Board logo

Here we go - Epic winds for the weekend
justal - 4-10-2010 at 06:11

Things are looking pretty good for the end of the week with some strong Easterly winds forecast.

Friday looks OK, Saturday looks pretty windy, 30 knots or so in the estuary and Sunday looks completely mad at the moment. COuld be time to get the speed kit out

Tides are pretty big though with high tides around 9.30-10 am so getting the estuary just right for the speed channels will need to be timed right with the tides.

Mind you, if it does end up being 40 knots and dead easterly then the seafront should be pretty good too.

There should be some wind about earlier in the week as well. Autumn is here!!

Al.

col123 - 4-10-2010 at 07:30

there you go jinx it why dont you..

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

col123 - 4-10-2010 at 08:29

talking of mega winds and easterlies..

whats the score with the leri, that channel from the railway crossing towards borth looks mighty fast....

i see there's a footbridge etc..

any access issues??

mNeil - 4-10-2010 at 17:17

Col you about at last then?
really wish it was westerlys though!

col123 - 4-10-2010 at 18:47

yes mate, went down woolacombe last weekend, fantatstic weekend, big big surf and clean with the cross off winds, 12m weather, trying some new kit out and a new naish surf board, great fun etc..

if and its a big if the weathber holds i'll be up mid morning on sat (coming off nights) and hopefully up for a mad session .

But we know who to blame if the wind drops

DON'T WE AL!!!!

he mentioned it on a monday tut tut

justal - 5-10-2010 at 07:53

I have looked at the Leri speed channel before now, but have never sailed it. It's quite narrow but should be OK and it is in the middle of a Nature Reserve. I guess for top speeds you'd need a NE so that you had a nice broad reach and then would have to walk back upwind.

A dead easterly would be sailable in both directions but you the runs would be too close to the wind for anything really fast.

I'm not saying a word but the charts look MAD at the moment. It's been a while since there have been so many stars on WindGuru.

Al.

Spooker - 6-10-2010 at 15:20

Is Wednesday too early to make observations about the weekend?

I mean Al has already spoilt it by being far too premature in that....

But currently Sat and Sun are looking unseasonably warm(ish), sunny, and very breezy - maybe just maybe a couple of classic mornings in the estuary....

col123 - 6-10-2010 at 15:42

i'm that confident ive booked friday night off work to come and play.

Spooker - 6-10-2010 at 15:51

And I'm that impatient I'm gonna sneak out of work at lunchtime friday and try for a tea-time sail

tompowell - 6-10-2010 at 16:35

Hey guys,,are you talking about wind surfing the east wind or is it good for kiting too,,would be awesome to get a session this weekend havent kited dovey for over ayear

mNeil - 6-10-2010 at 16:37

think i will miss the chop and bigger CHOP and even bigggggeeeeerrrr CHOPPPPP

shem - 6-10-2010 at 18:32

Ill be on it all friday morning Col, and who ever else is playing.Ill prob go off ynys las, but have a tattoo apointment at 1pm, so will be on the water till mid day. Looks epic :0 oh and hopfully some swell as well, any one up for a off/x off wave sesh, we cud set up a couple of canoes or sups for rescues if needed. Im keen.

col123 - 6-10-2010 at 20:05

yea neil but high tide is 10am so as the tide drops speed sessions or boosty boosting in the estuaury or even off the sea front waves should be good with flat water to boot

justal - 7-10-2010 at 08:24

Still looking good. Time to dust off the speed kit.

Al.

danh - 7-10-2010 at 11:49

Wonders will never cease, i'll be over as well.

Twice in a month, who'd have thought it.

mNeil - 7-10-2010 at 14:17

going to the Docs about my knee; dont think the chop would do it any good anyway and get bored on flat water to boot!

col123 - 7-10-2010 at 15:58

mind he doesn't put you down to put you out of your misery..

shem - 7-10-2010 at 21:00

Ouch. Bad boy col. Estuary 9 am start tmoro .

justal - 8-10-2010 at 07:07

I have yet to decide whether to sail the estuary or the seafront - Probably the estuary, but maybe a little later once the tide has dropped a touch and the sandbanks are visible.

Al.

col123 - 8-10-2010 at 08:36

bad boy i know shem but at neils age, by the time he has got to the coast he'd have forgotton the comment anyway...

A true fact of spooker and neil is that they have memo pads on the dash board of the motorhomes saying KITESURFING in big letters so when they arrive they know why they drove all that way..

Thats why i haven't been to the coast for a long time, i turn left out my drive and then forget where i'm going

snoozer11 - 8-10-2010 at 10:40

Brilliant session from 7.15am till 10 in the estuary Friday morning... till the stupid plastic clip on my board leash reel snapped clean in two after a big wipout. Thanks to whoever retrieved my board Was fortunate really because I just made it back to work for an 11am meeting, surely would have been late otherwise. Helluva high tide - Back wheels of the car underwater but jut managed to get it out Hopefully more of the same tomorrow...
Neal.

Spooker - 8-10-2010 at 11:11

Col's right for once. Thats the reason I don't venture out of the van some weekends - the bloody piece of paper has dropped off the dash

justal - 9-10-2010 at 05:22

Gonna rig in the dark and try to catch the speed channel at first light.... Although it is still VERY dark out there!

Al.

justal - 9-10-2010 at 08:24

Just got back from my session in the estuary.

Started in the dark to catch the speed channel and then stopped as the estuary filled with water. Pretty fast out there, but not quite fast enough.

Top Speed was 36.38 knots.

Diary Entry here.

Al.

justal - 9-10-2010 at 08:25

Surfing next as it is going off out there!

Al.

jpglambert - 13-10-2010 at 14:29

I surf, but are the westerlys as sought after too for kite surfers? I imagine for sailors it isn't too important.

justal - 14-10-2010 at 06:32

Luckily here we can got out windsurfing and kitesurfing in pretty much any direction as we can use the estuary as well as the seafront - You don't want Westerlys for the surf though, you need the offshore easterlies for that.

Al.

flyingrabbit - 14-10-2010 at 09:06

flyingrabbit - 14-10-2010 at 09:15

Hi,
What is the estuary like for windsurfing? Is it really shallow? and very tidal? I am an experienced windsurfer but not up too you guys sailing in a gale!! I buggy most weeks if poss off the golf course....also kayaked a few times down stream to Aberdovey, then across, very strong currents that day!!
Any advise would be welcomed
thanks

justal - 14-10-2010 at 09:29

It can be great, but will depend on the tides. Water state can vary from dead flat to choppy, but it's never really rough. Best wind directions is a NE, but many beginners use the estuary in all directions as it is a little more sheltered than the seafront and offers flat water sailing conditions.

You do of course need to be a ware of the tides and the currents. ON neaps you can sail throughout the tides, but on Springs there isn't enough water on this side of the estuary at low tide.

If there's wind from a NE direction then it's likely that there will be someone else out for you to sail with.

Al.

flyingrabbit - 14-10-2010 at 17:13

Thanks for that, I am an experienced windsurfer, but a little rusty. Used to teach part time..but now falling apart and waiting for a new knee!! so only comfortable on flat water.

regards
Sally