales but if it is NE then the estuary might be a better bet if the tide is right.

It looks like the wind should back off a bit for tomorow. so hopefully ok for kite surfing

justal - 18-3-2006 at 17:34

Yep, should be fine in there tomorrow... High tide is around 10.20am, so it will be sailable between 7am and 1.30pm at least.

I'm hoping it will be just as windy as today but that doesn't look quite so likely.. Mind you a nice 25 knots will be enough.

Al.

shem - 18-3-2006 at 20:11

A light wind 25 knot session would be lovely!!!

Fat Shady - 18-3-2006 at 21:50

See you there

Pluto - 18-3-2006 at 23:25

Shem you pussey!!!!

Got baby sitter arranged so back for more punishment tomorrow!

Got my 5m trainer kite at the ready!! It is supposed to be for my 2 year old boy but hey, he's not getting it yet...

shem - 19-3-2006 at 07:25

Nice one, see ya in a bit then!!

danh - 19-3-2006 at 22:29

any good today guys?

shem - 20-3-2006 at 07:52

ye, it was 25 knots again in the morning.

justal - 20-3-2006 at 11:37

I've just been down to the estuary again today (Monday) and once again it was nice and sunny with a decent 20-25 knot wind.

Still too ill to lay though

Al.

Pluto - 20-3-2006 at 12:53

Where were you all then? You all scared of a bit of wind.....?

I was actually joking about the 5m, but it works very nicely!! Tim & I had the estuary to ourselves yesterday. Quite well powered on the 5. Enough to not bother with the 7 anyway. Isn't this place great???

andy B - 20-3-2006 at 17:40

a hm, excuse me pluto scared of a bit of wind, 5m i would say you are dude!!!!!!

Fat Shady - 21-3-2006 at 18:16

Pluto if you had got up earlier, you would have seen 4 of us out on kites ranging from 8 to 10m