Board logo

Wind Forecasts
justal - 7-3-2004 at 06:52

Lots of people have been asking me where to find a detailed Wind-guru style forecast for Borth, so I'll give you access to it. Its actually been set up like this for years, but I just haven't linked to it...

Forecasts Intro

Borth Forecast

Cold Knap, Barry (S.Wales) Forecast

Newgale (Pembs) Forecast

Rhosneigr Forecast

Wales Forecast

Hope its useful. I've put a modified windspeed in for Borth as wellto try to take account for the local conditions, but its a little difficult to do accurately as it all dpends on the weather and temperature as well as the wind direction (i.e. Cold sunny mornings produce a katabatic wind in the estuary which won't show up on these forecasts)....

Let me know what you think as it may all be a little cramped on screens with low resolutions.

Al.

shem - 7-3-2004 at 08:01

Morning Al. Dont care about the forcasts, cos theres wind now, SSSSWWWWEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!! Are you getting out?

justal - 7-3-2004 at 09:00

I went to go out, but then the wind dropped. Chris and Mike did get in the water, but gave up as there wsn't wnough wind for their 17m kites..... Seems to have filled in a bit again now.

Grrrr.....

Al.

rob - 7-3-2004 at 16:04

for real-time wind info you could try

http://www.xcweather.co.uk

rob

justal - 7-3-2004 at 17:29

xcweather just gets its info from the wave bouys (they use the Aberporth Bouy, the weather station at RAF Valley and the Milford Haven bouy for their locations in Wales), so you are better off looking at the raw data from the bouys... I have some software on my computer that connects to the bouys and updates the info every coulple of minutes (when I'm online) so its pretty up to date and you can also look back through the readings for the last 24 hours to get an idea of the trend.

XCweather just condenses this all into one page I guess. WindGuru always seems to be the most accurate forecast page (even though its coming from The Czech Republic!) theyr.net is good too. Both are certainly more accurate than the BBC anyway!!! There are loads of others in the links section too.... Fo course, none of them take into account the local conditions here at Borth like the forecasts on this site.

Al.

Jonny - 9-3-2004 at 15:11

If your on the move and dont have access to the internet but have a mobile phone with WAP. I use XC weather and compare the Aberporth Buoy/ Aberporth weather stations to Llanbedr's station to work out what wind conditions would be like for Borth. The data will usually be an hour behind but I find it very useful, especially so when it comes to flying conditions back at home where you can also get information on Cloudbase height, type of clouds, temperature, dew point etc.
The Mobile WAP URL address is http://xcw1.com />
[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Jonny]