Board logo

Is Borth still afloat
Spooker - 3-1-2014 at 14:42

Rumour has it that following the storm earlier - Borth is a bit like a war zone and that Ynyslas now has a new boating lake - where the car-park used to be?

Al - have you had chance to go take a look - and mebbe a cupla pickys??

justal - 3-1-2014 at 16:21

Yep, Borth is a mess and the boating lake is looking good. Some photos I took earlier here:

http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2014/beach-re-sculpting-ynyslas-floods/

Aberystwyth is quite a mess too. Take a look at these videos from the seafront earlier.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2014-01-03/video-huge-waves-hit-aberystwyth-seafront/

High tide tonight isn't quite so big, but the wind and waves are set to increase overnight and tomorrow mornings tide is just as big as today. Hopefully the winds will have eased considerably by then though otherwise we're in for another battering.

col123 - 3-1-2014 at 20:36

are any houses your end affected, or flooded searivers site, i know ive been before on a high tide with water up the road from the beach, i'd imagine its quite the way up past the disabled parkingbays by the visitor centre

justal - 4-1-2014 at 13:34

We were evacuated in the end, but all seems OK this morning now that we are at home:

http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2014/evacuated/

There's quite a big swell now though and the sea was breaking over the top of the sea wall all along the golf course again this morning.

Al.

justal - 4-1-2014 at 13:40

Here's a photo of the Golf Course Car Park this morning!

Al.

col123 - 4-1-2014 at 14:18

good to here your all ok.....

mmm carpark kiting...........

.........been there done that......

alistair - 5-1-2014 at 09:56

Good to hear you weren't flooded. Is Borth a mess like Aber?

mNeil - 5-1-2014 at 10:40

Must admit the stench of sewage on the way out over the railway from ynyslas last Friday morning was a bit worrying . Think they also need a SOG system Spooks!

col123 - 5-1-2014 at 16:43

sure you're bag hadn't split Neil!!

mNeil - 5-1-2014 at 23:17

Would have felt it Col, anyway I now wear the ones you recommended and agree with you totally, they are the business!

justal - 6-1-2014 at 07:02

Yep, Borth is quite a mess as well... Plenty of flooding, debris everywhere. The sea wall has been destroyed all along the gold course and the walls around the grass by the toilets has been knocked over and strewn across the road too... There are also plenty of pebbles, boulders and sand all over the road as well.

Not quite as bad as the seafront in Aber, but only because there was slightly less stuff in Borth to be destroyed!

Al

justal - 8-1-2014 at 16:51

Plenty more photos on my weblog of the storm damage at Ynsylas.

We are standing strong though!

Al.

justal - 8-1-2014 at 16:52

And some from Aberystwyth too:

http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2014/aberystwyth-prom-storm-damage/

Al.

John Mason - 10-1-2014 at 16:02

Some of mine - damage survey and Monday's megawaves:

http://www.geologywales.co.uk/storms/winter14a.htm

mNeil - 12-1-2014 at 16:40

is the Queen Vic still operational?

alistair - 13-1-2014 at 08:57

Is the beach accessible at Ynyslas now or is it still only lake sailing in the car park? Wednesday looks like there might be wind if I could fit it in time wise.

justal - 13-1-2014 at 15:57

Business as usual at the Vic as far as I know, and you can get into the Golf Course Car Park, but only the southern end of it.

Al.

Spooker - 14-1-2014 at 11:49

this is the position as of Sunday, the water has dropped 3 or 4 feet, but still a good 3' deep at the centre.

Spooker - 14-1-2014 at 11:50

supposed to be a picture attached, but I rarely seem to be able to accomplish that?
you'll just have to imagine it for the moment

[Edited on 14-1-2014 by Spooker]

col123 - 15-1-2014 at 10:31

Spooks I think you've left the lens cap on......or run out of film in your box brownie

Spooker - 15-1-2014 at 13:33

not my box brownie - rather it's Al's dodgy website!

Al - trying to load an image only 152kb - and I get an error that it is too big...!

And I'm not often told that

justal - 16-1-2014 at 06:51

It's probably too big then. I've probably set the max size for images in the forum to be around 100kb, but I can't remember off the top of my head. That should be plenty big enough for photos. It's pretty much the limit I set myself for any photo on websites. Why does it have to be that big?... It could be the dimensions rather than the file size as well as I'm sure I set a limit for that once somewhere as well!

Email me the photo and I'll optimise it for the web for you and upload it.

Or alternatively put it in the photo galleries and link to it there, as the limits are a little more generous in the photo galleries.

Al.

Spooker - 16-1-2014 at 08:28

ok try this....

col123 - 19-1-2014 at 18:29

did you kite it spooks??

justal - 20-1-2014 at 06:15

Kiting the Car Park Lake:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152181654080522&set=vb.577215521&type=2&theater />
Al.

Spooker - 20-1-2014 at 10:40

No wind when I was there Col

col123 - 7-2-2014 at 19:59

i was at borth today, and the carpark is still flooded, most people where parking at the end of the shingle, pot holed track, but you could just about park on the left if you dont mind driving through a few inches of water..

most of the grass banks are deep in pebbles, and where you used to jump over the wooden groins there is no drop off just now filled with pebbles.

certainly taken a battering,

mind you on the plus side out the wind it was loverly and sunny with blue skies and a 15knts wind

Blaschito - 8-2-2014 at 21:23

Despite the car park being flooded is anyone thinking of going out tomorrow? Wind seems to drop a bit..I may give a go (at least take a look) at midday!

alistair - 9-2-2014 at 08:54

I can't make it today - and the wind hasn't dropped much yet. I need to get out soon before the withdrawal symptoms get more severe!

justal - 9-2-2014 at 21:15

Did you get out? I saw a kite up around 11:30 but couldn't get out myself as I had to take Morgan to a birthday party and go shopping for ingredients for a massive Biryani.... Mmm Mmmmm!

It looked pretty rough out there though and the wind has been pretty gusty too.

Al.

Blaschito - 10-2-2014 at 21:03

No I did not go at the end as tide was up in the early afternoon and wind was still a bit mental early in the morning ..but i regret it as I think I missed out..I am dying for a session..let's wait for some warmer weather and mainly for some smaller tidal ranges...hooe you enjoyed your biryani!

quote:
Originally posted by justal
Did you get out? I saw a kite up around 11:30 but couldn't get out myself as I had to take Morgan to a birthday party and go shopping for ingredients for a massive Biryani.... Mmm Mmmmm!

It looked pretty rough out there though and the wind has been pretty gusty too.

Al.

alistair - 13-2-2014 at 07:36

Looks like the 70kt gust has done for the weather station

Hopefully Al hasn't got blown away.

justal - 13-2-2014 at 09:02

Yep, we're OK, but the power went out when that gust hit and hasn't come back on yet.

The weather station is still up and running though, I just can't upload the data to the web.

We had to cook on the wood burning stove last night under candle-light. The nicest jacket potatoes ever though!

Al.